• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confessions of a speculator.

120 posts in this topic

Here are my hoards of Ghost Rider #5 and 6 (versus the Punisher), and a few #15's (glow in the dark cover). I believe I have many more of the #15's stashed somewhere.

I have about ten of the GR #5's signed by Javier Saltares, on the first page. Before CGC SS. :(

hoards5001.jpg

I have one full spare bedroom, dedicated to nothing but comic books. Plus another closet and part of my office.

My wife ain't happy about that though. But I am King of my Castle. Not King of Comics yet. That title belongs to another. :)

I don't know, if you go into General Discussion and start claiming you are King there are a few in this thread that will have your back. I mean really what are those old foggies gonna do against us young speculating bucks? :insane:

I know some of these books would sell for a profit in 9.8 and especially 9.9 or 10 if you have any that can pull off the insanely high grades. Have you thought about subbing some of these or have you even subbed some of these titles before?

I have one full spare bedroom, dedicated to nothing but comic books. Plus another closet and part of my office.

My wife ain't happy about that though. But I am King of my Castle. Not King of Comics yet. That title belongs to another. :)

I don't know, if you go into General Discussion and start claiming you are King there are a few in this thread that will have your back. I mean really what are those old foggies gonna do against us young speculating bucks? :insane:

lol

I'm amazed the wife has put up with your "collection" for so long :insane:

my wife soured on my collection when i sent a long box of comics to a guy in NY (i was stationed in europe at the time). We had a good relationship so i didn't get the payment first.

yeah, he stiffed me. Granted they wouldn't be worth a ton today but had at least 50 New Mutants 98 in the box among other 'speculator stuff' at the time.

Now she thinks everyone i sell comics to is a potential crook.

my wife soured on my collection when i sent a long box of comics to a guy in NY (i was stationed in europe at the time). We had a good relationship so i didn't get the payment first.

yeah, he stiffed me. Granted they wouldn't be worth a ton today but had at least 50 New Mutants 98 in the box among other 'speculator stuff' at the time.

Now she thinks everyone i sell comics to is a potential crook.

She might be right.....

In most states you can enlarge the statue of limitations on a contract by having one party reaffirm the debt ... you could always email the thief and ask him to agree to start making payments then when he doesn't you could sue him for a few thousand as a matter of principle. That's disgusting behavior. There is nothing worse than being cheated by a friend!

I know some of these books would sell for a profit in 9.8 and especially 9.9 or 10 if you have any that can pull off the insanely high grades. Have you thought about subbing some of these or have you even subbed some of these titles before?

I believe some of these would get 9.8. I do not think any would get higher than 9.8.

I have never submitted a book to CGC, newer than silver age. My main collecting goal is golden age, with a lot of silver age also. I have stopped buying modern and copper books. Unless I want to read them. I also have stopped buying raw books. CGC just takes way too long to do their thing. Cheaper and less hassle, to buy my books already slabbed. Leaves out the guess work.

I bought three books that soured me on raw books, as when I submitted them. They all three came back PLOD's.

An AF #15 (4.5 but trimmed), a Kid Colt #1 (pieces added, but would have been the highest graded at that time), and an Eerie #1 (first horror comic, 7.0 but color touch).

Now, if it is for my collection, it comes to me slabbed.

Two were from a "friend". A fellow collector. He claimed he bought them from one of the auction houses. I believe he said Sothebys.

The AF #15 was from an LCS. Queen City Comics in Cincinnati. I did not find out it was trimmed until years later, when third party grading came about.

@conditionfreak... I bet it'd be easy to flip a lot of those as sets here on the boards... I know there are a bunch of those things you're holding that I'd love to pick up a copy of, and I imagine there are at least a few more who remember that stuff fondly but never paid the "hot" price for stuff.