• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is 9.0 considered high grade for pre 1965 comic books?

38 posts in this topic

I would still contend that 8.0 and higher is considered high grade. A 6.0 may be the highest known grade for a particular book, but that does not make that copy a high grade book.

It's true that many books don't have all that many high grade examples, and some GA books do not exist in high grade at all. It is also true that a copper book in 9.0 may not be all that exciting. But this gets back to moving the goal posts on collectibility or desirability. The highest known copy of a GA book, even if it is a 6.0, is still a highly desirable book. Meanwhile, a 9.0 copper book is almost certainly not that exciting (with rare exceptions like TMNT #1). That gets back to the collectibility aspect. Something can be high grade, but that won't make it desirable or collectible (in the case of the 9.0 copper book), while the 6.0 GA book is not high grade in the academic sense, but it is highly desirable and collectible.

The fact of a book being high grade (i.e. 8.0 or above) is completely separate from whether or not that book is desirable or collectible for a particular individual in that grade.

7.5 to me for pre '65 books is high grade since it's technically a VF-.

I've heard and occasionally participated in the debate. I think from a technical standpoint it makes more sense to call a VF- the beginning of high grade rather than calling it the very top of mid grade. Everyone agrees NM- is a NM grade, so why wouldn't VF- be a VF grade?

I would still contend that 8.0 and higher is considered high grade. A 6.0 may be the highest known grade for a particular book, but that does not make that copy a high grade book.

It's true that many books don't have all that many high grade examples, and some GA books do not exist in high grade at all. It is also true that a copper book in 9.0 may not be all that exciting. But this gets back to moving the goal posts on collectibility or desirability. The highest known copy of a GA book, even if it is a 6.0, is still a highly desirable book. Meanwhile, a 9.0 copper book is almost certainly not that exciting (with rare exceptions like TMNT #1). That gets back to the collectibility aspect. Something can be high grade, but that won't make it desirable or collectible (in the case of the 9.0 copper book), while the 6.0 GA book is not high grade in the academic sense, but it is highly desirable and collectible.

The fact of a book being high grade (i.e. 8.0 or above) is completely separate from whether or not that book is desirable or collectible for a particular individual in that grade.

Huge +1

I agree that "high grade" and "high grade for a particular copy" are two entirely different things.

For me high grade begins at about the VF range regardless of the era, since that is where a book still has high grade characteristics...sharp corners and edges, clean, no large pieces missing, etc.

Once you drop below the VF range large defects start to accumulate.

Huge +1

I agree that "high grade" and "high grade for a particular copy" are two entirely different things.

For me high grade begins at about the VF range regardless of the era, since that is where a book still has high grade characteristics...sharp corners and edges, clean, no large pieces missing, etc.

Once you drop below the VF range large defects start to accumulate.

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I also believe high grade begins at 8.0 for any era. Whether or not the book is hard to find in high grade and therefore more collectible or desirable shouldn't impact it's inherent physical quality in my view.

Good thread. I was wondering this myself and considered starting a post over at the BA forum. i've been buying a lot of raw books off eBay over the last year and invariably, all the sellers tout "hi-grade" in their ads. Of course, I generally roll my eyes and take it with a grain of salt. This did lead me to wonder just what exactly is considered "hi-grade" in the community.

I agree with the 8.0. While it might be splitting hairs, I think of 7.5 as the upper end of mid grade. Let's face it though, out of a slab, there may be little difference between a 7.5 and a 8.0. I have a bunch in those grades.

I agree with the 8.0. While it might be splitting hairs, I think of 7.5 as the upper end of mid grade. Let's face it though, out of a slab, there may be little difference between a 7.5 and a 8.0. I have a bunch in those grades.

Depends on the defects, right?

Some 7.5 books can look just as nice as some 9.0 books.

That's why I went with VF range rather than stating VF outright.

Depends on the defects, right?

Some 7.5 books can look just as nice as some 9.0 books.

That's why I went with VF range rather than stating VF outright.

Absolutely. I've got an ASM#29 (bought it from Andre a few years back). It looks every bit a 9.0. I've never called for notes on it though.

I am still 'stuck' on this whole 9.0 or higher thing. Thanks to this thread however, I have learned two things.

Number one, I am a 'high grade snob.'

Number two, I am in the minority, concerning this issue. Heck, I have yet to own a book graded below 9.2.

That being said, this thread has caused me to think a lot about this issue. A lot of valid points were readily discussed and made. I thank you all for that.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I am still 'stuck' on this whole 9.0 or higher thing. Thanks to this thread however, I have learned two things.

Number two, I am in the minority, concerning this issue. Heck, I have yet to own a book graded below 9.2.

That being said, this thread has caused me to think a lot about this issue. A lot of valid points were readily discussed and made. I thank you all for that.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Not to beat a dead horse, but I hope you're not a Green Lantern fan, as neither Showcase # 22 nor 24 exist yet in 9.2+. Neither does Our Army at War 83. And these are mere Silver Age books...

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Not to beat a dead horse, but I hope you're not a Green Lantern fan, as neither Showcase # 22 nor 24 exist yet in 9.2+. Neither does Our Army at War 83. And these are mere Silver Age books...

Trust me, every book I have or want is available in 9.2 or higher. And no, I am not much of a DC fan aside from Batman and HOS 92.

I feel the same. A pre-1965 book in a 9.0 is a book that has experienced an extraordinary existence.

In the 1960s, a comic book was a comic book: most were shoved in a pocket, read, read and reread, tossed in a pile, moved from desk to shelf to box to attic. The great majority were well-loved. :)

A technical 7.5 with good paper from the early 60s, with an accumulation of small defects, is a very nice book. :grin: A 9.0 of any book from that time and earlier would be gorgeous.