• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #1 Expert Needed
4 4

246 posts in this topic

OK, according to the Overstreet this is a first printing but who can really tell? The bald man is not recognizable. The lines on the house on page one of the first story are sharp and distinct. I picked it up in a collection where the other books are all from the mid-60's so it looks right, time-wise. Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the poor scans but it's the best I can do.

Thanks,

Doug

e1.jpg

e1b.jpg

e1c.jpg

e1d.jpg

I suppose this is the reason why CGC doesn't grade these. My guess is you'll need to find a collector or dealer who has handled this book previously, and they may be able to authenticate by the paper quality or some printing detail. Was this part of an OO collection?

Yes, it is from an OO collection. He just recently passed away at 70. There's no way to find out from anyone in the family. The condition is consistent with the rest of the collection. The dates are consistent but I don't know when the counterfeit copies were made. I'd assume much later.

It's definately not a second print, the cut is too even (see below)

eerie1second.jpg

And the guy on page 18 is not even there.

eerie1seconda.jpg

(hard to tell from the scan but the staples have a slight color band)

So, the question is it an original first print? It looks like one to me, but I have never had one in hand to really check out, the fakes came out about 10 years after the original printing. There are probably people out there that know exactly how to tell, Jim Warren is still alive and knows exactly how to tell the fakes. To bad cgc won't spend the time to find out how to tell the fakes, heck I am sure many people would like them graded whether they said "counterfiet" on the label or not. Just for peace of mind, they do it for other faked comics.

Doh, I forgot this is a magazine, therefore of no interest. doh!

I guess to be fair, we should look at it from the cgc bean counters aspect. It takes time to research this stuff, and there are probably less than 100 out there in the wild, and probably less than half would be graded. Meaning there is very little to gain by grading these, and there is a potential to be wrong. So the juice is not worth the squeeze for them.

:P

Thanks for the help!

Is the picture of the bald guy you posted from the second print?

As far as I know, it's from a second print. I believe it was the first print that was copied, at least that is what I have read.

Interesting reads, however to say the second print was the counterfiet is not quite correct.

From what I have read, the second print was put out by Warren in 1965 due to clamor from the fans, many were unhappy that the first issue was not available.

He printed some just to make them happy, which explains why the bald guy on page 18 is clearly visable, if it was a copy from the original, how would he be there?

If you read the $500 reward that Warren ran, it clearly states that in 1965 they produced and sold a limited number of Eerie #1 with special staples and paper.

Also they are 5 1/4 by 7 1/4, this is the second printing refered to in overstreet.

(mine fits all the criteria, the paper is nice, just not sure what is special about it)

I bought my copy from a collector, he had many Warren items of interest, even some Blazing Combat cover proof sheets.

(which he gave me one from BC #2, and I think one from BC #3, but I can't seem to locate it right now)

He even owned the cover art from Creepy #5 at one time, but sold it before I found him, otherwise my house would be in a second mortgage right now.

(not the greatest of the Frazetta covers, but I would love to own it, I have a photo somewhere around here of it in the frame that he sent me)

He also gave me one of these green Reward posters, however it seems to be printed on some type of fairly thick card stock, not regular paper.

creepymagazine-081-01ifc.jpg

There was no second print published by Warren. That is incorrect.

So Overstreet is completely wrong? Why do they even bother printing that guide then?

Wonder what Warren mailed out to people that sent in the coupon for the First Collector's Edition? (see coupons below)

eeire.jpg

The ad you linked is referring to issue 2 which was sold as a collector's edition by Warren.

The term second printing in relation to Warren's Eerie #1 refers solely to the 'original' counterfeit whcih is now collectible itself due to it's place in Warren history. However, it can be easily duplicated and suffers from the same authentication issues as the actual Warren Eerie #1.

eerie2cmag.jpg

Well, explain to me how a guy with a copier made the bald guy suddenly appear in the second print, when he was not visible in the first print?

Also, Warren said they were produced and sold:

eerieflyer1.jpg

Warren also goes on to state that the original was to cover copywrites.

eerieflyer2.jpg

Well, explain to me how a guy with a copier made the bald guy suddenly appear in the second print, when he was not visible in the first print?

Because the second print was made from the ashcans source and not simply a copy of the ashcan. For this reason many people (including me) assume that the counterfeit came from someone inisde Warren publishing. Jim Warren has hinted at this as well and that he had a strong suspicion regarding exactly who was behind the counterfeit.