• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

here's another bargain!

19 posts in this topic

Highest grade, one of only 3 in the census. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has resubmitted or found one that has been graded a 9.8. I will be buying that issue at a 9.4 in the coming months as it is available for under $500 but this is a tad rich. Of all the BSD's collectors out there there must be more than 3 of them how would want to upgrade their TTA run? Thing is how do you peg a value on an issue that is so rare at this grade? (ignoring the fact that there may well be a few more raw ones out there). confused-smiley-013.gif

Highest grade, one of only 3 in the census. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has resubmitted or found one that has been graded a 9.8. I will be buying that issue at a 9.4 in the coming months as it is available for under $500 but this is a tad rich. Of all the BSD's collectors out there there must be more than 3 of them how would want to upgrade their TTA run? Thing is how do you peg a value on an issue that is so rare at this grade? (ignoring the fact that there may well be a few more raw ones out there). confused-smiley-013.gif

That is the "current wisdom" How do you value the 9.6 over the 9.4s?

To which I keep saying, "Not by multiplying by 5!!! and ending up with a ridiculous price like this. Tops, the ,2 difference is worth to me (buying) only 50 to 100% more than 9.4. (selling MY 9.6 is a different matter entirely!!) YES, There should be a premium on the better grade, I just am adamantly against current crazy multiples for non-keys in marginally (and going forward. potentially increasingly arguable) grade differences of ,2 in these upper CGC climes.

I dare any buyer at this price to ever unload the book for what he paid. Even with a Surfer movie someday.

I have been trying to follow what the standard multiples are when to comes to 9.4's to 9.6's, mainly with early FF issues and yes I would agree that the 50%-100% more for the 9.6's is probably right. I guess what bothers me the most about the $2,500 asking price is that it is for a TTA issue after all, not what I would consider to be a top 3 (or even 5) title in terms of most wanted titles. I agree with your suggestion that at $2,500 you are probably paying for its value 20 years down the road. Interesting to see if someone does bit on it.

There are a handful of Marvel books that I would not mind owning top census grades on. But this is the problem with paying insane prices for 9.6 top census books, there is a very large possibility that a 9.8 issue will emerge and completely diminish the price that a collector pays. Especially if the book is not scarce and is a mid 60s non key book.

I just am adamantly against current crazy multiples for non-keys in marginally (and going forward. potentially increasingly arguable) grade differences of ,2 in these upper CGC climes.

I couldn't agree more. I love CGC, but there is no way their grading is tight enough to warrant that kind of fluctuation for a .2 difference. The grading guidlines themselves have not evolved enough to warrant this kind of difference. Ultimetly, I think this is what will hurt the "top census" market over the long haul.

Hi Blowout..My name is Redhook, and I'll be your troll tonight! 27_laughing.gif

Seems like I'm just following your big fat footstep around the boards!

i haven't posted any of my books on ebay yet. i'm still studying the system. one thing i have learned is not to expect anyone to initially pay $2500 for a book unless it's a Spiderman/FF/X-Men 1 in awesome condition. a lot of the books i see ending at $100 to $2000+ have starting prices <$10. if you're selling a good book in great condition, you can figure the bidding will go up. plus you can set a reserve. i don't know. it just seems starting at over $100 for a Byrne X-Men is a foolish move and yet i see new ones appearing every day and receiving no bids while the ones starting at $0.01 bring in a bit of coin for the seller.

is this a simple lesson being missed, or is there something that i'm missing?

Bryne X-Men in high grade with bids starting at $100 is not foolish. You would feel pretty choked if you let those go for $80 as you be better off holding on to those. They were super popular when they came out and will remain so for many years to come. I have to be honest though, if I had the money to burn I would have a hard time not bidding on this TTA#93. Wouldn't pay $2,500 for it but I still would love to own it.

i haven't posted any of my books on ebay yet. i'm still studying the system. one thing i have learned is not to expect anyone to initially pay $2500 for a book unless it's a Spiderman/FF/X-Men 1 in awesome condition. a lot of the books i see ending at $100 to $2000+ have starting prices <$10. if you're selling a good book in great condition, you can figure the bidding will go up. plus you can set a reserve. i don't know. it just seems starting at over $100 for a Byrne X-Men is a foolish move and yet i see new ones appearing every day and receiving no bids while the ones starting at $0.01 bring in a bit of coin for the seller.

I think it really depends on what is the minimum amount you'll be happy with for the book. For example, if you just want to move some excess books, and don't care what you get for them, list them at $.01. A lot of bidders bid on books, but an amount that's so low, it's not a realistic amount. The thinking is that people are attracted to low bids, then get into a bidding war for the book, pushing the price up.

On the other hand, for a HG Byrne X-Men, you might want $100 for the book. If so, list it at $99.99 (at $100, the listing fee goes up). If no one bids, then you still have the book. If someone bids, then you get your price. There's no guarantee that if you list the Byrne book for $.01, it'll end at $100 (unless there are some friendly shill bids). Basically, I list everything very low, and accept whatever it goes for. However, there have been some books that I sold recently that I wanted a minmum, $50 and $100, and got one bidder at $49.99 and $99.99, so I was happy.

In addition to other informed comments, I'd like to add that the number of bidders you attract is also a big factor, not just the amount bid. If you have books that typically sell with only one bid on them, your start price is the selling price, period. If you started at a penny, you eat it. Raw Byrne X-Men, on the other hand, typically attract half a dozen bids, even if less than NM. Safer to start those low.

In addition to other informed comments, I'd like to add that the number of bidders you attract is also a big factor, not just the amount bid. If you have books that typically sell with only one bid on them, your start price is the selling price, period. If you started at a penny, you eat it. Raw Byrne X-Men, on the other hand, typically attract half a dozen bids, even if less than NM. Safer to start those low.

Of course I was talking about HG (9.4+) slabbs. Haven't seen many of them are going for less than $100 unless you want to take the risk that no one bids on it and you have to give it up for less than that. Now that would be foolish. When I search for a book on EBay I usually start from the highest priced then work my way down because there is a ton of [!@#%^&^] at the lower end so by starting at $1 some of this stuff may get overooked. Buying raw on EBay is dicey at best unless it is coming from a known source.

Yet another fabulous "bargain" --

LINK

This is the Fawcett Movie Comic #15, The Man From Planet X

Has my favorite meaningless phrase:

"This comic is in good condition for its age."

Right. Lots of tape, raggedy edges.

You gotta wonder how the seller ever came up with the idea that this

book is worth several thousand dollars.

gozer

---------------------------------

And I'll have a rum and zinc.

Yet another fabulous "bargain" --

LINK

This is the Fawcett Movie Comic #15, The Man From Planet X

Has my favorite meaningless phrase:

"This comic is in good condition for its age."

Right. Lots of tape, raggedy edges.

You gotta wonder how the seller ever came up with the idea that this

book is worth several thousand dollars.

gozer

---------------------------------

And I'll have a rum and zinc.

hey watch it there buddy - a comic expert has reviewed that book and set the price and you'll be getting a steal fershur.......... grin.gif

i had to write the guy and explain that even if the book was a VG it still only guided for around $400. charging a 893whatthe.gifmultiple of nm- for that tape destroyed POS is just assinine.........