• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A GREAT time to collect/read modern comics

45 posts in this topic

Anyone recommend Umbrella Academy or Dead at 17 or any other titles as either great reads or good collectibles.

I recommend Umbrella Academy as a great read. Only 2 trades so far, so it's not a big commitment.

I also believe in the series as a collectible. A lot of people forgot about it since the last volume came out in early 2010, but Dark Horse has said there will be more. Possibly as early as the end of this year. Plus, Universal holds the rights for a movie. It might never get made, but if does...

:whee:

Now, don't automatically discount the Big Two. There are the random Marvel and DC titles that are simply excellent these days:

* X-Factor (Start with the Madrox "Multiple Choice" mini-series from 2004 that started the current run by Peter David)

* Batgirl (While I'm thoroughly enjoying the current Batgirl by Gail Simone, probably my favorite title of the NuDC, I was absolutely loving Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl run prior to the current incarnation. Issue 14's one-off team-up with Supergirl was my favorite of the run. Hilarity from start to finish.)

* Uncanny X-Force (Being praised ad naseum at this point. I'm new to the series myself, but I have to agree with everyone else's assessment - one of Marvel's best in years.)

* Daredevil (Bendis's run was thoroughly enjoyable, reigniting Ol' Hornhead's popularity. But Brubaker's run following Bendis starting with Issue 82 knocked the series out of the park.)

* Marvel Adventure titles (Especially the Avengers and "Super-Heroes" ones. Don't be fooled thinking these are just for kids. They are on par with the regular universe titles, if not exceeding them. Old school fun these.)

* Marvel Ultimate Universe series (The four new relaunched series last year for the Ultimate universe have been one of the most pleasant surprises of 2011, especially the new Ultimate Spider-Man series. NuDC pales in comparison.)

Outside of the Big Two:

* Life With Archie (I never would have guessed I'd be an Archie fan a couple of years ago. But with Archie becoming the unexpected trendsetter of the industry lately, I've become a convert. This magazine-sized series though caught me completely by surprise with how well-written and produced it is, featuring stories with more adult themes than the regular Archie universe.)

*. Invincible (The "other" Kirkman tentpole title. Completely overshadowed by TWD, but one of the best super-hero titles on the market since it premiered back in 2003.)

I'd add ASM (Slott has been PHENOMENAL) and Batman (probably the best monthly out).

I'd add ASM (Slott has been PHENOMENAL) and Batman (probably the best monthly out).

I actually considered putting ASM on the list too. I've been thoroughly enjoying the series for the most part since it's gone weekly. That Rhino storyline from a couple years ago was absolutely phenomenal, though I can't remember off hand who the creative team was on it at the time. Still, I get the sense that a lot of Spidey fans are disenchanted with Marvel's handling of the character since they had Mephisto wipe everyone's memory of Peter Parker and break him up with MJ that I decided not to add it to the list. But I agree, ASM has been a great read for me, Slott or not. I will say though, regarding Slott...he is SO WORDY!!! Takes me five times as long to read any of his books. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as his writing and dialogue are exceptional imo. But there are times I just have to put aside a Slott book because I don't feel like investing a half hour to a read that day. :insane:

Still, I get the sense that a lot of Spidey fans are disenchanted with Marvel's handling of the character since they had Mephisto wipe everyone's memory of Peter Parker and break him up with MJ that I decided not to add it to the list.

That's me... Dropped all Spidey stuff after part 2 of OMD and haven't looked back... I had to buy the recent ASM crossover with Daredevil tho... I was kind of afraid that it would make me like the character again and want to read it more... but it didn't. I was glad to be done with the issue. We'll see how the Avenging part of Omega Effect (or whatever it's called) is... Still don't see myself ever adding Spidey back to my pull list tho.

Kind of sucks b/c I've definitely been hearing lots of good things about the current run. (and Slott was hilarious and awesome on She-Hulk, for whom I never cared before...)

How long is the statute of limitations on voting with your dollar? (or not-dollar as the case may be)

Ive read most modern age comics. Can anyone give me a good series that has ended so I can read. Im leaning towards Ex Machina after I finish reading a novel (need a novel/comic balance)

You read Planetary, right? Great story and art.

Scalped is almost over. Sopranos on a modern day Indian reservation with takes on family, alcoholism, prejudice, history and, of course, crime, violence and drugs.

That great news about Locke & Key. I'll probably pick up some key issues of that title now (I read it in TPB). Any advise about what a fair price is for key issues (raw and/or CGC) or about what the key issues are? Thanks for the tip!

I've gotten every issue raw NM for $5, except the first one, over the summer.

The only two that should cost any money is the first mini issues issue 1 and 2.

I think $50 and $15 is probably fair for 1 & 2. I was talking to some comic dealer friends of mine and they said Locke & Key has really died off for them, so much so they don't bother trying to find copies to sell anymore at conventions.

1 may take some looking though, it took me 2 months to find mine, mostly just because the only ones I could find were $75-$100, which I think is far, far to much.

+1

Still, I get the sense that a lot of Spidey fans are disenchanted with Marvel's handling of the character since they had Mephisto wipe everyone's memory of Peter Parker and break him up with MJ that I decided not to add it to the list.

That's me... Dropped all Spidey stuff after part 2 of OMD and haven't looked back... I had to buy the recent ASM crossover with Daredevil tho... I was kind of afraid that it would make me like the character again and want to read it more... but it didn't. I was glad to be done with the issue. We'll see how the Avenging part of Omega Effect (or whatever it's called) is... Still don't see myself ever adding Spidey back to my pull list tho.

Kind of sucks b/c I've definitely been hearing lots of good things about the current run. (and Slott was hilarious and awesome on She-Hulk, for whom I never cared before...)

How long is the statute of limitations on voting with your dollar? (or not-dollar as the case may be)

Yeah, I felt the same about the Spidey - Daredevil crossover. High expectations. Weak results. It's too bad that's the story you ended up reading. Although I didn't care much for Spider Island either personally. I've really enjoyed Spidey's involvement in FF since Johnny's "death".

Ive read most modern age comics. Can anyone give me a good series that has ended so I can read. Im leaning towards Ex Machina after I finish reading a novel (need a novel/comic balance)

You read Planetary, right? Great story and art.

Scalped is almost over. Sopranos on a modern day Indian reservation with takes on family, alcoholism, prejudice, history and, of course, crime, violence and drugs.

I'm going to get into Scalped. I just started reading the Vertigo Crime GN's and have either enjoyed or absolutely loved them. Not one I'd say I regret reading so far and I think they are a bargain at the rates they sell for on Amazon, even though so far I have only gotten them through trading or my paperbackswap.com points. I am going to catch up on a few Vertigo titles in trade though, and Scalped will definitely be one of them.

I know some are hoping Locke and Key TV series still gets made at some point.

Considering how heavily invested some are. Glad I missed that one I tried twice and didnt like it.

Personally for me lately I havent seen a better time to be into modern comics in awhile. Alot of good Image books out along with Morning Glories, Walking Dead, and others.

Gotham City Sirens

Y the Last Man

Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest - Best Space epic ever.

Nova - Loved it

Exiles 1-50

Proof

Thanos

Breed I, II, or III

Eternal Warrior 1-50

Considering how heavily invested some are. Glad I missed that one I tried twice and didnt like it.

Personally for me lately I havent seen a better time to be into modern comics in awhile. Alot of good Image books out along with Morning Glories, Walking Dead, and others.

And Chew :baiting:

(tsk) friends dont let friends read Chew lol

(tsk) friends dont let friends read Chew lol

:censored: