• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The whole run or break it up?

21 posts in this topic

I'd like the opinion of my learned colleagues here in Modern on what to do.

As I delve further and further into ridding myself of the 5,000 books I own, I am getting to the "large" complete runs of books and was wondering what is the best way to sell them? As whole runs or break them into smaller batches, i.e. storylines etc?

We're talking complete/near complete runs of:

Authority Vol 1 (26 Issues)

Azrael (102 Issues)

Batgirl (74 Issues)

Batman Gotham Adventures (55 Issues)

Batman Gotham Knights (74 Issues)

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight (225 Issues)

Batman Shadow of the Bat (102 Issues)

Batman Streets of Gotham (22 Issues)

Boys, The (65 Issues)

Brave and the Bold (66 Issues)

Catwoman (93 Issues)

Detective Comics (526 Issues)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (24 Issues)

Gotham Central (40 Issues)

Gotham City Sirens (22 Issues)

Harley Quinn (27 Issues)

JLA (108 Issues)

Justice League America (2006-2011) (51 Issues)

Mage: The Hero Discovered (15 Issues)

Planetary (22 Issues)

Red Robin (22 Issues)

Robin (137 Issues)

Secret Six (25 Issues)

The Spirit (17 Issues)

Superman/Batman (105 Issues)

Worlds Finest (57 Issues)

Cheers guys.

You will get a bigger return selling the books as single issues. However, you will be left with a lot of odds and sods. Some of the sets should sell well, for example Planetary as it's 'finished' and Authority (for the same reason).

But remember with larger sets you sell then the postage becomes an issue especially if you want to sell overseas.

Tough one to answer.

What condition are they in? There are one or two sets I might be interested in.

I think it'll depend on condition, too. I wouldn't bother selling single issues if the bulk of what you have isn't in the NM range.

There are a few sets in there I'd be interested in, so I'm sure there are plenty of collectors/readers who would be into buying a full set.

Well the following sets were bought from my LCS bagged & boarded as they were released and never read. Don't ask why!!!

Batman Streets of Gotham (22 Issues)

Boys, The (65 Issues)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (24 Issues)

Gotham City Sirens (22 Issues)

Red Robin (22 Issues)

The Spirit (17 Issues)

Superman/Batman (105 Issues)

I was a Batman fan.

Since 1989 I've bought every comic featuring Batman or in a spinoff title off the shelf as it was released, so thats why I've got what I've got :)

Every hardcover, one-shot, TPB, GN you name it.

Started to focus on buying Batman #1-713 in highest grade I could afford.

The Bat books & statues (forgot to mention the 45 statues I had in the loft) were just taking up too much room.

I've got 220 slabs to store so need the space.

I've sold pretty much all the Trades, I'm talking MINT copies of Legacy, Prodigy etc, they all sold for a pretty penny on eBay :)

The most money I got was $530 for a NM/MT complete run of Nightwing.

selling individual issues drives me kind of crazy... of course you could potentially get more per issue, but like Waylander said, you're going to be left with a bunch of random stuff. Personally, I almost always prefer to sell in sets...

Runs; much less work, won't be left w/ random issues (as others have mentioned)

+1...Runs are good; it lets the potential buyer catch up somewhat with the current issue(s)

of the run they've just acquired, continuing a run of their own, and less problems as the quotes above state...

Once sold a "Brightest Day" mini run; competition was kinda fierce...

I was a Batman fan.

Since 1989 I've bought every comic featuring Batman or in a spinoff title off the shelf as it was released, so thats why I've got what I've got :)

Bane,

I collect everything to do with Wolverine. If you are collecting all Batman stuff my advise for what it's worth is to keep it all. You will regret it when you finish your Batman run. I would keep them. I have some Wolverine stuff that I will never read but I will keep it to eventually have the complete Wolverine collection.

Stick with it. The stuff you have not read, hold it and one day when funds may be short, you will have something to read.

Cheers,

Waylander

I'd sell 'em as single issues individually, but disclaim in each auction a reduced or bulk S&H fee, since a lot of people buy "lots" because it optimizes on shipping and a lot of collectors refrain from buying single issues because their "all in" totals eliminates any savings from going to a convention or the local comic shop, even with sales tax. Who buys a $2.99 valued comic for $.99 plus $5 S&H?

Ebay also charges the sellers a commission not only on their final auction ending price but for revenues from shipping, then double dips financially by charging a commission on the transaction fee by Pay Pal, so it's essentially about 15%, so keep in mind when selling, and pricing your S&H, depending on your business model, whether it's hobby income, lifeblood revenue or what your motivation is, that your S&H may need to be higher than actual costs (factoring in the cost of materials such as cardboard support, boxes, bubble wrap, bags/boards, etc.) to properly deliver a comic book. That's where those USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate "Medium" boxes are nice for both the seller and the buyer to optimize the shipping costs.

I was a Batman fan.

Bane,

I collect everything to do with Wolverine. If you are collecting all Batman stuff my advise for what it's worth is to keep it all. You will regret it when you finish your Batman run. I would keep them. I have some Wolverine stuff that I will never read but I will keep it to eventually have the complete Wolverine collection.

Stick with it. The stuff you have not read, hold it and one day when funds may be short, you will have something to read.

Cheers,

Waylander

Too late for that mate, half of it is already gone. I just don't have the space and the money generated from selling it has enabled me to buy some high grade Bat books so I don't regret it.

It's been years since I last sold any stuff but I always used to go for a mix and match approach.

For a popular series I'd normally go down the 'single' issue route or perhaps using a short story arc to shift 2 - 3 issues at a time. For the harder to shift titles they'd go down as an entire run...It was easier and it just seemed to appeal to the casual reader (shrug)

If you are left with odd issues these can always be grouped together and listed as 'Mixed Lots'?

Dai

Personally, I like selling them in sets. I believe they sell faster and it is less hassle.

Example, Gotham Adventures only a handful of comics will sell singly right away like 45 and the Harley Quinn issues. Then it will be slow moving afterwards. However, I have seen the complete series sell in one listing.

For the Detective Comics run of 500 + issues, I would think about splitting them up into small lots. Just for the easy of shipping purposes.

Good luck with the sale. I am not sure of the demand overseas but there are a few sets you have that do will here like Harley Quinn, Gotham City Sirens and Batman/Superman. Also, Gotham Knights has started to sell but I am not sure about the whole run. I have been thinking of selling my small run of that series.

I was a Batman fan.

Bane,

Cheers,

Waylander

Too late for that mate, half of it is already gone. I just don't have the space and the money generated from selling it has enabled me to buy some high grade Bat books so I don't regret it.

I can understand the want to buy high grades - your Registered Sets are already looking awesome. Good luck with your selling and then enjoy your buying (thumbs u