• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Joe

With all due respect you offered him 2 sets at a blended rate of the new price and the old. You did not offer him a set at the original price and a set at the new price which implies he can choose to take some of what you offered. I have never used your service and I did not read the communication. It seems to me that if the update was that recent, offering a set at the price he intended to pay is a reasonable alternative.

Personally in my business when I make a mistake like this I like to get my lumps as I find it motivates me to improve the way I do things. You have essentially gained nothing and potentially lost some things by not honouring a price that failed to update. An update that the buyer had absolutely no control over.

Just my 2c

Thanks

Jeff

Hi gang:

Normally we don't get involved in this type of thing, but some nice folks pointed out what Ryan was doing on the site here, so we felt it was only fair to respond.

Here is text from a reply I sent to anyone notifying me of this. It's missing the screenshot which shows the dating and separate orders, but anyone who is interested is welcome to e-mail us and we'll send it along:

[ Begin text:

Without checking anything else about the order sequence, I assumed that there was a server glitch. Apparently not so. Or it could have been a combination of things, because the order was originally started on the 13th. We did the update on the Tuesday, which was the 15th, and it should have taken on that day. He then picked up the cart on the 16th, subsequent to the update, so we suspect that he saw the updated pricing and then decided to pick up the cart and formulate the amended order. We have a piece in our terms of service that covers that type of situation, and stipulates that abandoned carts which are subsequently picked up must be done so at prices currently in effect at the time of pickup. What we're trying to figure out is how the items added to the pickup didn't register properly.

We did in fact offer a reasonable alternative (at least we thought it was reasonable). The alternative was one "set" of what he ordered at the price stipulated in the original order there, plus one set at the correct pricing which should have been in effect. He would have gotten 2 copies of each book, there would have been a blended average price there which would have still been substantially less than the updated pricing, and he'd be able to resell them at a reasonable profit. He declined that and came back with the single set offer.

Incidentally, the way to avoid this problem is to place pre-orders for any issues that someone wants to speculate on. Pre-orders carry no limitations of any kind, and we're happy to ship them. The problem with pre-orders of course is that if the book(s) don't turn "hot", then you've got a lot of books that are being received with little upside.

End text ]

I appreciate the fact that Ryan included most of the communications between us. I thought that we were always polite and respectful, but you'll note that as soon as we declined his offer, he got steamed and went off on us a bit. Personally I don't see the purpose of a smear campaign, but I guess there's always one person in the crowd who has to do this kind of thing. And of course it subsequently attracts all the folks who like to jump on board with some of the comments you see above.

So before everyone goes on the "chucks and sucks" bandwagon, you may want to try us out and see for yourself.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Hi gang:

What we're trying to figure out is how the items added to the pickup didn't register properly.

Cool of you to stop by and explain things from your side. But given your statement above, it still sounds like there was a possible glitch on your end. Seems like if you had honored the price from just a few days earlier on ONE set, you would've saved yourself a lot of grief.

I work for a huge company and often have to deal with customer complaints and crappy technical issues, and trust me, sometimes a little bit of give goes a long way. Missed opportunity on your part, if you ask me.

Sucks for both parties.

EDIT: lol I just saw the post above me. Well said Branget.

Edited by R3D STAR

Joe,

I appreciate your effort to reach out to us on the boards, but after hearing of this I will not be using your service again. Jeff was right. It is better to take your lumps when something like this happens, and then work to improve your service. It looks as if nothing has improved since my order in September.

I wish you the best in the future, but it will be without my business.

Thanks,

Nate

Would you please e-mail me at comics_america@mts.net and identify yourself? It's tough to talk to folks when one of the parties is at a disadvantage by not knowing who the other one is.

As to your comment, how would you feel and act if someone did something like this to you on a public forum?

Dude, why are you emailing me? You should be talking to Ryan. Is the $40-$50 you shafted him out of really worth it to you?

Hi gang:

Normally we don't get involved in this type of thing, but some nice folks pointed out what Ryan was doing on the site here, so we felt it was only fair to respond.

Here is text from a reply I sent to anyone notifying me of this. It's missing the screenshot which shows the dating and separate orders, but anyone who is interested is welcome to e-mail us and we'll send it along:

[ Begin text:

Without checking anything else about the order sequence, I assumed that there was a server glitch. Apparently not so. Or it could have been a combination of things, because the order was originally started on the 13th. We did the update on the Tuesday, which was the 15th, and it should have taken on that day. He then picked up the cart on the 16th, subsequent to the update, so we suspect that he saw the updated pricing and then decided to pick up the cart and formulate the amended order. We have a piece in our terms of service that covers that type of situation, and stipulates that abandoned carts which are subsequently picked up must be done so at prices currently in effect at the time of pickup. What we're trying to figure out is how the items added to the pickup didn't register properly.

We did in fact offer a reasonable alternative (at least we thought it was reasonable). The alternative was one "set" of what he ordered at the price stipulated in the original order there, plus one set at the correct pricing which should have been in effect. He would have gotten 2 copies of each book, there would have been a blended average price there which would have still been substantially less than the updated pricing, and he'd be able to resell them at a reasonable profit. He declined that and came back with the single set offer.

Incidentally, the way to avoid this problem is to place pre-orders for any issues that someone wants to speculate on. Pre-orders carry no limitations of any kind, and we're happy to ship them. The problem with pre-orders of course is that if the book(s) don't turn "hot", then you've got a lot of books that are being received with little upside.

End text ]

I appreciate the fact that Ryan included most of the communications between us. I thought that we were always polite and respectful, but you'll note that as soon as we declined his offer, he got steamed and went off on us a bit. Personally I don't see the purpose of a smear campaign, but I guess there's always one person in the crowd who has to do this kind of thing. And of course it subsequently attracts all the folks who like to jump on board with some of the comments you see above.

So before everyone goes on the "chucks and sucks" bandwagon, you may want to try us out and see for yourself.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

I call BS. Seems like a convenient out whenever you arbitrarily decide after receiving an order that you wish you had priced the books higher. This is tantamount to a customer bringing books to the cash register only for the owner to pull out the price gun and reprice the books then and there before ringing up the sale. S-H-A-D-Y.

When it comes to buying comics online, there are plenty of vendors to choose from. Thanks for making the decision a bit easier now by giving me a reason to remove you from my list.

....He would have gotten 2 copies of each book, there would have been a blended average price there which would have still been substantially less than the updated pricing, and he'd be able to resell them at a reasonable profit.

I think its brave to come on the forums and defend yourself, and I am proud that most people have been polite even while disagreeing with you. Here's the thing, and I bolded it, regardless of whether your story is true or not (and I dont believe it), how you THINK has been made plainly clear, hidden in plain view.

Why do you PRESUME he wants to sell them. Maybe he wants more than one set for himself, (TPB here has ten, not for reselling), maybe he wants several copies, the best of which he will send away to be slabbed (i buy several copies of books myself for this reason).

You THINK you are MISSING OUT on profit that someone ELSE is "TAKING" from you. But it's not your place to know or speak to why he wants them. If you are so worried about Ebay prices getting away from you, CLOSE YOUR ONLINE STORE AND RUN AN EBAY ONE. If you are going to keep your store, have your people fix the cart, or STAY ON TOP OF THE MARKET, or better yet pay someone to tell you what to charge.

If you dont want people buying MORE THAN ONE, than lock it down to 1 per person. You are simply greedy, and jealous that anyone else MIGHT be making some of YOUR money. Well, fix your shop, change your business model, or be a man and have some honor. I cant tell you how mad i get at comic book store owners who pull non-sense like this.

Edited by CBT

Hi guys:

You should know that I would never have been aware of this campaign if someone hadn't alerted me to it, because as a rule (and don't take this the wrong way), there just aren't enough hours in the day to be here and do everything else that has to be accomplished.

Anyway, here we are, and I'll take a minute out to answer a couple of the comments above:

To Brangent:

Looks like neither of us had any control in this case, either buyer or seller. That's why we harbor a secret dislike for technology because of these types of things.

To r3d star:

You make a valid point via a vis opportunity, but I would like to ask a question: When, despite the best efforts of both parties, a satisfactory resolution to both doesn't happen, does the other party go off and try to run a smear campaign about you or your organization? Is that an honorable way to handle a situation? How can the person who does such a thing possibly undo what's been done? What kind of person does that, regardless of how that person might feel?

Yes, it does indeed suck for both parties.

Quite frankly what you did to Ryan is totally not acceptable and the fact that you are calling it a smear campaign further cements the bad rep YOU yourself created with your actions in this case.

Edited by Miso

Check my last posting about getting the screenshot. It establishes the timeline. And thanks for the kind words about being brave. I appreciate it.

You may want to redact Ryan's contact information in future emails to folks.

Bottom line is the mistake was made on YOUR server and RYAN had to pay for it. If I was running a business and I was at fault for a mistake id make sure to mend it.

As Ryan mentioned, "Sometimes when you win, you lose." You may have had your way for this sale, however now quite a few people who once were customers with you will not likely return because of this entire incident.

Perhaps it may have been wiser to fix a mistake on your end and not get as large of a profit as you had wished, but keep loyal paying customers who frequently shop on your site.

Now it seems you have exchanged them for a quick buck on a single sale.

Check my last posting about getting the screenshot. It establishes the timeline. And thanks for the kind words about being brave. I appreciate it.

You may want to redact Ryan's contact information in future emails to folks.

:facepalm:

Don't worry, man. I won't be camping out on your front lawn or calling you in the middle of dinner. I might sell your email to a Nigerian prince though.

Edited by awakeintheashes