• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

A couple of things:

1.) Just wanted to give you the denouement of our tiff with Ryan back there: I tied to call him last night as you all saw, with no result. I waited all day for him to call me, and he didn't so at about 7:10 est I tried again. Same result. Which is I suppose unfortunate after I decided to take the advice of the good folks who chimed in on the subject, including the "chucks and sucks" group and then go one better by offering the entire original deal. So draw your own conclusions. From my standpoint, it's lesson(s) learned, apologies offered, and that ship has sailed.

2.) Much more important stuff: I am worried. What about? Read the last few pages of posts here. See anything disturbing? You should.

Now, before I get into my thesis, you need to know that I am aware that as a dealer I'm sitting on a very tall fence with very sharp pickets. So is every other dealer out there and it is a no-win situation.

Now the thesis: Welcome to the early 1990s. What you are seeing and maybe even participating in is exactly the thing that led to troubles in the comics market 20 years ago. Everything is being based on the collectable value of an item while ignoring (or at least minimizing) the artistic value. Before you all jump down my back again for saying something that might be unpopular, think about it.

This is the type of situation that makes me really really nervous about the market.

What are your thoughts?

One big difference is who would be left holding the bag if the bubble bursts like the 90's?

Now we're getting somewhere. The most disturbing thing is that it might turn lots of potential fans and collectors off and ruin future chances for promising books and ideas.

It will burn speculators who will learn or disappear. Either way the market becomes more solid.

The housing bubble is nothing like this.

Now we're getting somewhere. The most disturbing thing is that it might turn lots of potential fans and collectors off and ruin future chances for promising books and ideas.

I think a lot of people know there are bubbles in the comics market. No two bubbles are ever the same though, and print to order will mean if and when the comics market cools it will definitely be different.

Personally, if people want to worry about a bubble crashing, the European Union, US Treasuries, and the US Dollar in that order are far better candidates.... The comic market bubble will out last all those ;)

Besides he had them for sale here first at a lower price and they weren't selling. I don't blame him at all if he's ready to sell now is an excellent time to do so. If you want one I bet he'd probably sell it at the advertised forum price even though the thread is closed. He's a fair guy to deal with.

Didn't realize it was a boardie, well, I apologize for my strong comments. But I do think its even more silly for someone who knows the markets well to try and sell 10 at a time, for that high a price.

Besides he had them for sale here first at a lower price and they weren't selling. I don't blame him at all if he's ready to sell now is an excellent time to do so. If you want one I bet he'd probably sell it at the advertised forum price even though the thread is closed. He's a fair guy to deal with.

Didn't realize it was a boardie, well, I apologize for my strong comments. But I do think its even more silly for someone who knows the markets well to try and sell 10 at a time, for that high a price.

Well either they've been selling or he opted to sell less because now there's just two.

It will burn speculators who will learn or disappear. Either way the market becomes more solid.

The housing bubble is nothing like this.

Back from a quick cafe trip. It was yummy! Now, to the above: The problem we seem to have here is that it appears (and I could be wrong so again don't jump on me) that many of the comments here are coming from potential speculators.

Let's have more fun: If a comic is in a slab and graded, is it a comic?

Well either they've been selling or he opted to sell less because now there's just two.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold....

To the new guy on here defending his business, I'll say this:

Not only did you potentially lose customers, but also potential future customers. I've never shopped with you before, and now I don't plan on it. On the flip-side - had you of honored Ryan's request in the first place, I would have seen that as great customer service and would have become a regular customer.

That's how I've picked all of the retailers I purchase online from - is their customer service.

I had never heard of Third Eye Comics before, but someone here posted an experience they had with them and how wonderful they were to deal with, they're now my go-to comic retailer.

Same with a mom and pops computer part retailer.

You could have made many new customers that day had you owned up provided Ryan with good customer service.

Lastly, as someone who works with web servers everyday, I don't get the whole "server issue" thing anyway. You need to update a price, you update it. It doesn't have to travel through multiple end-points or anything. Either your site is down or its up, its one database feeding the information. If one portion wasn't working, none of it would have been.

Anyway, regardless of the handful of people here who may no longer shop with you, I'm sure you'll be fine in the end. Don't let this get to you too much. Just try to do the right thing next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

To the new guy on here defending his business, I'll say this:

Not only did you potentially lose customers, but also potential future customers. I've never shopped with you before, and now I don't plan on it. On the flip-side - had you of honored Ryan's request in the first place, I would have seen that as great customer service and would have become a regular customer.

That's how I've picked all of the retailers I purchase online from - is their customer service.

I had never heard of Third Eye Comics before, but someone here posted an experience they had with them and how wonderful they were to deal with, they're now my go-to comic retailer.

Same with a mom and pops computer part retailer.

You could have made many new customers that day had you owned up provided Ryan with good customer service.

Lastly, as someone who works with web servers everyday, I don't get the whole "server issue" thing anyway. You need to update a price, you update it. It doesn't have to travel through multiple end-points or anything. Either your site is down or its up, its one database feeding the information. If one portion wasn't working, none of it would have been.

Anyway, regardless of the handful of people here who may no longer shop with you, I'm sure you'll be fine in the end. Don't let this get to you too much. Just try to do the right thing next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

Wow. Are you late to the party. Go back about six pages and read from there. From my end things have been offered and refused, so we learned. Now let's get back to talking about the market and bubbles.