• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

It works both ways. When it comes to SS there is even more pressure to sell when you can.

I was recently conatcted by 3 different buyers for Invincible double signed books. They all wanted to pay less than cost for the books. To me that is just not supporting a title you want to collect. If i have to take a loss on those books you can guess how many i will get signed in the future.

For those of you looking to collect Saga signed and graded you may want these books to sell. It will help to ensure the other issues become available. 2c

A couple of things:

1.) Just wanted to give you the denouement of our tiff with Ryan back there: I tied to call him last night as you all saw, with no result. I waited all day for him to call me, and he didn't so at about 7:10 est I tried again. Same result. Which is I suppose unfortunate after I decided to take the advice of the good folks who chimed in on the subject, including the "chucks and sucks" group and then go one better by offering the entire original deal. So draw your own conclusions. From my standpoint, it's lesson(s) learned, apologies offered, and that ship has sailed.

2.) Much more important stuff: I am worried. What about? Read the last few pages of posts here. See anything disturbing? You should.

Now, before I get into my thesis, you need to know that I am aware that as a dealer I'm sitting on a very tall fence with very sharp pickets. So is every other dealer out there and it is a no-win situation.

Now the thesis: Welcome to the early 1990s. What you are seeing and maybe even participating in is exactly the thing that led to troubles in the comics market 20 years ago. Everything is being based on the collectable value of an item while ignoring (or at least minimizing) the artistic value. Before you all jump down my back again for saying something that might be unpopular, think about it.

This is the type of situation that makes me really really nervous about the market.

What are your thoughts?

ah well, not like there's ever a coordinated effort when selling amongst sellers. Should act more like the gas stations, a little collusion.

Gas stations don't profit on the gas, they make their money on the big gulp and beef jerky.

correct

It works both ways. When it comes to SS there is even more pressure to sell when you can.

I was recently conatcted by 3 different buyers for Invincible double signed books. They all wanted to pay less than cost for the books. To me that is just not supporting a title you want to collect. If i have to take a loss on those books you can guess how many i will get signed in the future.

For those of you looking to collect Saga signed and graded you may want these books to sell. It will help to ensure the other issues become available. 2c

You have some very valid points, but one thing to keep in mind, this guy didnt get these subbed after the price spike two weeks ago. He already had them, and is trying to cash in. My commentary was simply, that its a double edged sword of greed

he's listing too many, and asking too much. To be honest, it helps all the other sellers out because his will sit, while others "seem" cheaper now.

If this guy needs to sell an SS book that's less than a year old for $350 to not "lose money" well.....

911284.jpg

The people that sell lots of books, and do it successfully, know to space things out. Like you do.

Besides he had them for sale here first at a lower price and they weren't selling. I don't blame him at all if he's ready to sell now is an excellent time to do so. If you want one I bet he'd probably sell it at the advertised forum price even though the thread is closed. He's a fair guy to deal with.

A couple of things:

1.) Just wanted to give you the denouement of our tiff with Ryan back there: I tied to call him last night as you all saw, with no result. I waited all day for him to call me, and he didn't so at about 7:10 est I tried again. Same result. Which is I suppose unfortunate after I decided to take the advice of the good folks who chimed in on the subject, including the "chucks and sucks" group and then go one better by offering the entire original deal. So draw your own conclusions. From my standpoint, it's lesson(s) learned, apologies offered, and that ship has sailed.

2.) Much more important stuff: I am worried. What about? Read the last few pages of posts here. See anything disturbing? You should.

Now, before I get into my thesis, you need to know that I am aware that as a dealer I'm sitting on a very tall fence with very sharp pickets. So is every other dealer out there and it is a no-win situation.

Now the thesis: Welcome to the early 1990s. What you are seeing and maybe even participating in is exactly the thing that led to troubles in the comics market 20 years ago. Everything is being based on the collectable value of an item while ignoring (or at least minimizing) the artistic value. Before you all jump down my back again for saying something that might be unpopular, think about it.

This is the type of situation that makes me really really nervous about the market.

What are your thoughts?

I think you should give Ryan the opportunity to say yes or no if your offer was legit. He's obviously not been on the boards since you posted last. Maybe he broke an arm.

90s is here proof new Arsenio Hall show debuting on Fox

Fair enough. But here is his last e-mail to me which might indicate the answer (jeez I hate all this stuff again):

Joe -

Honestly, have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. I don't want any comics. I don't want anything from you. It's done.

You haven't listened to me prior to this, but I'm doing you a favor by telling you to say something nice in the forum and walk away. You are up against everyone in there and will not win. Say, my apologies and goodnight and be done with it. Otherwise, they are going to keep this up all night.

Your decision...

Ryan

Now let's talk about the other point I was making, which is more important.