• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Yes (until it goes down).

I love this book beyond words. I think it is the greatest thing since...I can't even remember. To me it's the Breaking Bad of comics, which is to say, the book that makes me go, "Holy *$*@#, who knew comics could be that good?" No one is more bullish on Saga.

That being said, I think the prices on runs of 1-6 (or 1-8) are a bit inflated at the moment. I can see issue 1 continuing to increase, and perhaps to a lesser extent, issue 2 as well. However, I just can't see 3-8 maintaining the prices they are bringing in on runs ATM. Historically, it is only issue 1 (and maybe 2 and 3) that will hold value in the long run. Just look at YTLM. Issue 1 is smoking hot. Raw VF/NM copies are in the $160+ range. And issue 2...? Maybe $25? Issue 5? $3 book.

So...my advice would be to blow out full runs at $120 or so and then use that money to buy two or three raw #1s (effectively trading issues 2-8 to acquire more #1s). It's a good idea to strike while the iron is hot on issues 2-8. 2c

Pay attention to this sound advice

Love the covers, and the artistic continuity. It will be interesting if they can maintain the same visual impact over the course of the series.

Anyway, since you asked (sort of)...I would rank Fiona's covers like this:

1.) RRP (not even close. T his book has EVERYTHING going for it. Best cover, rarest issue, first issue, etc)

then...4, 8, 1, 7, 3, 6, 5, 2

i think YTLM prices would be even higher if the covers looked like the characters in the book. i feel the same about Preacher. its the covers that stopped me from collecting the floppies. i know im weird, but there are atleast some others that feel the same way.

No way! Fabry's Preacher covers are one of the best cover runs ever. Most Y covers are pretty nice too. If anything's holding those books back it's the fact that they're finished series with no current media tie-in activity.

i think YTLM prices would be even higher if the covers looked like the characters in the book. i feel the same about Preacher. its the covers that stopped me from collecting the floppies. i know im weird, but there are atleast some others that feel the same way.

For Saga, #1 is going to be a classic cover. i feel the same about issue 4 and 5. and possibly 3 depending on where Izzy goes in the series. Issues 2 and 6 are visually great, but lack "star power" imo.

Edited to add: i feel that if Saga goes the way i feel its going to go, the RRP will be a very expensive book. That Cover is beyond Epic imo.

Wouldn't it be simpler to say.... ALL THE COVERS ARE EPIC!!

I do love the covers of #1 and #5 the best at the moment. Awesome!

Yes (until it goes down)

So...my advice would be to blow out full runs at $120 or so and then use that money to buy two or three raw #1s (effectively trading issues 2-8 to acquire more #1s). It's a good idea to strike while the iron is hot on issues 2-8. 2c

I have a set of blue 9.8s for myself, and a set of raws for myself (cause reading is the point :D ), and just one extra set of raws. Not sure if I am ready to part with them, but you do make a good argument.

That being said, I did buy three #1 1st prints for $60 total ($20 each) from a LCS earlier in the week when things started going up.

That's a great score on the #1s. I would buy them all day at $20. Just wish someone would offer. :)

As for the runs...why not at least pick up a trade for issues 1-6, cash out one run at $120, and buy up a few more #1s? Even better: Sell both runs, buy up as many #1s as you can, and then pick up 2-8 raw again at a later date once prices come back down.

No way! Fabry's Preacher covers are one of the best cover runs ever. Most Y covers are pretty nice too. If anything's holding those books back it's the fact that they're finished series with no current media tie-in activity.

told you i was weird :)

some of "when should i sell" should consider what one has paid for the books. if youve paid $2.50 a book, is there really that much to lose by not selling them?

Yes and no. It's opportunity cost. If you pay $2.50 for something, and you are offered $100 for that item and turn it down, then you may have only paid $2.50 for it, but the opportunity cost is $100 (or, in other words, what could you have done with the $100 if you sold them)?

Another example: You buy a concert ticket to your favorite band for $50. The show sells out and tickets are scalping at $500. You go to the show rather than scalping your ticket. Did you pay $500 to attend the show? No. But you did pay $500 in opportunity cost, as you had the opportunity to cash out at $500 and spend that very tangible $500 elsewhere.

Just depends on how you want to look at it. You have not assumed the same risk as someone that might pay $100 for the same item that you paid $2.50 for, but you have just as much to loose by choosing not to sell at the right time.

some of "when should i sell" should consider what one has paid for the books. if youve paid $2.50 a book, is there really that much to lose by not selling them?

Yes and no. It's opportunity cost. If you pay $2.50 for something, and you are offered $100 for that item and turn it down, then you may have only paid $2.50 for it, but the opportunity cost is $100 (or, in other words, what could you have done with the $100 if you sold them)?

Another example: You buy a concert ticket to your favorite band for $50. The show sells out and tickets are scalping at $500. You go to the show rather than scalping your ticket. Did you pay $500 to attend the show? No. But you did pay $500 in opportunity cost, as you had the opportunity to cash out at $500 and spend that very tangible $500 elsewhere.

Just depends on how you want to look at it. You have not assumed the same risk as someone that might pay $100 for the same item that you paid $2.50 for, but you have just as much to loose by choosing not to sell at the right time.

Great points. i guess if one is positive that prices will drop really low again down the line, then now is the time to sell.

i am new to comics and always appreciate learning.

I made the mistake of selling my #1 to #6 to a mate (for cover) a month a go, having read #1 to 3 and not being that interested. However, I have since re-read the series in trade and all I can say is WOW! I really couldn't have been in the right mood when I read it as It's awesome. :cry:

That being said, I did buy three #1 1st prints for $60 total ($20 each) from a LCS earlier in the week when things started going up.

That's a great score on the #1s. I would buy them all day at $20. Just wish someone would offer. :)

As for the runs...why not at least pick up a trade for issues 1-6, cash out one run at $120, and buy up a few more #1s? Even better: Sell both runs, buy up as many #1s as you can, and then pick up 2-8 raw again at a later date once prices come back down.

I bought all I could lol. Very interesting points on the runs. I am an ardent "floppy" collector though (as some people like to call them, i just say 'comics'). I actually don't own a single trade paper back. I actually hate tpb, i know the premise of why people think they benefit the industry, personally I think they harm it, but that's a debate for another thread.

That being said. I do need to sell at least $300 dollars worth of saga books, to pay for my recently acquired RRP lol (which was the only book i want that I was missing, i dont buy alternate printings). Though the ghost is starting to whisper to me.....

** EDIT-

In thinking about what you said, I went ahead and got another copy of 2-6 1st prints put aside for my pull list.

Edited by CBT

I bought all I could lol. Very interesting points on the runs. I am an ardent "floppy" collector though (as some people like to call them, i just say 'comics'). I actually don't own a single trade paper back. I actually hate tpb, i know the premise of why people think they benefit the industry, personally I think they harm it, but that's a debate for another thread.

That being said. I do need to sell at least $300 dollars worth of saga books, to pay for my recently acquired RRP lol (which was the only book i want that I was missing, i dont buy alternate printings). Though the ghost is starting to whisper to me.....

(thumbs u

You got a great deal there :headbang:

I prefer to collect and read comics but I love trades for books I am catching up on or simply want to carry around with me for weeks to read on my way to work etc etc

alternate printings are awesome!!! :banana:

lol, i know where you stand on them :)lol:P

I think about them, the way you think about variants. If I had to pick one evil or the other, I'd take the TPBs over the second printings lol. Maybe I retract my original comment. I'd buy the trade, if it kept Image from making 2nd-5th printings lol