• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

There is one piece of OA. (The Paul Pope Ghost Variant Cover) No one knows who owns it. My opinion, would easily sell for $10,000 if it hit the open market.

Don't see it and would even go so far as to say "no chance". $5K would be a stretch.

So an RRP can sell for $1200 and there are 500 of them. There is only one piece of Saga OA. Those are my points.

There is one piece of OA. (The Paul Pope Ghost Variant Cover) No one knows who owns it. My opinion, would easily sell for $10,000 if it hit the open market.

Don't see it and would even go so far as to say "no chance". $5K would be a stretch.

So an RRP can sell for $1200 and there are 500 of them. There is only one piece of Saga OA. Those are my points.

Maybe the RRP is overvalued? hm

In relative terms, I would agree. But we're not talking about the RRP cover, nor are we talking about Fiona Staples' art. New Paul Pope art doesn't sell for five figures.

OA guys don't typically pay five figures for new art unless it's by an established superstar artist with a more well-known subject. Modern comics guys don't typically pay five figures for OA when they can collect slabs for much less.

I could be wrong and there's someone out there willing to pay $10K for the cover. All it takes is one. But for now, I don't see it.

But like - Paul Pope was famous before Saga. Unlike Staples! ! ! !

Its a one of a kind from the new star wars!

also, this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PAUL-POPE-BATMAN-CHRONICLES-11-COVER-ART-/121034206913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e336ec1&_uhb=1

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii

This is Paul's most expensive piece on Beguiling...

Listed at $2500

With the existing Saga fandom I can see #7 pushing 3.5k at auction.

If it does sell for that much, I would expect Fiona to begin to produce a cover every now and then...

Yes, that's the range for new Pope art right now. Of course, subject matter is key, but that gives an idea of his market value. Thanks for the link.

Between the cover and interiors, Fiona is leaving upwards of $10K per issue on the table by not producing pen/ink OA. But from all the artists I've talked to who have made the switch to digital, the time savings is significant and allows them to produce on a monthly schedule. I'm skeptical from a dollars-and-cents standpoint, but the trade-off appears to be worth it to them. Sucks for OA collectors, though.

also, this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PAUL-POPE-BATMAN-CHRONICLES-11-COVER-ART-/121034206913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e336ec1&_uhb=1

That only proves the point. We're all SAGA fans, but to everyone else Batman > SAGA. And that vintage Pope Batman cover is $5K. Hence...$5K would be a stretch for the new Ghost variant cover.

Also, while Pope has a higher profile than Staples, Staples is the co-creator of the book. So, for SAGA, Staples OA > Pope OA.

Edited by Nexus

also, this

That only proves the point. We're all SAGA fans, but to everyone else Batman > SAGA. And that vintage Pope Batman cover is $5K. Hence...$5K would be a stretch for the new Ghost variant cover.

Also, while Pope has a higher profile than Staples, Staples is the co-creator of the book. So, for SAGA, Staples OA > Pope OA.

Vintage? VINTAGE Pope Cover?

What is wrong with modern comic collectors? THEY CALL 1998 VINTAGE.

Maybe the RRP is overvalued? hm

In relative terms, I would agree. But we're not talking about the RRP cover, nor are we talking about Fiona Staples' art. New Paul Pope art doesn't sell for five figures.

OA guys don't typically pay five figures for new art unless it's by an established superstar artist with a more well-known subject. Modern comics guys don't typically pay five figures for OA when they can collect slabs for much less.

I could be wrong and there's someone out there willing to pay $10K for the cover. All it takes is one. But for now, I don't see it.

Felix,

As crazy as this sounds, I think I'm going to agree with the Pasta Pimp on this one because of this: I don't think that an OA guy would end up with the piece. I think that a fanatic Saga head would make a move on it. It would, in no way, surprise me if one of the people who is dropping $1,200 - $1,500 on a Saga RRP has the funds to go to 5 figures. I certainly think that 5k is the low side. Just my thoughts.

also, this

meh

"Relatively vintage", then. Better?

In any case, the Ghost variant cover is still not a $10K piece, unless one person decides it is. If that's you, then hope, for you and Paul Pope, that you are able to find it.

Felix,

As crazy as this sounds, I think I'm going to agree with the Pasta Pimp on this one because of this: I don't think that an OA guy would end up with the piece. I think that a fanatic Saga head would make a move on it. It would, in no way, surprise me if one of the people who is dropping $1,200 - $1,500 on a Saga RRP has the funds to go to 5 figures. I certainly think that 5k is the low side. Just my thoughts.

Like I said, all it takes is one. There very well could be a lunatic out there willing to pay $10K for that cover right now. I don't discount that. My point, though, is that the market value for that cover is not $10K. If auctioned, I don't see it going that high, because I don't see an underbidder pushing the winner that far. You might find one guy willing to pay $10K for it, but I highly doubt you'll find two.

Given the mania surrounding the book right now, I could see the OA to the RRP or #1 garner interest in the $10K range (if they existed...commissioned reproductions by Fiona don't count). But I think the Ghost variant is something else entirely. From what I've read here in the thread, opinion is divided on the actual comic! If that many are "eh" about the comic, the art is far from a slam dunk. My opinion, of course.

also, this

Jimmy we are old, todays 14 year old kids weren't even born in 1998 :cry:

Edited by buddymagoo

I'm the one who should :cry:

But since Paul Pope's career started in 1995, a cover from 1997 could accurately be called a...vintage Paul Pope cover. Sorry, Jimmy.

What's funny, too, about that Batman cover is that the seller never thought he'd get $5K for it. That's a record for a Paul Pope cover. I know the seller and he was asking for offers before putting it on eBay. He would have sold it for a lot less, but no one stepped up.

$10K for a Paul Pope cover is not supported by market facts, nor is $10K for anything SAGA. So I don't think anyone can so readily proclaim the Ghost variant cover an "easy" $10K. But, again, all it takes is one.

I'm the one who should :cry:

But since Paul Pope's career started in 1995, a cover from 1997 could accurately be called a...vintage Paul Pope cover. Sorry, Jimmy.

What's funny, too, about that Batman cover is that the seller never thought he'd get $5K for it. That's a record for a Paul Pope cover. I know the seller and he was asking for offers before putting it on eBay. He would have sold it for a lot less, but no one stepped up.

$10K for a Paul Pope cover is not supported by market facts, nor is $10K for anything SAGA. So I don't think anyone can so readily proclaim the Ghost variant cover is an "easy" $10K. But, again, all it takes is one.

I think that it's the absence of data that makes this whole argument fun. I don't think that it's beyond the realm of possibility that this is the only saga OA that will ever be released/exist. As such, there are no real comps. This also makes the exercise entirely unsatisfying because no one can be wrong or right. For fun though (and because you're local and generally awesome), Felix- I'll bet you dinner at Chez Pannisse or Gary Danko that the ghost variant sells for over 7.5k if it goes in sale in the next 9 months.