• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Jimmy we are old, todays 14 year old kids weren't even born in 1998 :cry:

I'm the one who should :cry:

But since Paul Pope's career started in 1995, a cover from 1997 could accurately be called a...vintage Paul Pope cover. Sorry, Jimmy.

What's funny, too, about that Batman cover is that the seller never thought he'd get $5K for it. That's a record for a Paul Pope cover. I know the seller and he was asking for offers before putting it on eBay. He would have sold it for a lot less, but no one stepped up.

$10K for a Paul Pope cover is not supported by market facts, nor is $10K for anything SAGA. So I don't think anyone can so readily proclaim the Ghost variant cover is an "easy" $10K. But, again, all it takes is one.

I think that it's the absence of data that makes this whole argument fun. I don't think that it's beyond the realm of possibility that this is the only saga OA that will ever be released/exist. As such, there are no real comps. This also makes the exercise entirely unsatisfying because no one can be wrong or right. For fun though (and because you're local and generally awesome), Felix- I'll bet you dinner at Chez Pannisse or Gary Danko that the ghost variant sells for over 7.5k if it goes in sale in the next 9 months.

Agreed. But the number was $10K. Make it $10K, and you're on.

But since Paul Pope's career started in 1995, a cover from 1997 could accurately be called a...vintage Paul Pope cover. Sorry, Jimmy.

What's funny, too, about that Batman cover is that the seller never thought he'd get $5K for it. That's a record for a Paul Pope cover. I know the seller and he was asking for offers before putting it on eBay. He would have sold it for a lot less, but no one stepped up.

$10K for a Paul Pope cover is not supported by market facts, nor is $10K for anything SAGA. So I don't think anyone can so readily proclaim the Ghost variant cover is an "easy" $10K. But, again, all it takes is one.

I think that it's the absence of data that makes this whole argument fun. I don't think that it's beyond the realm of possibility that this is the only saga OA that will ever be released/exist. As such, there are no real comps. This also makes the exercise entirely unsatisfying because no one can be wrong or right. For fun though (and because you're local and generally awesome), Felix- I'll bet you dinner at Chez Pannisse or Gary Danko that the ghost variant sells for over 7.5k if it goes in sale in the next 9 months.

You said 5k was market. Would 8.5k work for you :-)

Actually, I never said what the market is for this cover. I just said it wasn't $10K;) You, however, agreed with Jimmy's $10K...so $10K is the number. I would call that a good bet.

BTW, while this Pope piece is the only published OA in existence for SAGA, that's just FOR NOW. It's a temporary situation. The variant cover program isn't going away. With SAGA being an ongoing, I suspect there will be more variant covers by guest artists in the future. So anyone paying $10K for the Pope cover with the expectation that it will be the only SAGA OA cover EVER...I would call that a bad bet.

Actually, I never said what the market is for this cover. I just said it wasn't $10K;) You, however, agreed with Jimmy's $10K...so $10K is the number. I would call that a good bet.

BTW, while this Pope piece is the only published OA in existence for SAGA, that's just FOR NOW. It's a temporary situation. The variant cover program isn't going away. With SAGA being an ongoing, I suspect there will be more variant covers by guest artists in the future. So anyone paying $10K for the Pope cover with the expectation that it will be the only SAGA OA cover EVER...I would call that a bad bet.

Fine. Per e-mail, we have a bet at 10k

I remember in an interview or article last year that Fiona said she preferred drawing digitally because it allowed her to keep up with the rigorous deadlines. She does everything from the penciling to the coloring. If she were to draw her stuff manually, Saga may be looking at a bi-monthly release... that's not cool for us fans.

I remember in an interview or article last year that Fiona said she preferred drawing digitally because it allowed her to keep up with the rigorous deadlines. She does everything from the penciling to the coloring. If she were to draw her stuff manually, Saga may be looking at a bi-monthly release... that's not cool for us fans.

Yep. She said she hated to have to redraw errors. Digital allows for a quick fix and move on.