• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Arabic Superman

19 posts in this topic

Thanks Ches!

You know what I find interesting is the whole right to left translation thing. I wasnt aware Arabic like Hebrew read right to left? So reading a comic in the middle east is a back cover to front type of thing? Very interesting..... hm

Thought this was a interesting article that adds to this post..... Ya gotta love comics to help produce them in a war zone....

Even comics need superheroes

Talking to Henry Matthews

Naziha Baassiri , July 2, 2010

“We worked under shelling,” Henry Matthews said of his experience in the Arabic comic industry at the height of Lebanon’s civil war. “We would wait until the shelling stopped and then cross the Green Line [that divided Beirut’s major militia blocs] to deliver new issues.”

At the signing of his recently-published work, The Encyclopedia of Lebanese Comic Books, Matthews sat in Monot’s Recto Verso bookshop to recount the thought process behind his decision to document comic books in the Arab world.

“Nobody else was doing this,” the Beirut-born comic-lover explained. “[Comic books] are just as important as any other serious publication. I want to preserve this for the people who are like me. It is unfair to let this disappear without a trace.”

Original article here with pictures....

http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArchiveDetails.aspx?ID=182630