• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supply of Early Silver Age

In your opinion, how many total copies of Showcase #4 (1956) exist (every possible condition, slabbed and unslabbed)?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, how many total copies of Showcase #4 (1956) exist (every possible condition, slabbed and unslabbed)?

52 posts in this topic

Gee, my opinion on your IQ just slide even further down the scale; and you're rapidly approaching Swamp Toad. Let's all make up "Be Like Bob" buttons and start a club!!

Not suprising, given that a good number of your ideas seem to start in your crotch and get sent to your brain by testosterone-driven "he/she is full of " adrenaline boosts. It's not so much that I'm FOR Bob Overstreet, it's that I'm AGAINST your destructive egotism. Egoism is the basis of almost all human achievement, but egoTism is just annoying and hard to coexist with.

That's likely the reason he took the population estimates out. He was just guessing, but when mixed with his prices, people were likely presuming too much about the estimates.

He definitely thought they were a guess, though. He ran those estimates from 1991 to 1998 for Golden age comics, and the text read like this, taking the listing from the 1998 guide for Action #1 as an example: "Estimated up to 75+ total copies exist, 1 in NM/Mint."

Perhaps Bob Overstreet and Steve Borock can come to an agreement down the road to include CGC's population report for key books. That way collectors could see a trend over the next few years as to how many more copies are making their way to the marketplace.

Ted

I would never, ever even contemplate being so incredibly egotistical to even utter a thought on the number of any specific comic that exists. If someone else does, then they've got an ego the size of Texas and talk out of their 99.9% of the time.

Bearing that in mind, could anyone provide estimates on the number of extant copies of early Batman / Superman issues? e.g. up to issue 20 or so in each case?

Does the Gerber guide have estimates of those? All I ever see are estimates for key books. I want estimates for Superman #20, Batman #36 etc.

The Gerber guide has estimates for nearly all early GA books. There have been a few threads that discuss the accuracy (and/or lack thereof).

link

I just wanted to add also that the CGC census is not 100% accurate either.

Hundreds of slabs have been cracked open, sold, and the same book resubmitted several times wthout the original info sent to CGC. Therefore you might have a rare book with 10 copies submitted to CGC, while the same book might have been resubmitted more than once.

In effect 10 copies might have been submitted, but maybe only 6 of the copies were different, still the census shows 10 copies!!!!

Example:

I own a book that was submitted to CGC as a 7.0 copy, cracked out by METRO and resold as a raw copy ( i bought it) while the 7.0 copy still shows on the census (it's the only copy on the census).

If I resubmit the book now, the census will show two copies, which would be incorrect.

You should have started by offering us Gerber's estimates on this before you had us give our own opinions. I trust his opinion more than my own or anybody else I've ever seen post here. Gerber's estimates from his Photo-Journals in 1990 are as follows:

Showcase 4 = 200 to 1000

Fantastic Four 1 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Fantasy 15 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Spider-Man 1 = 1000 to 2000

X-Men 1 = over 2000

I would agree with those numbers.

I think Gerbers estimates are crazy. You're telling me that there are only 1-2,000 copies in existence in the world? I'd be willing to be there are over 5,000 copies of each comic.

Gerbers estimates are more accurate for SA then GA. Marvel upped their print runs as their main stream titles sold very well. I don't think 5,000 copies are left for any SA Key...that # is probably more accurate for, say, a Bronze Age key like Hulk 181..just my 2 cents... :cool:

You should have started by offering us Gerber's estimates on this before you had us give our own opinions. I trust his opinion more than my own or anybody else I've ever seen post here. Gerber's estimates from his Photo-Journals in 1990 are as follows:

Showcase 4 = 200 to 1000

Fantastic Four 1 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Fantasy 15 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Spider-Man 1 = 1000 to 2000

X-Men 1 = over 2000

I would agree with those numbers.

That's very interesting. I would have been sure that more copies of the ASM 1's would exist.

I noticed that some of the books that I collect that were ON the stands in the summer months when school was out seemed to be less plentiful in high grade.Avenger # 1 is an example.It is cover dated Sept. but was on the stands early June. I haven't done extensive research but it would make sense as the kids are WILD in the summer.Sleepovers,camping trips,treeforts,bringing books home by bycycle instead of station wagon,etc. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

p.s. FF 18 is another example,same date as Avengers one.If you check any others,please remember that about a three month difference between cover date and realease date exists,with release being earlier.