• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'm not bidding on any items in the Heritage FEB Auction

176 posts in this topic

It is also healthy to remember that the US are not the only country on earth… ;)

And that there are pretty penniless newly-born golden age collectors" also from… say, Italy. :)

@tabcom: I dig your avatar. ^_^

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

It is also healthy to remember that the US are not the only country on earth… ;)

And that there are pretty penniless newly-born golden age collectors" also from… say, Italy. :)

Agreed. Welcome!

Thank you, nearmint, adamstrange. :)

I looked if there was a presentations section, but I’ve not found it.

A little OT presentation:

I am very affectioned to Marvel comics, which have been published here since 1970, but almost no golden age has been translated into italian.

Of course we are totally familiar with the syndicated strips, but golden age comic books are still pretty an "unknown territory" for the average italian reader.

I have been especially growing an interested in comics of the inter-war period, no matter the nationality, and in fact I "feel at home" with golden age books (if it wasn't for their prices), having also had the privilege of meeting and interviewing Jack Kirby once, in his Thousand Oaks home. I am very affectioned to him. :)

OT end.

Thank you, nearmint, adamstrange. :)

I looked if there was a presentations section, but I’ve not found it.

A little OT presentation:

I am very affectioned to Marvel comics, which have been published here since 1970, but almost no golden age has been translated into italian.

Of course we are totally familiar with the syndicated strips, but golden age comic books are still pretty an "unknown territory" for the average italian reader.

I have been especially growing an interested in comics of the inter-war period, no matter the nationality, and in fact I "feel at home" with golden age books (if it wasn't for their prices), having also had the privilege of meeting and interviewing Jack Kirby once, in his Thousand Oaks home. I am very affectioned to him. :)

OT end.

benvenuto

Thanks for the kind words . . . and welcome to the GA Forums. There is a lot of great info and people to meet here. My avatar is in honor of that long forgotten heroine of the 1940's, Joan Williams. She is the reason Jay Garrick wanted to be . . . . The Flash.

Thanks for the kind words . . . and welcome to the GA Forums. There is a lot of great info and people to meet here. My avatar is in honor of that long forgotten heroine of the 1940's, Joan Williams. She is the reason Jay Garrick wanted to be . . . . The Flash.

Pleasure's mine, tabcom. :)

In fact, I found extremely funny your mistakenly-supposed "political" statement at the beginning of the thread. And, while Heritage is a great source to see comics, such auctions are mostly out of question for an european (mostly for the shipping costs).

What you say about Joan Williams, is almost arabic for a guy who has probably read 20-30 DC comics stories (at my best), and most of those were Kirby's fourth world…

In fact, I am not even trying to collect Timelys (for their prices), but I started to collect what has been a character which has been fascinating me since pre-Internet times: Lev Gleason's Daredevil.

Hopefully, my edited Original Post will not be deleted.

It has been stated in the popular media that those that need credit, can't get it. Those that don't need credit, can get it. With access to easy money, has saving it become an anathema to collectorsinvesters? Has the purchasing power of the 1% far out reached that of the 10% that a new pantheon of collectorsinvestors has been established? Or, the credit to the high prices realized should be weighted heavily in favor of good product being marketed by the professional machinations of Heritage Auctions?

Oh, no, it's so nice… :)

To regain (loosely) the road of the topic: it appears shipping costs (besides insurance) of Heritage Auctions depends on the total value of the purchase (or something like that). While it's understandable to see buyer's premium et al. (where the aution house has to earn) I don’t understand the reason for the price differences in shipping charges. Or maybe I have misunderstood? :huh:

And I love Fox News.

You love blatant propaganda?

It helps balance out the blantant propaganda from the other side.

Then I make up my mind after hearing both.

That is our system here. Many countries just have the one sided blantant propaganda. We have both. :banana:

to do that you have to constantly switch channels to hear both cheerleaders opinions. why not ONE channel that truly IS fair and balanced?

Like I said. I am right smack dab in the middle of the so called 99%'ers.

Yet, I just re-financed my home at a lower rate and I didn't even seek a re-finance. My bank asked me if I wanted to.

I am retired and do not make a lot of money. Yet, I have all the credit I want (it seems, according to the credit card balances available to me).

I think it comes from half a lifetime of paying my bills on time, on a military paycheck and a cops paycheck. I have never had big money. Granted, I never chased it. I always thought that if I did for a living what I enjoyed. I never had to work a day in my life.

I hate working. Some enjoy working, and they reap the benefits of it. I applaud them and hold no envy of what they have.

Except for their Action #1, Tec #27 and/or Red Raven #1, (and a hundred other great books). :(

My outlook on life is that we all get what we deserve in the way of finances. But there are bumps along the way for many. You just have to grab your boots by the straps and pull hard. You will finallly get them on, if you pull hard.

For sure, some are born into money, and some just fall into money. But for most of us, It's like playing in poker tournaments. Some get lucky here and there. Some take bad beats here and there. Most finish somewhere in the middle, according to their individual skills, But to win consistently, you have to work it well. I personally do "okay". But nothing to brag about. I hold no envy or bad feelings against the game winners. Most deserve it. Some, eh.

Thems the breaks.

To everyone who has had tough times. Find your passion and go for it. Refuse to accept defeat. Be it the comic book trade, lawyering, teaching, or cooking.

If you do what you enjoy for a living, you will never work a day in your life. I enjoyed what I did for a living and I feel like a winner. Although many have more money and "stuff".

Thems the breaks. No one promised you a rose garden when you were born (except maybe mommy, and she don't count) :)

And I love Fox News.

You love blatant propaganda?

It helps balance out the blantant propaganda from the other side.

Then I make up my mind after hearing both.

That is our system here. Many countries just have the one sided blantant propaganda. We have both. :banana:

to do that you have to constantly switch channels to hear both cheerleaders opinions. why not ONE channel that truly IS fair and balanced?

Which might that be, pray tell?

There are MANY cheerleaders. Telemundo, Fox, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, Al Jazeera, and whatever else I can't think of right now.

I listen to them all (except Al Jazeera), but I mainly switch back and forth between CNN and FOX. Both lean to one side. Hence my previous statement.

Fox has the best (and smartest) chicks. Telemundo cmoes in second on the hotness meter. Just in case you are looking for that cheerleading aspect. :)

It has been stated in the popular media that those that need credit, can't get it. Those that don't need credit, can get it. With access to easy money, has saving it become an anathema to collectorsinvesters? Has the purchasing power of the 1% far out reached that of the 10% that a new pantheon of collectorsinvestors has been established? Or, the credit to the high prices realized should be weighted heavily in favor of good product being marketed by the professional machinations of Heritage Auctions?

You should check out Dover's journal in the Journals sub forum. You guys would get along great.