• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ones that got away

32 posts in this topic

I had recently just purchased an ASM #1 VF+ 8.5 (that turned out to be restored), a Hulk #1 VF 8.0 (that turned out to be restored)....

Who did you buy them from?

I had recently just purchased an ASM #1 VF+ 8.5 (that turned out to be restored), a Hulk #1 VF 8.0 (that turned out to be restored)....

Both books were purchased from the same seller, but it wasn't the "Doctor" if that's what you're thinking. gossip.gif

I'm just curious what planet you and Steve were buying your Avengers #1 on back in the late 1970's. $40 for a FN copy? 893whatthe.gif While its a bit foggy in my mind after all these years, there is no way I ever saw comics that cheap back in the day especially given the prices of new DD's and X-Men at the time. I can still remember looking behind the counter at a local comic shop where they had a bunch of their gems displayed on the wall or in a glass case at the front. I remember seeing prices like $300, $400, $325 FF#12 (CAD prices), etc. I think I paid $40 CAD for a copy of FF#7 (probably would grade at a 4-5) in 1980? Probably not the best purchase I've made (investment wise) but I still have it. cloud9.gif

My planet would be Chicago (can't speak for the other Steve). My impression in retrospect is, that depending on where you lived, prices could fluctuate significantly in the '70s. I suspect that major metropolitan areas had more selection and competition than other areas so prices may have been a bit lower. At that time there weren't a whole lot of shows, stores or mail order, so I think that collectors were often stuck with whatever their local store charged.

Between 1975 and 1979 I bought Spiderman 1 VG/FN ($65), Hulk 1 G ($30), Avengers 1 VG/FN ($40), Avengers 4 FN ($20), TOS 39 G/VG ($40), Daredevil 1 VG ($10), X-Men 1 VG ($25). Of course, I also bought GS X-Men 1 for 50 cents...

The first two Marvel number ones I purchased were Daredevil 1 VG for $10 and Conan 1 VF+ for $15! Goes to show you how hot Conan was once upon a time...

Steve.

Oh, and in deference to the title of this thread, the one book I really regret not buying was a VG/FN Pep 22 for $400. I regret this even though the person selling that book was Fantazia comics aka Danny Dupcak 893whatthe.gif

Both books were purchased from the same seller, but it wasn't the "Doctor" if that's what you're thinking. gossip.gif

Mostly I'm just thinking I don't want to buy any comics from them regardless of who it is.

R,

Did you hit the bottle hard after finding that out. Ouch. tonofbricks.gif

Not really Surfer, you win some and you lose some. I've had more than enough deals go my way to make me philosophical on these things. At that moment in time, I don't see how I could have done anything differently ?

Besides which, I am still in regular contact with this seller and am hopeful the deal can be resurrected again one day. And maybe for a lot less than $70k ! thumbsup2.gifdevil.gif

I think all of us that saw the pacific coast collection advertised by PCE(especially living in So Cal) in the late 90's and not purchasing any of them, let more than a few of them get away. foreheadslap.gif

Seattle, Wa passed up 5 complete (grade? looked VF)copies of Action comics # 1 for complete nm set x-men 1-150, Gs # 1, Iron Fist 1-15 , 4 hulk 181's, 5 Asm 129 's(which were only $2.00 each) only because I was 13 and had no idea the importance of Action 1, I was a Marvel dude and X-men fan. I spent $1,009.57. I still have the receipt from December 22,1984. I don't know how much the Actions were, but we had $300,000 to spend. should have bought microsoft stock I suppose! Lots of hookers..I did however sell my X-men for $30,000.00 so that was a pretty good investment, but nothing on the potential $500,000.00 + + for the A 1's in todays market.

Prince George, B.C. Canada - next OTGA was early 90's - dude walked into my store and put up a box containing AF 15, Spidey 1, Flash Comics 1, Batman 8+ and said he wanted $3,000 TRADE for them and I told him I had to THINK about it........called my friend Mark Wilson and found out that they were legit and then of course I never did see the guy again (he had dropped MW name so I verified he had bought some including the Flash years before from him)

Moved a copy of Marvel Mystery # 1 for a client, I should have bought it myself...

another OTGA - North Bend Oregon buying spree down the west coast

1991 dude that had a fire and rebuilt said he had all but one box of comics destroyed, inside the box were Mad 1, All Select 1 and some others - said he wanted guide for them (FN or better I think they were) - I told him I'd be back in an hour and I think he thought I was going to rob him because I came back with my couple grand and he was closed in the middle of the day all of the sudden..

last OTGA -

LaGrande Oregon 1994

pawn shop had box of comics behind the counter -

Showcase 4,9,10 , Silver Surfer 1-18, etc. short box. Said he'd take $200.00 for all of them as they were too much too keep around. Again, told him i be right back, brought my $200.00 and mysteriously they were sold while I was gone. Did he keep them? Did I have an eavesdropper? I don't know.

HAVE THE CASH WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES that is how 99% of deals are made -

my friend Mr. Magik taught me that, and you can see by my sad examples too.

comics I always wanted but never owned?

Adventure Comics 247

Flash Comics 99-104

the Ashcans

when i was younger my mom was going to buy me amaz spiderman#14 that i saw at a shop that was in nm/m for christmas,but i got into trouble(forget what i did) and she did buy me #14 it just was about 1.0-2.0 foreheadslap.gif i still have that book to this day