• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The problem with Comic Book Men...

92 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm just ignorantly naive or easily entertained but for a show about life in a comic shop I thought it was good and entertaining.....Sort of like a reality show version of "Clerks". Last night's episode was easily the best of the run so far. Almost everything revolved around the business of comics and the GA collection at the end was given its proper attention and salute.

I'll keep watching. :sumo:

(thumbs u

Thumbs up for being honest even though your opinion is unpopular. I could deal with the quirky format and even the dooshbaggery of the wokers IF they would at least dedicate some of the show to comics and the comic industry.

I seem to be in the minority of people who enjoy the show. I also probably am in the minority of people with a foot in the comic book world and in the View Askw stuff, having listened to almost every single podcast that the Smodcast network puts out.

If you're looking for Pawn Stars with comic books, you're probably not going to get it. The Secret Stash store doesn't seem to deal with a lot of vintage material, it's all more modern books, trades, toys and collectibles. The show may promise that but it really seems to be more of an extension of the smodcast network's Tell Em Steve Dave podcast where it's just a bunch of friends goofing around having a good time with some comic store stuff thrown in there. For fans of the smodcast stuff, it's a great watch.

But to break it down for those who don't have background of the cast and their history.

Walt: He's the actual manager of the secret stash, Kevin Smith bought the store and put his friend in charge since they were childhood friends and he brought Smith into the comic book world. He is the one most likely to be caught up on the current books and stuff from the 80's and up, he's all about the bottom line and is the kind to slit your throat for a dollar.

Mike: He is the regular employee at the stash. He knows a lot about comics; old and new. and is most likely to have the most accurate estimate of a comic book or piece of art's value. A real pop culture connisseur.

Ming: Ming is not a regular stash employee, he is Smith's webmaster but his office is located above the stash or something, so he occasionally works in the store but sets up stuff at the store all the time and what not.

Bryan Johnson: Not a current employee of the Stash, he used to run the West Coast branch of the store but he is not a comic book fan and in fact doesn't like comic books. Why is he in the show? Because he's friends with Smith, hangs out at the store a lot and makes the other guys laugh. Picks on Ming not just on tv but also in real life. But they always bust each other's balls so don't think any of them hate each other, they are just giant ball busters.

I agree, this guy is not even on staff and he has the gall to insult the woman.

Does anyone know what "Grizzly Adams" does for a living besides hanging out in a comic book shop and insulting people?

Not much he watches over his niece who has some kind of autism I think and does the tell em steve dave podcast. The guy is genuinely funny...if you have a twisted sense of humor...especially on the podcast where he talks about the time where he was living with his girlfriend and her mom, sent the girlfriend to get some sandwiches and then had sex with the mom who as coming onto him. Well actually that sounds like a terrible thing to do but he tells the story in such a funny way.

Not much he watches over his niece who has some kind of autism I think and does the tell em steve dave podcast. The guy is genuinely funny...if you have a twisted sense of humor...especially on the podcast where he talks about the time where he was living with his girlfriend and her mom, sent the girlfriend to get some sandwiches and then had sex with the mom who as coming onto him. Well actually that sounds like a terrible thing to do but he tells the story in such a funny way.

I have yet to see or hear anything funny about him.

Sex with his girlfriend's mom included.

Sorry, but Bryan Johnson did not have to be rude to that woman about where she lives (Staten Island, NY) or about her books last night.

In the first episode they made fun of some woman who came in with a doll to sell. I get that she was a bit on the odd side...but when one is working in a comic shop, I just don't feel like they have much room to talk.

Sorry, but Bryan Johnson did not have to be rude to that woman about where she lives (Staten Island, NY) or about her books last night.

In the first episode they made fun of some woman who came in with a doll to sell. I get that she was a bit on the odd side...but when one is working in a comic shop, I just don't feel like they have much room to talk.

SNAP!

:grin:

Can I ask a serious question? Is this what comic book shops are like? Sadly I have never been inside a Comic shop because there are none in my state and the ones in other parts of Australia are way to expensive. It's cheaper and easier to buy things online....

But back to my question:

Are Comic Book Men in the U.S. actually like this?

They can be.

The more successful stores have owners and workers that are a little sharper than these guys. Some stores have some really cool cats. All depends on the store.

There are plenty of stores that make this place look like a lemonade stand with 8 year old kids running it.

It wouldn't be hard to be a little sharper than these guys..

The people I've dealt with, whether it be on the phone, online or here on the boards are usually intelligent informed guys/girls. I really don't think this show does anything to help the comic book industry as a whole. I watched it with a non-comic person who was seriously interested is seeing a lot of "old" comic books bought or sold. The show held their attention for about 10 mins. Sad because i'm sure it could be done a LOT better - staged or not.

couldn't someone set some cams in a store 24/7?. It'd make much better viewing

That's just sad.

I watched the second episode last night when Jason Mewes shows up, just to see if I am missing anything here. It is just sad to see where he is at. It has to break Kevin Smith's heart after all he did to assist his friend, including multiple times checking him into rehab.

If not for Kevin Smith's talents and personality, you probably wouldn't see most of these folks in movies or TV other than when a news team would do a spot on a comic convention. And even then, they'd be the folks in the back of the crowd as all the reporter would get out of Johnson is sarcastic remarks.

I have yet to see or hear anything funny about him.

Sex with his girlfriend's mom included.

Yeah I agree. EVERYTIME they show him, I want so bad to get a pair of scissors and clip that beard off. And what's with his haircut?

But, I admit...I am still watching the show. I DVR it and watch it on Monday's with the girlfriend. She finds is slightly amusing (and she doesn't even like comics) so I would rather watch this than The Bachelor.

Just my opinion...

Anything that puts the spotlight on our fantastic hobby is a plus. The show may not be great, it may not even be good, however I appreciate seeing a comic book shop on television. I hope that people see past the shenanigans to noticed the awesome hobby of comic book reading and collecting.

Just my opinion...

Anything that puts the spotlight on our fantastic hobby is a plus. The show may not be great, it may not even be good, however I appreciate seeing a comic book shop on television. I hope that people see past the shenanigans to noticed the awesome hobby of comic book reading and collecting.

What I've bolded is why I get frustrated with everyone when I read the venom being spewed about this show. My wife's office got hooked on the Walking Dead because we recommended it, and now they seem to be enjoying Comic Book Men because they're learning about some historical comics. Price and value have had little or nothing to do with it. I had a conversation with a guy at my wife's office after the first episode about the hypodermic on the cover of Tec 35, about the whole pre-Robin Tec craze, and the value of books from that era. Not once did he ask was the price they mentioned on the show accurate. People in her office have started ordered TPB's from amazon now because of the walking dead and this show. That is a good thing in my opinion.