• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New comics for 6/3/2004

35 posts in this topic

Y was great! It's nice to see Yorick is finally being affected by SOMETHING... this is a very interesting turn of events for this book. To me, the conversation between the principal characters toward the end was more of a cliffhanger than the last page.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Avengers / Thunderbolts #4

Marvel Knights 4 #6

Thanos #11

Ultimate Spider-Man #60

Ultimate Fantastic Four #6

Y The Last Man #23

And you can add to that list:

Amazing Spider-Man 500 Covers HC

Best of Spider-Man Vol. 3 HC

Essential Spider-Man Vol.6

Superman in World's Finest Vol. 1 HC

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4 HC

So this is it. This is the week that I went broke... no... only kidding... sort of... I've mentioned here before that I prefer the collected edition over the single issue multi-part story...look at that list above and tell me what won't see print as a tpb or a hardcover?

Y? Check

Ultimate Spidey? Check.

Ultimate FF? Check.

Marvel Knights 4? Check

Avengers/Tbolts? Check

Thanos... probably not since #12 is the last issue. But they did do 1-6, so you never know.

So I think that's it for me. From now on, I wait for the trade.

What a mixed bag of utter incompleteness this week. You need a map to decipher some of these titles.

UFF was mediocre, as others have mentioned, Warren Ellis (and let's not forget Stuart Immonen) should help A LOT

USM is always incomplete,

Marvel Knights 4 was EXCELLENT,

Avengers/Thunderbolts was merely ok

Thanos has been getting progressively worse during this storyarc, and I'm beginning to think that it's cancellation is a mercy killing.

Y the Last Man was good, but I can't wait for Pia to come back on art.

As for the hardcovers:

Best of Spidey 3 - I don't hate the Straczynki/Romita Jr as much as some of you, and I think the stories work when collected in this format.

Ultimate Spidey 4 - the best way to read USM is in the hardcover collections

ASM 500 covers - neat

Superman in World's Finest Vol. 1 = EXCELLENT. Like finding a new painting by one of the great masters, these are cool as they've never been reprinted and feature a lot of early introductions... Metalo, The Daily Planet, Jimmy Olson. Very cool if you like GA material.

Essential Spider-Man 6 - great stuff! My nephew is going to like this one. From the fall of Norman to the rise of Harry and everything in between, this is a classic.

So now what? With DC ALREADY announcing trades for JLA Another Nail, Jim Lee's Superman Vol. 1 HC, Michael Turner's Superman/Batman HC, Swamp Thing and numerous others, I have no problem dumping the floppies.

Kev

Go get Thor 80. It is tremendous. When the Oeming arc is over, btw, it will be DROOLING FANBOY HEAVEN in the creative team. Think of the an over the top team. And then top it. I can't tell you, but its going to be out there.

Garth Ennis and Simon Bisley?

Walt Simonson?

Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross?

Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons?

Alan moore and anyone (since Moore working at Marvel would be an earth-shattering piece of amazingly impossibleness.)

Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons?

Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow?

Warren Ellis and Moebius? <-- (I would [!@#%^&^] myself)

Warren Ellis and Alan Davis?

You said out there, how about Alejandro Jodorowsky and Siekiewicz/Ashley Wood/ Dave McKean?

Better than any of these.. Well, wait, maybe not better than Moore. But in that range.

USM is always incomplete

No it isn't. Ultimate Spider-Man 8 just came out. I'm waiting for USM 9. Just read it in the trades, the way its supposed to be, and you'll be fine.

That's pretty much what I'm advocating too. The monthlies are too fragmented to really enjoy.

Except I'm waiting for Volume 5 (the next hardcover) instead of the trade.

K

Go get Thor 80. It is tremendous. When the Oeming arc is over, btw, it will be DROOLING FANBOY HEAVEN in the creative team. Think of the an over the top team. And then top it. I can't tell you, but its going to be out there.

Walt Simonson?

Alan moore and anyone (since Moore working at Marvel would be an earth-shattering piece of amazingly impossibleness.)

You said out there, how about Alejandro Jodorowsky and Siekiewicz/Ashley Wood/ Dave McKean?

Better than any of these.. Well, wait, maybe not better than Moore. But in that range.

That's impossible. You speak of the impossible.

Walt Simonson?

That's impossible. You speak of the impossible.

Open your mind, young grasshopper. All will be revealed.

gossip.gif Neil Gaiman was said by Joey Q. to be doing something else for Marvel. He's previously done alternate takes on "Thor" in Sandman, American Gods, and most recently, 1602. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

gossip.gif Neil Gaiman was said by Joey Q. to be doing something else for Marvel. He's previously done alternate takes on "Thor" in Sandman, American Gods, and most recently, 1602. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

shocked.gif893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Sweet! cloud9.gif

I guess Thor will be making it's way to my pull-list.