• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somewhat OT: Anyone Read This Book?

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", by Michael Chabon? I just finished it, and it is a tremendous fictional account of two young comic book creators during WWII, and I highly recommend it. One aspect of the book that likely applied to the creation of some of our most beloved Golden Age superheroes that plays a big role: the influence of cultural events of WWII, and of the plight of European Jews, on the superhero myth.

Here is the description on the dust jacket: Joe Kavalier, a young Jewish artist who has also been trained in the art of Houdini-esque escape, has just smuggled himself out of Nazi-invaded Prague and landed in New York City. His Brooklyn cousin Sammy Clay is looking for a partner to create heroes, stories and art for the latest novelty to hit America - the comic book. Drawing on their own fears and dreams, Kavalier and Clay create the Escapist, the Monitor, and Luna Moth, inspired by the beautiful Rosa Saks....

This book was simply the best story related to comics that I have ever read. Its got the starving artists and writers, the greedy and ignorant publishers, and insight into the comic book creative process to boot. While it's a novel, I think it has alot to say about the start of the superhero era at the beginning of the war. It doesn't hurt that Chabon is a fantastic writer (having won a Pulitzer Prize for the book).

Has anyone read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", by Michael Chabon? I just finished it, and it is a tremendous fictional account of two young comic book creators during WWII, and I highly recommend it. One aspect of the book that likely applied to the creation of some of our most beloved Golden Age superheroes that plays a big role: the influence of cultural events of WWII, and of the plight of European Jews, on the superhero myth.

Here is the description on the dust jacket: Joe Kavalier, a young Jewish artist who has also been trained in the art of Houdini-esque escape, has just smuggled himself out of Nazi-invaded Prague and landed in New York City. His Brooklyn cousin Sammy Clay is looking for a partner to create heroes, stories and art for the latest novelty to hit America - the comic book. Drawing on their own fears and dreams, Kavalier and Clay create the Escapist, the Monitor, and Luna Moth, inspired by the beautiful Rosa Saks....

This book was simply the best story related to comics that I have ever read. Its got the starving artists and writers, the greedy and ignorant publishers, and insight into the comic book creative process to boot. While it's a novel, I think it has alot to say about the start of the superhero era at the beginning of the war. It doesn't hurt that Chabon is a fantastic writer (having won a Pulitzer Prize for the book).

I read it last summer. I had difficulty getting past the first few pages because of Chabon's tendency to overuse metaphors in an attempt to show everyone what a great writer he is. I found this incredibly distracting because it pulled my attention away from the story and made me think "Who is he trying to impress?"

But once I got past the first chapter or so, he calmed down a bit and the rest of the story was outstanding.

thumbsup2.gif

Not in book form.. but gave it a listen to it on Books on Tape.

As I work downstairs , I zone out on Music, or Books on Tape.

Was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it.

sounds interesting....any plans on it becoming a major motion picture? Sounds like it could be an Oscar winner.

I read it last summer. I had difficulty getting past the first few pages because of Chabon's tendency to overuse metaphors in an attempt to show everyone what a great writer he is. I found this incredibly distracting because it pulled my attention away from the story and made me think "Who is he trying to impress?"

But once I got past the first chapter or so, he calmed down a bit and the rest of the story was outstanding.

thumbsup2.gif

Maybe that was my problem with the book. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't grab me by ten pages in, then I won't bother.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

They're releasing a comic book called the Escapist based on the comic from the novel.

Michael Chabon lives in my area (in Berkeley, California)

http://www.michaelchabon.com/

Maybe that was my problem with the book. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't grab me by ten pages in, then I won't bother.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Im always bored in the beginning of a book (unless its written with a slam bang opening) But I stick it out and get into it. Unless it sucks!!

I thought it was a great book. Reread it this past spring (I do that),....and it made me apprecitate the energy present at the birth of the Golden Age and the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to comic book publishing.

And yes, there were plans to make it into a movie. All I know is that I thought that Adrien Brody would make the perfect Joseph Kavalier.

brody.jpg