• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,564 posts in this topic

Don't have it in hand yet but I am the proud owner of Hulk 198 (30 cent variant) in 9.2.

I have 2 more (198 and 199) at CGC still. Hopefully I will know in the next day or two.

I just found out the grades on both of my Hulk 30 cent variants.

Hulk 198 CGC 9.8 30 cent variant. None in 9.6. This is the only one of its kind :banana:

Hulk 199 CGC 9.6 30 cent variant. Also one of a kind and top census copy :banana:

Will post scans tomorrow night.

Were those the ones from me?

Yep.

(thumbs u

:gossip: those were my undercopies...

you should have bought the 201 :baiting:

Is it too late :wishluck:

yea sorry, sold to another boardmember

Was wondering if some of the 35 cent variant collectors could help me out. I'm a Scooby Doo completist, and was aware a 35-cent variant of Scooby 1 existed. Haven't really sought one out but found the below eBay auction. Without really any knowledge of how difficult this book is with a 35 cent price on it, is this too much to pay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOOBY-DOO-1-CGC-8-5-RAREST-35-CENT-VARIANT_W0QQitemZ120337785520QQihZ002QQcategoryZ12589QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Was wondering if some of the 35 cent variant collectors could help me out. I'm a Scooby Doo completist, and was aware a 35-cent variant of Scooby 1 existed. Haven't really sought one out but found the below eBay auction. Without really any knowledge of how difficult this book is with a 35 cent price on it, is this too much to pay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOOBY-DOO-1-CGC-8-5-RAREST-35-CENT-VARIANT_W0QQitemZ120337785520QQihZ002QQcategoryZ12589QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have had the book for a long time and take it to shows with a very similar price tag. I am not commenting on how much they ask for such a rare novelty, but rather saying that if it was a super good deal, it would have been long gone years ago.

I saw that one the other day. Its one of the few I have personally never seen or up for auction till that one. I cant tell you all the scooby doo copies I have looked at over the years.

I just wanted to find one to prove you could find one. Alas 4 years and still looking or something like that. I remember telling Harry at one time that they shouldnt be too hard to find as I found my X-men copies pretty easy 3 times. Westerns, Toons and War stuff are a different animal all together. I was just tickled last year when I found a horror 30 center. Its still fun as hell too look, but unless I am in Southern KY or lower I dont look seriously. I have yet to even find one in Indiana which is odd considering Ohio is full of them go figure.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Just in from ebay.

con-065-price1.JPG

That pic shows how nice the colors are.

But this one shows how much wear the cover has.

con-065-price2.JPG

That's 3 of the Conan 30-centers down now.

Edited by tay666

Thanks for posting the list FD.

You can use Rob Reacts Daredevil books that he just posted to illustrate the point that the "Overstreet prices" do not reflect market reality. I should also point out that the books might have traded even higher if the PQ was OW/W or better. But who knows? There is not a 9.2 in OW/W to compare the sale with.

Daredevil 146 in CGC 9.2 COW pages sold for $231.50 (Overstreet says $100 in 9.2)

Daredevil 147 in CGC 6.5 COW pages sold for $59.03 (Overstreet says $70 in 9.2)

Daredevil 148 in CGC 9.0 OW pages sold for $142.50 (Overstreet says $70 in 9.2)

Anyone want to sell me any spidey or x-men books at Overstreet prices?

The only high grade X-Men variant to sell this year (2009) was X-Men 100 in 9.4. For $1500!

I don't think anyone owns a complete set of X-Men variants in 9.2 or better. GPA records go back to 2002 and issue 106 has never traded in 9.2 or higher. The collection is achievable in the sense that all six price variant issues have copies that have been graded in 9.2 or better. Assuming that you can find the 106 hiding in a collection somewhere, it should only take four or five years to acquire the set at the current rate that they come up at auction. (The last 9.2 107 sold in 2005 and the last 9.2 98 sold in 2006.) You will have some competition on the books. No 9.2 certifed X-men price variant has ever sold for overstreet prices. The average is $750 for the few 9.2s that have sold.

Amazing Spider-Man is currently not achievable in CGC 9.2 or better as three of the ten issues have never been certified in 9.2 or better.

GPA records go back to 2002 and issue 106 has never traded in 9.2 or higher.

Actually, a CGC 9.4 copy sold for around $150 on EBay awhile back - I'm sure around 2001-2003 (I have it recorded in an old Auction Magic file). Bizarre sale, before the whole "35-cent rarity" deal was fully established.

EDIT: Is that book still on the Census or was it pressed into a 9.6?

GPA records go back to 2002 and issue 106 has never traded in 9.2 or higher.

Actually, a CGC 9.4 copy sold for around $150 on EBay awhile back - I'm sure around 2001-2003 (I have it recorded in an old Auction Magic file). Bizarre sale, before the whole "35-cent rarity" deal was fully established.

EDIT: Is that book still on the Census or was it pressed into a 9.6?

There is one 9.6 and two 9.2s, two 9.0s and no 8.5s on the census. No 9.4.

I rechecked GPA just to make sure and the highest grade 106 variant sale is a 9.0. Regular copies of 106 in 9.4 sold for up to $225 dollars in 2001 - 2003, so the sale of that book could have been mixed up in those sales?

Here is the census information on the X-Men Bronze Age Price Variants. The first five numbers are the top five grades of each issue. I love these books because these issues fall early in (IMHO) the greatest bronze age run of comic books and they are super elusive in high grade or any grade for that matter. To illustrate the challenge of completing the variant set, here is something to think about. For $1700, you could have purchased a high grade set of these issues CGC certified in 9.6 in the past month as multiple copies of each of these issues have traded this year. In contrast, if in September 2005, you had started trying to purchase a complete set of these issues certified in ANY grade, you would still not be finished.

X-Men 98 30 Cent Price Variant 9.6, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2 48 total graded

X-Men 99 30 Cent Price Variant 9.4, 9.4, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2 56 total graded

X-Men 100 30 Cent Price Variant 9.4, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2 47 total graded

X-Men 105 35 Cent Price Variant 9.4, 9.2, 9.2, 9.2, 8.5 11 total graded

X-Men 106 35 Cent Price Variant 9.6, 9.2, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0 9 total graded

X-Men 107 35 Cent Price Variant 9.4, 9.2, 8.5, 8.5, 8.0 9 total graded

:acclaim: :banana:eight :banana::acclaim:

I believe that Bonas has completed the 30 cent set which makes eight complete sets.

Is that including the Dr. Strange #14 orange starburst variant? ;)

I believe this is the order of sets completed (excepting the above variant).

FlyingDonut

Silver&Bronze

4Gemworks

Darthdeisel

Shieldagent

Metarog

Canickus

Bonas

Do we know how long it took everybody? It took me a little over two years from the time I got my first (DD 134) until my last (KC 208).