• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,559 posts in this topic

My first 30 cent variant was an X-Men 99 CGC SS 7.5 with Dave Cockrum sig purchased from The Beyonder on 9/21/2006. I finished with the Ringo Kid 28 and Kid Colt 208 which I got in a zillaf4 ebay auction on 3/8/2008. So it took me almost 18 months to complete the set.

:acclaim: :banana:eight :banana::acclaim:

I believe that Bonas has completed the 30 cent set which makes eight complete sets.

Is that including the Dr. Strange #14 orange starburst variant? ;)

I believe this is the order of sets completed (excepting the above variant).

FlyingDonut

Silver&Bronze

4Gemworks

Darthdeisel

Shieldagent

Metarog

Canickus

Bonas

Do we know how long it took everybody? It took me a little over two years from the time I got my first (DD 134) until my last (KC 208).

I'm always amazed that CosmicSpiderMan finished the 35 cent variants before the 30 cent variants?

How may complete sets of 35 cent variants are there?

There is one 9.6 and two 9.2s, two 9.0s and no 8.5s on the census. No 9.4.

I rechecked GPA just to make sure and the highest grade 106 variant sale is a 9.0. Regular copies of 106 in 9.4 sold for up to $225 dollars in 2001 - 2003, so the sale of that book could have been mixed up in those sales?

I'm remembering that it was earlier than GPA and one of those "not noted by CGC on the label/Census" deals, although it wasn't hidden, as the seller openly promoted it as a 35-cent variant in the auction title and text.

It was definitely a CGC 9.4 copy, just not included in the Census, along with many slabbed 35-cent variants.

I believe that Bonas has completed the 30 cent set which makes eight complete sets.

FlyingDonut

Silver&Bronze

4Gemworks

Darthdeisel

Shieldagent

Metarog

Canickus

Bonas

Do we know how long it took everybody? It took me a little over two years from the time I got my first (DD 134) until my last (KC 208).

I'm always amazed that CosmicSpiderMan finished the 35 cent variants before the 30 cent variants?

How may complete sets of 35 cent variants are there?

Cosmic has the only complete set that I know of although there are a few within striking distance. I don't know if there are enough copies of the HB variants to make more than 5 complete sets so this is quite an accomplishment.

still only one.

There are three that are close, but close may mean another three to five years. The variants are a challenge, but the most fun I have had in collecting.

three to five

sounds like a prison sentence to me.

I hope your prediction is not true for me, as alot of the fun is currently gone.

FlyingDonut

Silver&Bronze

4Gemworks

Darthdeisel

Shieldagent

Metarog

Canickus

Bonas

I just did the math, and think I wanna puke. If I remember correctly, it pretty much took me just over 4 years, and that was with plenty of time on my hands and living in Balt., one of the distribution areas. It's just so much easier now, with ebay sellers noting them, CGC actually labelling them, etc. Back in late 1998, when I started, there was NEVER a listing for them on ebay (which is both good and bad), and most dealers had no idea what they were. That made it easy to find bargains, but tougher to get the difficult issues.

Ah, good memories of Donut and I trying to race eash other through every box at the Tysons show. (thumbs u

still only one.

There are three that are close, but close may mean another three to five years. The variants are a challenge, but the most fun I have had in collecting.

three to five

sounds like a prison sentence to me.

I hope your prediction is not true for me, as alot of the fun is currently gone.

Man, that makes me sad.

But I do know what you mean. Toward the end of the 30 cent hunt, I pretty much just wanted it over with. The last few were like a grudge match, and I couldn't wait to return to my normal collecting habits. Then, when I finished, I couldn't remember what I was collecting and just aimlessly picked up books. Very frustrating.

Which is why I couldn't even fathom continuing the .35 cent set and stopped at around 60 some books.

Here's a similar one I sold awhile back - not noted by CGC on the label, and I've owned two others like this and seen quite a few more. These 35-centers are easy to miss, and CGC has on a few occasions.

76545.jpg.54814ec911baa31273f1766657f227a9.jpg

76546.jpg.6510b38b092990cd04a66ccfa1b94fc6.jpg

I think I'll always keep my raw 35-centers, as these remind me of better, simpler times - searching EBay, talking over variants with some email contacts, comparing notes, etc. It was a lot of fun, and times I'll remember forever. :cloud9:

EBay must have really gone downhill fast if I'm nostalgic for 2000-2003. :insane:

one of only a handful I own/ wish it was in better condition

scan0001-7.jpg

that was thought to be a super tough book until the ebay seller spear something-or-other showed a picture of 10 of them that he found in a collection he bought.

cool book though

This should not get lost in the mix. This is a real variant variant like the

Captain America 212 no banner 35 cent variant, and no variant set is complete without them.

:insane:

Captain America 212 no banner 35 cent variant, and no variant set is complete without them.

Have and pictures for comparison? :wishluck:

Have and pictures for comparison? :wishluck:

Yes I have both.

here is a pic of the captain america 212 from stl:

Captain_America_212b.jpg

I know of three copies: cosmic-spider-mans copy (pictured above), mine, and one that just sold on Clink that was, I believe, a graded 4.5