• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

hey terry,

thanks for the reply. I got interested in price variants w

hen i found that collection in SF here a few years ago. Went to a guy here in SF who had a collection of nice bronze comics. going throught the boxes and file cabinets, seeing issues in sequential numbers and prices going from 30 cents to 35 cents and then back to 30 cents, I thought to myself, "what the heck?"

So, naturally, I snatched them all, i had heard about them, but never owned one. I am 42 years old and have been actively collecting for 30 years now. so did a little research, and found Paul's site. put them up on ebay and they easily sold for $100 each. I was shocked!

I gave you that phone number for Tony and he definitely bought them from his area in Marin at a local comics shop in 77. But , if the owner originally got them in this area is the question. Most of the 35 cent comics, i have found have been on ebay through hiddens. now, 30 cents is different. I find alot of those, in this area. my count is up to 35.on 30 cent variants,

but, since recently being unemployed,here in sf, you will probably see more of my better comics up for bid.in the future.

But I do not like sending them in to be graded, but that seems to be the standard, now. I think I have a pretty good idea about grading. Too bad that CGC is in NY, they should become bicoastal, but who would want to open a CA business? The tax would kill you! I hate waiting three months to get my comics back.

anyways I am ranting.

Really like all my books unslabbed, but decided to send off all my variants and one or two others that I plan to KEEP for awhile to get them sealed up. They grade tough as I found out last year so Ill put my grade down here and see what they come back as just for kicks

Included are

X-men 100 - 5.0

X-men 105 8.0

Avengers 161 - 8.5 or 8.0

X-men 110 - 9.6 (Not a variant I know, but best copy I have ever seen.)

and a few others I may add if I change my mind.

hey Fastball,

good luck on the variant hunting! i hope you are not the best man in the wedding! Tell the groom you might be late , cause your looking for comics! makepoint.gif

no i don't seem to see any disrespect between 30 and 35 cent collectors, though.

In fact, if i was an investor, I would hold onto both! I just enjoy the hunt of looking for something different!

hey Fastball,

good luck on the variant hunting! i hope you are not the best man in the wedding! Tell the groom you might be late , cause your looking for comics! makepoint.gif

no i don't seem to see any disrespect between 30 and 35 cent collectors, though.

Oh no I just meant that Overstreet undervalues the 35 center X-men books while at the same time overvaluing the X-men 30 centers. Collectors of both are generally the same in my findings. I

I too enjoy the chase its fun and something different.

893applaud-thumb.gif Congratulation on that Marvel Team-Up #60 that is the best deal I have ever seen on a openly listed 35 cent variant I almost bid $5 on it but decided not to.

Will be traveling to Nashville next month for a wedding wish me luck looking

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Good Luck in Nashville they do show up their from time to time I make the trip about once a month to look for them, found three the last time I went. Their are 5 comic book stores their and I have found variants at three of them all 35 cent ones no 30 centers though.

I gave you that phone number for Tony and he definitely bought them from his area in Marin at a local comics shop in 77. But , if the owner originally got them in this area is the question.

thumbsup2.gif I did call this guy and told him I was interested in finding out where these 35 cent variants were originaly sold and that you had got some from him. He said that he did remember buying those comics but that he didn't have time to talk right then. So I gave him my phone number and my email address and he said he would get in touch with me but I have never heard back from him. It would be cool to find out that SF was the fifth distribution area of these 35 cent variants but I don't know confused-smiley-013.gif. Their is another board member from SF "realitytrip" and he is sure it is not. I would still bet that that fifth location is very close to SF at least in California 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. We will find out for sure some day grin.gif I hope.

893applaud-thumb.gif Congratulation on that Marvel Team-Up #60 that is the best deal I have ever seen on a openly listed 35 cent variant I almost bid $5 on it but decided not to.

Will be traveling to Nashville next month for a wedding wish me luck looking

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Good Luck in Nashville they do show up their from time to time I make the trip about once a month to look for them, found three the last time I went. Their are 5 comic book stores their and I have found variants at three of them all 35 cent ones no 30 centers though.

Really it was a horribly listed variant as most buyers will just laugh and pass it by because the number didnt match up. Just got lucky this time. I couldnt beat the price and I found it early if I rem correctly. Ill take any copy I can that is at least a G anytime. Set collectors are fanactical I have found.

Talk to a few shops down there already and many still have ABSOLUTELY no clue about these books which is fine with me. Been finding books since college that way. Ah I miss the newstand days of the early 90s such fun when I was in college.

I think Ill venture the Flea Market circuit also as they really have no clue most of the time.

Man I hate disable both my firewalls just to post here. Probably why I only post occasionally sign-rantpost.gif

I would definitely go the flea market route. I lived in Nashville during undergrad, and most of variant stuff is quite picked over. The best I've found at any of the shops are a 30 cent Avengers 148 in fine and a 30 cent Daredevil 133 in fine.

On a similiar note, I realize that the price variants are hard to find, but I've still found about 10 along my stretch of I-65 (From Nashville to Montgomery and including Tuscaloosa) in the past 4-5 years. Does this seem to be anymore or less than normal? I would think that with two test locations (Nashville and Tuscaloosa/Birmingham) within 3 hours of each other, the variants would be a little more prevalent, but I guess the issues have just spread out more from here.

Let me know if you do find anything-good luck!!!

hey guys,

do you think my price for the Star Wars variant is too high?

I believe my grading is pretty accurate and i have never had a complaint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=6523568894

it really is my best variant shape wise I have ever had. thumbsup2.gif

i have seen them on ebay before most recenlty a CGC 8.0 graded that went for a $150.00 BIN price, but i believe mine is in better shape.

your thoughts?

I also discovered when i was posting this auction that my scanner needed cleaning! i saw spots on the comic that were never there! Lord knows how long it has been dirty! 893whatthe.gif

hey guys,

do you think my price for the Star Wars variant is too high?

I believe my grading is pretty accurate and i have never had a complaint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=6523568894

it really is my best variant shape wise I have ever had. thumbsup2.gif

i have seen them on ebay before most recenlty a CGC 8.0 graded that went for a $150.00 BIN price, but i believe mine is in better shape.

your thoughts?

I also discovered when i was posting this auction that my scanner needed cleaning! i saw spots on the comic that were never there! Lord knows how long it has been dirty! 893whatthe.gif

I cannot speak for too high, but I may have hit a $200 BIN. takeit.gif That is on my list of books to find that are "hidden" because of the SW fanatics... insane.gif

I was wrong about your WWT and I pity the person who finds the next one. sorry.gif Maybe the same guy needs a SW3??? If so, perhaps your BIN is too low. confused-smiley-013.gif

thanks Terry for the help looks like it worked!

well, i was very dissapointed , the comic is one of the worst i have ever owned! lots of moisture damage, wrinkley on the cover , quite a few nicks on the spine. guess i should have asked the seller about it!

thanks Terry for the help looks like it worked!

well, i was very dissapointed , the comic is one of the worst i have ever owned! lots of moisture damage, wrinkley on the cover , quite a few nicks on the spine. guess i should have asked the seller about it!

In case you guys do not already know it, both Comichunters & Cosmic Spider Man are the most proficient hidden variant scroungers I have ever run across..

Cheers! hail.gif