• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,555 posts in this topic

It is ridiculous that a movie or "event" drives up the price on a comic. Batman 232 is a prime ex. People forking out 1000.00 for a CGC 9.6 for a book that 3-6 months from now you will be able to pick-up for half. There not printing anymore copies and they are actually more plentiful now than they were a year ago. It is worse than the stock market.

I like rare books, and the further you get from 1977 the more rare the 35 cent copies seem to get. I guess its like land, they dont make it anymore either. I had considered selling them all, but it really seems to be kind of nuts to let go of them. Considering how hard it is to come by them.

They are NOT hard to get--they are hard to afford! You have guys hitting BINS for crazy prices, making the comic community think their John Carter 1 variant is now a $80 - $150 book. Well, it isn't so, as witnessed by the earlshaw and the KDK99 auctions.

I ask all the time: rare--yes, but who wants them besides a couple of us chasing the run? insane.gif

You still have some I need. Hook me up. hi.gif

Would anybody read/post comments on a blog about 30 and 35 cent variants? I figured I would put info like past ebay selling prices,scans, etc. on it too. I've got a lot of time on my hands (I took the block off from med school), so let me know.

Would anybody read/post comments on a blog about 30 and 35 cent variants? I figured I would put info like past ebay selling prices,scans, etc. on it too. I've got a lot of time on my hands (I took the block off from med school), so let me know.

Yes--link?

Just checked out your blog and saw this result foreheadslap.gif

Hmmm...

Did I do something wrong? Or are you just surprised by the ending price smile.gif.

Surprised I lost with a $200 snipe for 2 FN books confused-smiley-013.giffrown.gif

To a (1) feedback bidder.....who woke up one day and decided to collect Cat 5 variants, and snipes, and brings the pain.

It is probably just me, but something is fishy, probably a good thing you did not win Carl.

Anyhow, "moneymaker" will make no money on those.

I have still got about 60-70 different issues of these 35 cent copies and I was hoping on new buyers or more interest. I was figuring some of these folks I didnt recognize were the ones driving up the price. Dont get me wrong, these are neat books and anyone can lok at the CGC census and see that they are obviously very rare. The law of Large numbers will tell you that, or the lack of the large numbers. I still cant figure why the Star Wars 1 is so much more expensive. There are more copies of that book offered than any other variant or so it seems. I am still a novice at this and really shouldnt even try to venture an opinion. I was just lucky to be at the right place/right time to get the variants I have.

As said before, the Star Wars books have the "cross-over collectiblity factor" with the movie fanatics that most of the other variants don't. At least, that's the way I see it.

K

Plus that particular variant has been in listings for years. So it is more well known.

First I ever heard of price variants was when Mile High started listing that SW #1 variant for stupid money. That just kept going higher and higher.