• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,554 posts in this topic

Or get it here for 2$. I thought it to be rarer than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Star-Wars-11-...VQQcmdZViewItem

It isn't rare because it is not a price variant. All Marvels were priced at 35 cents by this time. It is a variant because it has the diamond rather than the square box price. The difference being direct sales and news stand. Some people refer to these as Marvel Whitmans. The Star Wars fat diamond variants are pretty easy to come by, but some of the other Fat diamond Variants are pretty hard to find in higher grade. Such as, X-men #118.

What are some other examples of the fat diamonds that are HTF in your experience??

Are the ones you are calling "Fat Ones" the bursted Whitman/Marvels? If so X-men 118 is fairly difficult to find in higher grades, but I have seen one. All Marvel Tales are difficult, as well as Triple Action, Human Flys are tough, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvels Greatest as well. Keep in mind many titles didnt even have any of these and like X-men many only had one issue. The easiest by far are Micronauts, BG, Star Wars, and FF for some reason(I have several doubles of them.)

Not doubting eithe one of you, but I have been unable to find one anywhere in a very long time.

There was one guy on EBay, who probably had a pile of Whitman packs, selling off lots of CGC copies of that book.

What kind of condition are you looking at, as I likely have dupes, but probably not NM.

X-Men0118.jpg

I've had this fairly decent copy of X-Men 118 in my collection since it was published in 1979. Was this variant sold only in a Whitman pack? My memory is not what it used to be but I know it was almost like a scavenger hunt in those days to find copies of missed issues. I have a few other Marvel issues from the same time period such as an issue of Thor and the Avengers that have the same blank space in the UPC box. Were those all sold only in Whitman pre-packs?

Were those all sold only in Whitman pre-packs?

This is a point of some contention, but logic entails that these early Fat Diamond copies are Whitmans. Others feel they are early Direct Market copies, but OS and other pubs state these started at bit later. One thing is for sure, these were in Whitman-branded multi-packs.

I think they are Whitmans, as for example, X-Men 118 is the only X-Men comic from that era to have a Fat Diamond copy. So what happened to the Direct Market through those other 24+ months, it just disappear? 27_laughing.gif

I don't doubt that I did buy a Whitman pack somewhere with this issue in it, particularly if I missed this one at the newstand. I was living in a town with no comic shop in 1979 and purchased my comics at stores like 7-11. If you missed an issue you had the devil of a time finding it later. Wonder what the other Marvels were in the Whitman packs the seller was offering on eBay? They may be the exact ones I have in my collection.

I too have wonder this. I have never seen a X-men 118 in a Whitman pack. I always see the common ones FF, Daredevil, Spiderwoman, Machine Man, Shogun Warriors, Micronauts and I think one Avengers. Its really fun tracking these down and some day Ill figure out jsut how many I have left here is a list I researched at STL and posted it I used Gifflefunks web site and then cross referenced it to produce this bursted/fat diamond list. Feel free to add to it if I am missing one.

ASM 185-189

Avengers 176,177,179,180,

Battle Star Galactica 2,3

CM 224-,230,233,

Conan 91,92,93,94,95,98

DD 156

Defenders 64,67,68,

Doctor Strange 33

Fantastic Four 199(Most Common I have) 201,202,203

H Fly 14,15,18

Hulk 228,229,230,231,232

Invaders 37

Iron man 115-119

Machine Man 8

MSH 75-78, 80

Marvel Tales 96-99

Marvel Team Up 75-78

Marvel Two In One 43-48, 51

Marvel’s Greatest Comics 80

Micronauts 1-3

Shogun Warriors 1-2

Spidey Super Stories 38

Spectacular Spiderman 24-27

Star Wars 16-18

Tarzan 17-21

Thor 276-280,283

X-men 118

I omitted these two by accident.

Marvel Super Action 11

Spider-woman 11

You might be interested in looking at this link

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/Direct/index.htm

A much more comprehensive list.

I think that was the website that was referenced in creation of that list. The list that was posted, though, is intended to focus only on the fat black diamonds and the diamond/starburst issues from the website.