• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,553 posts in this topic

I've told this story a few times, but here is how I became a price variant collector.

Around 2004, maybe 2005 I finished a BA RAW run in High Grade and I posted the books here. Not too many of us on the boards then, we were pretty much on a first name basis, most ppl had run into each other in person and were friends ... or not lol. Anyway I post my run, greggy probably makes some comment about them not being 100 pagers, bronzebruce applauds, though secretly thinks those are 9.6 copies and I poop on those. No matter, it was a certain flying circular ChiTown transplanted to Maryland :censored: who uttered a very simple phrase, 'including the Variants?' It was like a splinter entered my mind, doh!:flamed::frustrated::pullhair::tonofbricks::censored:(tsk):censored::censored: Variants? Who gave a flying :censored: about the Variants? As the days went on, I did, that's who. The OCD comic geek in me went into over drive. My perfectly respectable Amazing Adventures run, an 11 in Raw 9.4/9.6 for :censored: sakes. And the Variants? It played over and over, NO I DIDN'T HAVE THE :censored: VARIANTS ....... YET. Anyway I got the Amazing Adventures Variants and a whole lot more.

So this mini BA run is dedicated to the Flying one, ya dude, got the Variants. (thumbs u:sumo: Thanks for listing the 132 a few years back. :foryou:

th_DD13230c.jpgth_DD13330c.jpgth_DD13430c.jpgth_DD13530c.jpgth_DD13630c.jpg

th_DD14635c.jpgth_DD14735c.jpgth_DD14835c.jpg

Edited by jbud73

I've told this story a few times, but here is how I became a price variant collector.

Around 2004, maybe 2005 I finished a BA RAW run in High Grade and I posted the books here. Not too many of us on the boards then, we were pretty much on a first name basis, most ppl had run into each other in person and were friends ... or not lol. Anyway I post my run, greggy probably makes some comment about them not being 100 pagers, bronzebruce applauds, though secretly thinks those are 9.6 copies and I poop on those. No matter, it was a certain flying circular ChiTown transplanted to Maryland :censored: who uttered a very simple phrase, 'including the Variants?' It was like a splinter entered my mind, doh!:flamed::frustrated::pullhair::tonofbricks::censored:(tsk):censored::censored: Variants? Who gave a flying :censored: about the Variants? As the days went on, I did, that's who. The OCD comic geek in me went into over drive. My perfectly respectable Amazing Adventures run, an 11 in Raw 9.4/9.6 for :censored: sakes. And the Variants? It played over and over, NO I DIDN'T HAVE THE :censored: VARIANTS ....... YET. Anyway I got the Amazing Adventures Variants and a whole lot more.

So this mini BA run is dedicated to the Flying one, ya dude, got the Variants. (thumbs u:sumo: Thanks for listing the 132 a few years back. :foryou:

Great story!

Being an ASM completist myself, is what sent me down this long dark road

I posted this story over on the STL Comics boards years ago.

In 1977, as a young, penny-conscious comic collector, I was dismayed with the 5 cent price increase on Spectacular Spider-Man Issue #8. I was living in Georgia at the time, but my grandmother was in the hospital in Memphis, TN. I am sure that this is where this issue was bought, probably by my older brother. In buying the next issue in Georgia, I was relieved that the prices had came back down to 30 cents. It always struck me as odd at the time. It took me nearly 30 years later to figure out what it was all about.

There you go, young padawan.

Been looking for this one for a few years in 'not beat to :censored: condition' Happy to add one of the more difficult ones to the collection and off the list. :grin:

ChamberofChills2230c.jpg

Nice pick up. I placed a bid on this one but lost out to you. There is another on eBay right now but it doesn't look to be as nice as yours.

What makes some harder to find than others? Is it strictly a print run numbers thing or are there other factors? Has anyone ever put together separate top 10 lists for HTF 30'sand 35's?

The book on EBAY right now is owned by our very own Flying Donut (thumbs u had I not purchased this book last week (crazy no copies for public sale in like a year and two come up in same week - ah variant collecting) I would definitely be bidding on Donut's book.

In general the non-super hero titles with smaller print runs, are harder to find, which makes sense; less printed less to be found. So Westerns and Horror and Sci-Fi books are more difficult than Spider-Man, DD, Cap and Thor.

There is a scarcity index that was created on Stl Comics, in general its pretty solid. I don't know if anyone has done a top 10, I'd put Chamber of Chills 22 in the top 20.

2c

Great story.

The book on EBAY right now is owned by our very own Flying Donut (thumbs u had I not purchased this book last week (crazy no copies for public sale in like a year and two come up in same week - ah variant collecting) I would definitely be bidding on Donut's book.

In general the non-super hero titles with smaller print runs, are harder to find, which makes sense; less printed less to be found. So Westerns and Horror and Sci-Fi books are more difficult than Spider-Man, DD, Cap and Thor.

There is a scarcity index that was created on Stl Comics, in general its pretty solid. I don't know if anyone has done a top 10, I'd put Chamber of Chills 22 in the top 20.

2c

I haven't done the scarcity index in a long time, but - and this is off the top of my head, mind you - here you go:

By far the hardest to find:

1. Kid Colt 208

2. Weird Wonder Tales 15

Extremely difficult

3. Kid Colt 205

4. Kid Colt 206

5. Kid Colt 207

6. Kid Colt 209

7. Mighty Marvel Western 45

8. Rawhide Kid 133

9. Rawhide Kid 134

10. Ringo Kid 27

11. Ringo Kid 28

12. Two-Gun Kid 129

13. Two-Gun Kid 130

14. Two-Gun Kid 131

Show up but still rare

15. Chamber of Chills 22

16. Chamber of Chills 23

17. Jungle Action 22 <=== this is the first superhero book on the list

18. Jungle Action 23

19. Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos 133

20. Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos 134

21. Tomb of Darkness 20

22. Tomb of Darkness 21

23. Weird Wonder Tales 16

24. Weird Wonder Tales 17

25. Iron Man 89

A couple of quick notes. I have been looking for variants for 20 years in the wild (seriously!) and have never seen a Kid Colt 208. I bought mine as part of a buy from Fred McSurley in 2000. My Weird Wonder Tales 15 - which was the last one I needed for the set - came in a trade with departed board member Lighthouse in 2000.

In the wild, I've only seen one Weird Wonder Tales 15 - the one I sold on eBay for $810 last year - and only one Kid Colt 205, which I bought for a dollar in 1999 and have had ever since.

2c

I haven't done the scarcity index in a long time, but - and this is off the top of my head, mind you - here you go:

1. Kid Colt 208

2. Weird Wonder Tales 15

Extremely difficult

3. Kid Colt 205

4. Kid Colt 206

5. Kid Colt 207

6. Kid Colt 209

8. Rawhide Kid 133

9. Rawhide Kid 134

10. Ringo Kid 27

11. Ringo Kid 28

12. Two-Gun Kid 129

13. Two-Gun Kid 130

14. Two-Gun Kid 131

Show up but still rare

15. Chamber of Chills 22

16. Chamber of Chills 23

18. Jungle Action 23

21. Tomb of Darkness 20

22. Tomb of Darkness 21

25. Iron Man 89

A couple of quick notes. I have been looking for variants for 20 years in the wild (seriously!) and have never seen a Kid Colt 208. I bought mine as part of a buy from Fred McSurley in 2000. My Weird Wonder Tales 15 - which was the last one I needed for the set - came in a trade with departed board member Lighthouse in 2000.

In the wild, I've only seen one Weird Wonder Tales 15 - the one I sold on eBay for $810 last year - and only one Kid Colt 205, which I bought for a dollar in 1999 and have had ever since.

Here is my Kid-Colt 205, found in the Wild in San Jose. I thought we weren't supposed to talk about Price Variant Club :grin:

That list is pretty solid Dan, only been chasing the set for 12 years, so my padawan opinions might move some books around here or there; I happen to think MOKF 39 (I have a beater so if anyone has one lol) ahead of the Jungle Actions and Iron Man 89 (though IM 89 and DD 132 are the toughest A-list Super-Hero books) but again it might be a regional Maryland verses San Jose thing too.

On the top 2 - yep. I was the under bidder on that WWT15 that hammered for $810, but then bought my copy for less than 1/2 that this year on EBAY (probably one grade lower than the $810 book) it really comes down to timing, but if you are in there with someone else and its the last one they need, the rulz kinda might not apply lol

Kid-Colt20530c.jpg

2c

1. Kid Colt 208

2. Weird Wonder Tales 15

Extremely difficult

3. Kid Colt 205

4. Kid Colt 206

5. Kid Colt 207

6. Kid Colt 209

8. Rawhide Kid 133

9. Rawhide Kid 134

10. Ringo Kid 27

11. Ringo Kid 28

12. Two-Gun Kid 129

13. Two-Gun Kid 130

14. Two-Gun Kid 131

Show up but still rare

15. Chamber of Chills 22

16. Chamber of Chills 23

18. Jungle Action 23

21. Tomb of Darkness 20

22. Tomb of Darkness 21

25. Iron Man 89

Here is my Kid-Colt 205, found in the Wild in San Jose. I thought we weren't supposed to talk about Price Variant Club :grin:

That list is pretty solid Dan, only been chasing the set for 12 years, so my padawan opinions might move some books around here or there; I happen to think MOKF 39 (I have a beater so if anyone has one lol) ahead of the Jungle Actions and Iron Man 89 (though IM 89 and DD 132 are the toughest A-list Super-Hero books) but again it might be a regional Maryland verses San Jose thing too.

On the top 2 - yep. I was the under bidder on that WWT15 that hammered for $810, but then bought my copy for less than 1/2 that this year on EBAY (probably one grade lower than the $810 book) it really comes down to timing, but if you are in there with someone else and its the last one they need, the rulz kinda might not apply lol

Kid-Colt20530c.jpg

Thanks jbud73 and FlyingDonut for all of the information. I began as a spinner rack collector in the late 70's - early 80's when I was a kid and never really knew anything about price variants except for the Star Wars. I have had renewed interest in collecting the past few years and recently found a WWBN 39 variant in a small antique shop near where I live on the eastern shore of MD. I honestly didn't know what I was looking at. The price looked weird so I thought it was some sort of reprint. Had to return the next day to get it after I learned what it was. Now that's all I seem to be watching for on eBay. I didn't see any at Baltimore comic con but I didn't really ask around much. My nose was buried in Greg Reece's $2 long boxes most of that day! Thanks again. I really enjoy following this thread!

I wouldn't even look for them in Baltimore unless I slashed FDs tires first lol

On the Kid Colt 205, a little karma for all you sharks out there. I found this book with a dealer and it was marked around the rest of the variants, I was open about it and let him know it was probably work 4-5 times that and actually ended up paying that as he gave me a deal on the other variants.

Now whenever ones comes in I get a email, these were the last two he pinged me on. Probably no way I ever see them otherwise. So sometimes, even if its a dealer, working with them and being forthright gets you access to books that are pretty rare and they have a much higher probability of seeing than you do.

MvlAdv430c.jpg

RawhideKid13330c.jpg

My experience was pretty different. I found my Kid Colt 205 among my first 80-90 variants for 2 dollars and if I remember correctly I found my WWT 15 at around the mid-point of my journey also for 2 bucks. The hunt is completely idiosyncratic when you get to the hardest 30 or so. I'm not sure, but I believe my last two were Sgt Fury 133 and MTA 29

Edited by underthebigw

I wouldn't even look for them in Baltimore unless I slashed FDs tires first lol

On the Kid Colt 205, a little karma for all you sharks out there. I found this book with a dealer and it was marked around the rest of the variants, I was open about it and let him know it was probably work 4-5 times that and actually ended up paying that as he gave me a deal on the other variants.

Now whenever ones comes in I get a email, these were the last two he pinged me on. Probably no way I ever see them otherwise. So sometimes, even if its a dealer, working with them and being forthright gets you access to books that are pretty rare and they have a much higher probability of seeing than you do.

MvlAdv430c.jpg

RawhideKid13330c.jpg

Good advice that I mostly agree with. I just don't think it's sharky to pay ask from a dealer on a book like that. Grandma at the yard sale yes, dealer priced book, nah.

That said, you certainly went above and beyond, and earned credibility and respect that helped you back in the long run, which is always good.