• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP - Will Eisner "The Spirit" piece done for 1997 San Diego Comic Con

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need help with the following - I got this piece from one of the latest "ComicConnect" auctions.

6fba9196a5e0d527a1ce255ec53581b1_mvf6.png

It was advertised as :

" Anyone who's ever experienced the mindboggling nerdvana that is San Diego ComicCon will surely recognize the truth behind this

amusing image in which our hero finds that there is nothing more scary than a funk of nerds in latex and spandex.

Except maybe Silk Satin, she's pretty intimidating. At any rate, this hilarious piece was created for the program of the 1997 SDCC and is a prime example of Eisner's charm and ebullient humor."

With the above shown description I was under the impression it was used for the official San Diego Comic Con Program (see scan below). When I got my hands on one of the official guides, I noticed that the piece was not part of the book.

e257a7843e06462eb5c5adb210ec4e23_51b3.jpg

So I reached out to the folks at Comic Connect to see if they can help me identify the piece.

They have been helpful and also reached out to the "consigner", but no luck so far in figuring out where this piece was used.

So I decided to bring this up in this forum to see if anyone can help here.

This piece is so awesome that I really want to see where it was used.

Please have a look and maybe we can figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I know I've seen this piece before, but I've been wracking my brain and can't recall where. It was at least a few years ago, if not more. I don't know if it was an auction or in a collection of Eisner's work. I looked at my Spirit Archives, but I don't see it there.

If I recall where it was I saw it, I'll let you know.

(Wow, this post was a complete waste of space, wasn't it? lol )

just got my copy of this booklet...and unfortunately the piece was not in there.

so i guess the hunt is still on..

I think there's a good chance it was published in the 1997 issue of Comic-Con International San Diego Update:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=21061393

The description notes some sort of inclusion of Eisner.

I hope this helps.

UPDATE (or NOT) :

As you guys know, I own this piece by Will Eisner. Apparently it was used for the San Diego Comic Con 1997.

6fba9196a5e0d527a1ce255ec53581b1_mvf6.png

Here is what I found out.

Apparently it was used for the San Diego Comic Book Expo.

This expo was held usually prior to the San Diego Comic Con.

I have reached out over 50 Comic Shops in San Diego to see if anyone remembers or even has a copy. Some promising messages back, but so far nobody found the actual copy.

I also reached out to the officials of the San Diego Comic Con to see if anyone might have kept a copy. No response back, which in a way I can understand. They are putting another huge show together.

I also sent Denis Kitchen an E-Mail through his website. He has a lot of Eisner material and knowledge, but unfortunately did not hear back from him.

Another member recommended to reach out to Jackie Estrada she handled all PR and communications in general for the SDCC back in the days.

This was done, and she confirmed that the piece indeed was used for the San Diego Comic Book Expo, and was even published in color.

So I was with the help of you guys on the right track, but somehow I got to a standstill.

That is the reason why I post again. It would be so wonderful to find out where and exactly how the piece was used. Maybe someone knows Denis Kitchen and could ask him, etc.

I also followed up with the seller of the piece to see if they have any idea.

They came up with a name who knows a ton about this stuff.

"Bob Beerbohm", does anybody know him? I sent him an email as well, but also no response.

Thanks for all of your help,

Andy