• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman and Detective Show Us Yours!
14 14

2,400 posts in this topic

Batman and Superman was what I reading early 1960s so natural to try and snag them when I could , have one more box somewhere with a few of the missing numbers still missing 18 and 25 a a few others keeps me young trying to track down the ones I’ve never had 

On 7/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, Drgoldage said:

Great book like the cover with its great background and The Team concept where Batman and Robin nab there man rather than where Batman has to save Robin . 

Nice observation!

On 7/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, Robot Man said:

The first one on the “Paul” collection was actually Ed Robertson out of AZ. He got most of the All Star, Detective and Batman (including a low grade #1) and a bunch of non key PCH.

I met Joe and Bonnie (the buyers of the collection), at a local toy show. He had two magazine boxes of GA and tons of other later comics, fanzines, sci fi books ect on their table. I went through them and probably bought almost a box full. I then told my friend Jim Malley, the show promoter and he bought a ton of stuff as well. Very little competition since most people were toy people.

It took a month or so to get to see more until they felt comfortable with me. They felt that Ed had taken advantage of them so they cut him off. They finally came to me with about 4 more boxes. I remember buying a bunch of MLJ, Centaurs and Nedors including a very nice Exciting 39.

Eventually, he had me over to his place after he pulled out about 4 boxes of GA out of Paul’s jumbled boxes. This went on for about 6 months. Jim bought mostly DC and Fawcett and I went for the rest.

Sadly, Joe passed away a couple years ago. He was a great guy and we became good friends. I really miss those trips and the suprises that turned up in those boxes.

One of the best collections I have ever seen turn up in the LA area. And a very well kept secret…

It took a month or so to get to see more until they felt comfortable with me. They felt that Ed had taken advantage of them so they cut him off. 

A friend alerted me to this post. Here is what I will say:

Tom and Bonnie were great to work with on the day I visited. I saw on eBay that they had been selling some nice books thanks to a tip from a mutual friend. Included in their sales was All-American 16,

We agreed to a tentative deal where I would pay 70% of OPG and would bring  $50,000. Tom indicated he would put together two long boxes for that amount. When I arrived with a friend, Mark and saw that the boxes were not worth near that amount, I indicated I would not be doing the deal. Bonnie asked why and I told her the books were either overgraded or overpriced. I pulled out a good book (FF 48 I believe) and said this is the price you probably valued it at. Bonnie was very surprised that my guess was on the money.

She asked me how we could do the deal to which I replied that it would be very time-consuming but we would have to grade the 70% books one by one; assign a grade (which we each did independently); then calculate the price based on that grade. She agreed to do the proposal so I pulled out all the books from the two boxes that I would pay 70% on and we did just that for all the Batman and Detectives as well as other key SA and GA books.

It was obvious that that total would not be close to the $50,000 so Tom indicated they had other books (in stacks and boxes in the room). Tom and Mark started counting PCH books- total of 315. Tom pulled a few out and pointed out they were worth around $100, but he wanted to sell the group and indicated a price of $5 per book. I proposed we round it to $1500 and he agreed. I did not go through the box except for what he showed me.

Once Bonnie and I finished the first two boxes, we then started on a stack of All-Star Comics and some other random books, again, book by book. While we were grading these, Tom disappeared and returned with a group of books that he spread out on the table. Batman 1-3,5-12 (either 10,11,or 12). He indicated they were for sale so Bonnie and I graded and priced those separately. I believe they came to $14,000 at 70%.

After we added up everything, it came to $47,000. We had spent around 8 hours doing all of this. They seemed happy with no hesitancy to finalizing the deal.

I have worked very hard to earn a positive reputation in this hobby. I routinely pay more than asked and sell for less than I am offered by buyers. They had been selling expensive books for a while, we reached agreement on every book Bonnie and I graded together and set prices on some of the books. I do not appreciate the aspersions in this post. We have met and even sold next to each other at Terry's show but I am not aware of any reason why you felt it necessary to include my name in the post. Frankly, you could have left my name out and still made your point.