• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman and Detective Show Us Yours!
14 14

2,400 posts in this topic

Thanks really went after the joker covers first , but really liked them all posted what I could find have an earlier batch will try and post tomorrow ! Not the impact of a Batman 1 Det 29 det 31 or det 35 you posted earlier and I’ve never seen an Australian copy that’s rare !

On 7/2/2023 at 12:06 AM, Drgoldage said:

Thanks really went after the joker covers first , but really liked them all posted what I could find have an earlier batch will try and post tomorrow ! Not the impact of a Batman 1 Det 29 det 31 or det 35 you posted earlier and I’ve never seen an Australian copy that’s rare !

Thanks!!! Yeah, I think that's the only copy of it I've ever seen. Here's another rare example of that same issue. This time a Swedish Edition! One of the reasons that I love these foreign editions is that they frequently make artistic changes which make them a bit more unique. In THIS case, Two-Face kind of becomes One-Face as they redraw the damaged part of his face!!! 

Batman 68 Swedish front.jpg

On 7/1/2023 at 11:02 PM, Drgoldage said:

image.jpg

I have a Swedish Edition of this issue as well, which I had certified a number of years ago. As you can see, they made some changes and added a base at the bottom area of the totem pole and eliminated the shadow from the pole. Kinda cool. I really dig the Joker covers!!! 

Batman 66 Swedish front.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 7/2/2023 at 10:19 AM, Robot Man said:

The first one on the “Paul” collection was actually Ed Robertson out of AZ. He got most of the All Star, Detective and Batman (including a low grade #1) and a bunch of non key PCH.

I met Joe and Bonnie (the buyers of the collection), at a local toy show. He had two magazine boxes of GA and tons of other later comics, fanzines, sci fi books ect on their table. I went through them and probably bought almost a box full. I then told my friend Jim Malley, the show promoter and he bought a ton of stuff as well. Very little competition since most people were toy people.

It took a month or so to get to see more until they felt comfortable with me. They felt that Ed had taken advantage of them so they cut him off. They finally came to me with about 4 more boxes. I remember buying a bunch of MLJ, Centaurs and Nedors including a very nice Exciting 39.

Eventually, he had me over to his place after he pulled out about 4 boxes of GA out of Paul’s jumbled boxes. This went on for about 6 months. Jim bought mostly DC and Fawcett and I went for the rest.

Sadly, Joe passed away a couple years ago. He was a great guy and we became good friends. I really miss those trips and the suprises that turned up in those boxes.

One of the best collections I have ever seen turn up in the LA area. And a very well kept secret…

WOW, what a fantastic story!!! Those are the breaks a guy hopes for! Nice people, ultra cool books at fair prices ... just an all around win win situation!!! (thumbsu

On 7/2/2023 at 6:18 AM, Gotham Kid said:

this group shot didn't get the ooohhs and aaahhhhs it rightfully deserved, so here goes.

Agreed!!! I was surprised it didn't get more applause. Maybe people are out celebrating the 4th already and are away from their electronics. Truly a group shot worthy of major league attention!!!  (worship)