• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman and Detective Show Us Yours!
14 14

2,400 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2023 at 9:31 PM, D84 said:

And another 3 added to the collection.

DetectiveComics37.thumb.jpg.63cfda647ebe2322f09f97fded636c03.jpg

DetectiveComics78.thumb.jpg.e155a211c00919e03870dab897d1af7e.jpg

DetectiveComics80.thumb.jpg.7d66ee9ea2a528d4f9a8b55efd9aecd5.jpg

Nice haul! I have yet to ever get #80. Joker seems to always get all the love but I have always really liked Two-Face. Such a bizzare and tragic villian. The concept and suspense of the coin flip just sucks me in. 

On 6/27/2023 at 7:03 PM, Robot Man said:

Was looking at my GA Batman today. As I was doing so,I drifted back to one of the nicer collections I ever found.

MANY years ago, A guy I know out at the junk shows told me one day that a guy brought in a box of old comics he found stored out in the garage to his dad's antique store. So I drove over. A full paper box full of Atomic Age books from around 1947-1956. All titles, genres and publishers. We agreed on a price and I took them home. A couple of weeks later the guy came in with another box. This went on every couple of weeks for 2 or 3 months then eventually he disappeared. Some amazing books just all random. The best ones were maybe fine+ and they ranged down to some that were even rat chewed a bit to a lot on the corners. I really looked forward to those calls because you never knew what would be in the box. I ended up with around a thousand books. Here are some of the Batman.

combatman50.jpg

combatman55.jpg

combatman56.jpg

combatman58.jpg

combatman61.jpg

combatman62.jpg

combatman68.jpg

combatman69.jpg

combatman73.jpg

What a fantastic story!!! Congratulations!!! An absolute DREAM come true!!! I hope I have one of those stories still ahead in my lifetime!  :wishluck:

On 6/30/2023 at 11:20 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I DO have a cool story about an original owner find that came thru a local shop a few years ago. I swung in randomly one day and in talking to the manager, he informed me of a Golden Age collection he was set to view the next day. We agreed to stay in touch. Leaving the parking lot, I phone my buddy, pretty excited about the prospect and offer a "might wanna get some cash together." Low and behold, the next day I find out the collection was purchased. This was Saturday afternoon, and in talking with him, he read off some titles and issue numbers in the collection to me. I heard an issue number I'd been looking for and he said he'd have the books at the shop nearest my place on Monday and that nobody else would see the books before me. Something inside me said not to take the gamble and I had him leave the book at the store location he was currently at (he graded and priced it for me and left it under the counter with my name on it) and that I'd swing over and grab it right then. He said that'd be fine because he was leaving and taking the rest of the books home to finish grading and pricing over the weekend. I thank him for leaving the book for me and tell him my buddy and I will be see him after work on Monday. I IMMEDIATELY leave my house and drive to the shop holding the book for me!!! Understand, this is a book I'd been wanting for quite a while and was having NO luck obtaining! I get the book, count pages, have him ring it up and off I go!!! I phone my buddy, saying that I felt odd being more aggressive than I'd normally be, but I got the book, and all is cool. I read off the list of books in the collection to him. Early DCs o'plenty!!! Superman 6, 8, 10, 14, etc... Batman 6,7, etc... Actions, Detectives, Sensations, World's Finest, MLJ & other humor, Fawcett & other superhero, etc. It's hard to remember it all now, 3 - 4 years or so ago. We make some tentative plans ... I'll get the Bat 6, he'll get the Bat 7 and so on. Well, we meet there on Monday after work (I beat him by 15 minutes) and come to find out a store employee leaked word of the collection to another collector, who came in and cherry picked as much as he could afford!!! Gone were the Supe 6, 8 & 14, the Bat 7 and a number of other very desirable issues!!! The manager friend apologized about the leaked info, but there's just not much to say about that, I mean they ARE in business to sell comics, so my buddy and I picked over what was left. I let him get the Bat 6 and I got the Supe 10. I actually backed off and let my buddy go wild buying, as he had an eye for selling some to help fund the purchase, and I DID get that initial comic from that Saturday phone call, which I NOW felt that I did the right thing or THAT would've been scarfed up by the cherry picker dude!!! The Saturday comic purchase is below, and I decided to get it certified. I also took a quick pic of my haul that Monday evening, which is also below. I DID end up selling the MLJ humor books and I think I sold the Sensation too, but I still have all the rest of the comics in the photo. A comic safari we'll never forget!!!  :banana:

Detective Comics 69 best.JPG

batch full.jpg

Wow great story! Sometimes you have to be satisfied with what you are lucky enough to get and not what you missed. That Detective 69 is a killer book and in my opinion, trumps the others that will be easier to find.

I am very lucky to be able to buy several collections in my lifetime. The best few luckily came out a little at a time and I was able to scrape up cash over a short period of time.

The “Paul” collection was like that. The comics were buried in no order in boxes of fanzines, girly books, pulps and sci fi books. Every time the buyer found some he would save up a box for me. I had to be choosy what I bought so I sadly passed on a lot of DCs in favor of MLJ, Nedor, Centaur, Ace and other obscure publishers. I never even looked at the SA, BA or the pulps. Along with the above mentioned garage collection, the “Paul” collection was the best one I’ve found. Had to keep my mouth shut until he was done. Last to come out were the ECs which the buyer of the collection liked the most. Again, I mostly bought the best ones.

Collecting books like this has always been pretty competitive. I have learned to be friendly, and pay fair. Keep my emotions and excitement under control. And yes, a bit aggressive in a civilized manner.

Hopefully, another nice collection will come our way…

On 6/27/2023 at 8:03 PM, Robot Man said:

I drifted back to one of the nicer collections I ever found

On 7/1/2023 at 2:20 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I DO have a cool story about an original owner find

Awesome. Keep the stories coming. This thread is like Forum magazine for fanboys. 

On 7/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow great story! Sometimes you have to be satisfied with what you are lucky enough to get and not what you missed. That Detective 69 is a killer book and in my opinion, trumps the others that will be easier to find.

I am very lucky to be able to buy several collections in my lifetime. The best few luckily came out a little at a time and I was able to scrape up cash over a short period of time.

The “Paul” collection was like that. The comics were buried in no order in boxes of fanzines, girly books, pulps and sci fi books. Every time the buyer found some he would save up a box for me. I had to be choosy what I bought so I sadly passed on a lot of DCs in favor of MLJ, Nedor, Centaur, Ace and other obscure publishers. I never even looked at the SA, BA or the pulps. Along with the above mentioned garage collection, the “Paul” collection was the best one I’ve found. Had to keep my mouth shut until he was done. Last to come out were the ECs which the buyer of the collection liked the most. Again, I mostly bought the best ones.

Collecting books like this has always been pretty competitive. I have learned to be friendly, and pay fair. Keep my emotions and excitement under control. And yes, a bit aggressive in a civilized manner.

Hopefully, another nice collection will come our way…

Thanks!!! Make no mistake RM, I'm VERY happy with what I got and hope I didn't come off as being ungrateful for the additions to my collection, as I was conveying the details of the story. I was just trying to paint the full picture and the part that was missed out on was a big part of that story.

Wow, YOU got the "Paul" collection??? I had no idea, but I HAVE seen several of the books, posted here and around the hobby! You're spot on about us needing to stay quiet about collections as they are unveiling themselves to us, unless we want to get weaseled out of the mix! With one exception for me, is my buddy of almost 30 years! I do my best to include him in on the fun, unless I can't, like I'm somewhere and it's going down right then and there, and he isn't around. It's more fun when everyone gets some books!  (thumbsu