• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the essence of cool?

134 posts in this topic

"Hey that's a cool book" is an oft used phrase around these parts, often about books that are relatively obscure and/or scarce. "Cool" often seems to bypass grade and monetary value....

Hre's a recent acquisition from Mr Bedrock, which I'd say now becomes the coolest book I own:

dynamic8f.jpg

..and why is it cool in my book - and I suspect many others as well? Well, it's very scarce for one thing - we all know that. Black cover, unique imagery for it's time, and powerfully expressive, like Expressionist Cinema.

So, what are the coolest books in your collection would you say, and what makes them cool?

To me cool books need to have some sort of energy or chemistry to them...a story, cover or a story behind the book that makes it stand out and tower above all others around it. Something that can't be duplicated by just paying a journeyman to accomplish, much like a good musical tune.

I nominate this book. Nothing really special about it as far as value goes but I've always found the cover scene with that train mysteriously rising and the dark, menacing costumed figure saving the fair haired damsel to have a surreal quality to it. I can only image what it did to kids on the newsstand in the 1940's. Combine that with the nostalgia of the Fair in the background and the loose fitting tights on the hero of the late 1930's/early 1940's and you have a magical combination.

AmazingMysteryFunnies.jpg

To me cool books need to have some sort of energy or chemistry to them...a story, cover or a story behind the book that makes it stand out and tower above all others around it. Something that can't be duplicated by just paying a journeyman to accomplish, much like a good musical tune.

I nominate this book. Nothing really special about it as far as value goes but I've always found the cover scene with that train mysteriously rising and the dark, menacing costumed figure saving the fair haired damsel to have a surreal quality to it. I can only image what it did to kids on the newsstand in the 1940's. Combine that with the nostalgia of the Fair in the background and the loose fitting tights on the hero of the late 1930's/early 1940's and you have a magical combination.

Totally agree - that has been near the top of my wants list ever since I saw Mr Bedrock's superlative copy. Surreal is a precise description - dreamlike is another. If you ever upgrade please let me know!

I've always thought this one was "cool" and when I shared it in the funny animal thread at least one other board member agreed.

scan553.jpg [/quote

Cool :grin:

Totally agree - that has been near the top of my wants list ever since I saw Mr Bedrock's superlative copy. Surreal is a precise description - dreamlike is another. If you ever upgrade please let me know!

Bedrock's copy is what hooked me too.

Bought this from sacentaur a few years ago here on the boards. It's only a very low grade copy but I wasn't planing on letting it go.

You need to move over here!

:baiting:

This is one of the coolest covers I have. This book was given away by the US government during WW2. By the way alana, that book you have is way cool. I have been looking for that for a long time!

divide001.jpg

1) Very tough to find in high grade.

2) When Larson was shown a scan of the cover, he remembered owning it.

3) Early Schomburg! Love the composition of the cover, and the choice of colors.

4) Doc Strange decking a Nazi in a foxhole. What's cooler than that?

thrilling11.jpg

At the risk of over-exposing this book... I think it applies here. The absurdity of the cover, the nature of comic books at this time, and the WW2 historical context genuinely speak volumes. Gotta be my favorite comic.

TerryToons7.jpg

I've always thought this one was "cool" and when I shared it in the funny animal thread at least one other board member agreed.

scan553.jpg

Yessir, that is very cool.

I've always been a sucker for sci-fi covers and characters. I also love the use of purple and green in contrast (see our store logo). Ray guns and monsters work. Mix all that up and it equals COOL...

larsofmars11.jpg

My coolest book? Umm... Dynamic 8? :sorry:

We demand you show us! :sumo: (bet it's a nice one)

It's missing a page, but still my the coolest book I own. And I wish I had yours, too, Alanna! Nice copy... you're fortunate to find one.

dynamic8.jpg