• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the essence of cool?

134 posts in this topic

I think Alex Toth is the epitome of the 50s cool artists.

I agree. I still remember seeing this book in person in Baltimore a few years ago and it was mesmerizing. Love the way those bullets were drawn and coloured. Pure genius.

BaltimoreComicCon2009096.jpg

Since you've already seen that one, here's another that is a bit more subtle but, to my eyes, equally cool.

BigTown12.jpg

P2110381.jpg

I think this one is cool. It's the last Katy Keene comic that began in the 1950s and ended with this issue. The cover is a homage to the classic Sci-Fi movie "Forbidden Planet" poster. Believe it or not, this copy is tied for the highest

graded.

P2110381.jpg

I think this one is cool. It's the last Katy Keene comic that began in the 1950s and ended with this issue. The cover is a homage to the classic Sci-Fi movie "Forbidden Planet" poster. Believe it or not, this copy is tied for the highest

graded.

Very cool book :applause:

A celebration of utter coolness (with a big thanks to Theagenes who has done it every day for months) focusing on the 100th anniversary of ERB’s John Carter of Mars, featuring perhaps the greatest front-/-back cover pairing ever with St J and Frank R in full glory mode… (3/41)

img2110.jpg

img2120.jpg

A celebration of utter coolness (with a big thanks to Theagenes who has done it every day for months) focusing on the 100th anniversary of ERB’s John Carter of Mars, featuring perhaps the greatest front-/-back cover pairing ever with St J and Frank R in full glory mode… (3/41)

img2110.jpg

img2120.jpg

St. John's John Carter covers were definitely the very essence of cool!

AmazingStoriesv15n031941-031.jpgAmazingStoriesv15n061941-061.jpg

and his Carson Napier covers weren't bad either!

FantasticAdventuresv04n031942-03.jpg

P2110381.jpg

Love it!

Thanks Richard and "ciorac". Looks much better in hand as well. Thanks for the generous comment! I had been looking for this book for a long time and jumped on it when a board member offered it for sale in the sales forums. Fair price, too for such a hard-to-find book.

Cowboys, Science Fiction and Nazis.

Doesn't get any cooler. I do not have a copy of this book ( :baiting:), the scan came from Hepcat, with suitable appreciation:

SpaceWestern44.jpg

I wonder if that might not be an Okajima.

Not that I've heard.

(shrug)