• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING MAN 5 - Value?

33 posts in this topic

I have an Amazing Man 5 CGC 4.5 - any ideas on what the ballpark value is? The closest GPA has is 1 sale of a 3.5 at $4600.

Little known fact: It is actually the first newsstand appearance of a Marvel superhero (same compay as Timely), published before Marvel comics #1

Don't know the market for it but I would guess it's undervalued because a lot of people don't know about it. The story and art are very cool in that issue, and it's one of the better origin stories, having a lot in common with the revamped Batman origin that Chris Nolan did. Gotta love the scene where he's supposed to hold still while they throw knives into his chest

I have an Amazing Man 5 CGC 4.5 - any ideas on what the ballpark value is? The closest GPA has is 1 sale of a 3.5 at $4600.

Little known fact: It is actually the first newsstand appearance of a Marvel superhero (same compay as Timely), published before Marvel comics #1

Incorrect

Actually, technically, it is a Centaur publication, not Timely (Marvel). Though I'm assuming your referring to Marvel using him in 2008 as "Prince of Orphans." You could stretch it and argue his is the first Timely hero, but really he is Centaur, and ultimately technically not a Marvel character (until 2008 when they used him first)

Actually, technically, it is a Centaur publication, not Timely (Marvel). Though I'm assuming your referring to Marvel using him in 2008 as "Prince of Orphans." You could stretch it and argue his is the first Timely hero, but really he is Centaur, and ultimately technically not a Marvel character (until 2008 when they used him first)

Bat-Man - any idea at the value of an AMan 5 in CGC Blue 4.5? Just a ballpark guess...

Bat-Man - any idea at the value of an AMan 5 in CGC Blue 4.5? Just a ballpark guess...

I'm not an expert in Centaur, but I would estimate a floor of 6K. But depending on the market you can get more. (thumbs u

I'm not an expert in Centaur, but I would estimate a floor of 6K. But depending on the market you can get more. (thumbs u

Me likey!

BTW - I just read that Marvel did not "buy" or directly evolve from Centaur, but rather hired a group of personnel that had broken away from Centaur AFTER Amazing Man was published.

I think, depending on presentation, pq, etc...it is a 4-4500 book...maybe 5K, but there have been a lot of aman 5's lately, so supply has satisfied some demand, and thus, I think the price is actually a bit weaker....

the BW copy got 14K+ for a 7.5 (I would have said 20K in a strong centaur aman 5 market)

Me likey!

BTW - I just read that Marvel did not "buy" or directly evolve from Centaur, but rather hired a group of personnel that had broken away from Centaur AFTER Amazing Man was published.

Lloyd Jacquet started a comic shop that hosted Everett, Burgos, Thompson etc. He packaged it for Joe Hardie and "Centaur" as of March 1938

Packaged for Timely also and publisher Goodman brought these Lloyd artists inside . So it is by the ARTISTS that it is related. I started to collect Centaurs because of this pre-Timely connection

Also little known fact.....First superhero to debut in his own title.

Also if I were a betting man, it starts with #5 continuing from Western Picture Stories 1-4.....just a thought....jb

I think, depending on presentation, pq, etc...it is a 4-4500 book...maybe 5K, but there have been a lot of aman 5's lately, so supply has satisfied some demand, and thus, I think the price is actually a bit weaker....

the BW copy got 14K+ for a 7.5 (I would have said 20K in a strong centaur aman 5 market)

I trust your opinion Gator, but a 3.5 got $4600 in 2011... have the additional copies surfaced since then? (BTW, PQ is Cr/OW)

I trust your opinion Gator, but a 3.5 got $4600 in 2011... have the additional copies surfaced since then? (BTW, PQ is Cr/OW)

I was unaware of the 3.5 sale. I bought that copy (ow or better pq if I recall) several years ago for 3888 and sold it for about that. However, as we have seen with "rare" centaurs a 3.5 is not relly that different in value from a 4.5. So I stick with my 4-5k est (thumbs u

I was unaware of the 3.5 sale. I bought that copy (ow or better pq if I recall) several years ago for 3888 and sold it for about that. However, as we have seen with "rare" centaurs a 3.5 is not relly that different in value from a 4.5. So I stick with my 4-5k est (thumbs u

I nod to Rick, he knows the market, listen to him. (thumbs u

I'm fully with Gator on this one - this book is *not* rare (contrary to what the Guide says) and I would have expected the Billy Wright pedigree copy to sell for more (but it didn't).

And it's not the first appearance of a Marvel (Timely), sorry bluechip.

I should have bought Gator's 3.5 when I had a chance - it had great PQ and was priced right. :P

Having said that, it's a great book and you should be proud to have a copy (especially a blue label; the book is more common in restored grade). :applause:

I'm fully with Gator on this one - this book is *not* rare (contrary to what the Guide says) and I would have expected the Billy Wright pedigree copy to sell for more (but it didn't).

I should have bought Gator's 3.5 when I had a chance - it had great PQ and was priced right. :P

Having said that, it's a great book and you should be proud to have a copy (especially a blue label; the book is more common in restored grade). :applause:

I hear what you guys are saying, but there's only 14 blue AMan 5's in the census, as compared to 34 Action 1's - seems fairly rare to me!...

Since you know centaurs better than I know most things in life, I will bow to your assessment.

But I steadfastly main that Amazing 5 is the first (and best) man-bite-snake cover.

I hear what you guys are saying, but there's only 14 blue AMan 5's in the census, as compared to 34 Action 1's - seems fairly rare to me!...

Not rare for a centaur...most Centaurs have 3 or less on the census...some have none....

edit..many have none...haa

Actually I bought Gators 3.5 almost 2 years ago and still have it. He gave me a very fair price on it. another 3.5 surfaced and sold for $4600 on comicconnect. personally I think my 3.5 presents a little better (same pq) and it doesn't have tape. take a look:

Mine:

2UYY2CADGNF5JCAZXV5VNCA3DKZM8CA35R6.jpg

$4600 comicconnect sale:

ama3115a1.jpg

And I thought the BW copy was gonna reach atleast 16k, it is a fantastic copy.