• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what are registry sets all about?

54 posts in this topic

And how do they work?

I'm assuming you amass the most complete and high grade collection of a given series as possible, and then upload the CGC serial numbers into their data base. Then they will rank the collections based on completeness and grade, is that basically it?

Is there any benefit to having a registry, or is it just cool guy points?

I'm thinking about working toward a Ninja Turtles registry.

You get points for individual issues and they total them up for you to give you a ranking.

I got caught up in it, it's really just to show off, I would say, but it also acts as an online checklist so you know what you have. It came in handy for me many times for that reason.

Andy

This thread could have potential. Keep it educational, but I whole-heartedly welcome arguments over who's got the better set

I look at it as a way to show off your favorite title in a very professional manner of descriptions and pictures for possible future readers. Having a well-maintained Registry Set could be looked at as research tool. :)

Jerel, one of the Best Presented Registry Set Winners from 2011.

I look at it as a way to show off your favorite title in a very professional manner of descriptions and pictures for possible future readers. Having a well-maintained Registry Set could be looked at as research tool. :)

Jerel, one of the Best Presented Registry Set Winners from 2011.

:applause:

So, ultimately, which is the bigger swingin' dik?

1) Completeness/grade of slabbed books (Registry Points)

2) Monetary valuation of total collection including slabbed and raw books (Investment $)

So, ultimately, which is the bigger swingin' set?

2) Monetary valuation of total collection including slabbed and raw books (Investment $)

Neither. It's how you shape your set from your own self. The books in plastic prisons don't win the awards. Collectors even presenting the most unknown sets from the heart (high-grades, #1 Set in Type rankings, are no match) can win the audience and awards. Everytime. :preach:

Neither. It's how you shape your set from your own self. The books in plastic prisons don't win the awards. Collectors even presenting the most unknown sets from the heart (high-grades, #1 Set in Type rankings, are no match) can win the audience and awards. Everytime. :preach:

How do you define "shaping" and "from the heart"?

Is this theme? Or something else?

I dunno, I guess I'm on a Kelly Clarkson kick or something? lol

Read my set's description from last year in the 2011 Awards Thread (I broke the set up last year due to a few factors). I dedicated it to my late father (who loved 50's horror funnybooks) and described how collecting comics in my youth shaped my focus in adulthood.

Jerel is referring to registry sets where folks didn't just collect a whole bunch of books and sit back like, "Check me out - I'm bad!" Not only were great examples tracked down, but also research put into each book to summarize the content, significance, any special notes like fun facts (e.g. someone submitting a letter as a kid that later became a comic creator themself).

Those saying it is just about being the longest "swinger" missed the fun of promoting the titles you loved. There's more to the registry than that if you have the time and motivation.

Jerel is referring to registry sets where folks didn't just collect a whole bunch of books and sit back like, "Check me out - I'm bad!" Not only were great examples tracked down, but also research put into each book to summarize the content, significance, any special notes like fun facts (e.g. someone submitting a letter as a kid that later became a comic creator themself).

Those saying it is just about being the longest "swinger" missed the fun of promoting the titles you loved. There's more to the registry than that if you have the time and motivation.

I see.