• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what are registry sets all about?

54 posts in this topic

Here's an example where I was promoting Xenozoic Tales. Some like to tell the entire story in their registry set, but I took the approach of quick summaries of the books and their content. I wanted to give reviewers just enough to want to find out more for themselves.

sig.jpg

Once the rest of my books are out of storage, I'll finish up this content and leave this out there for folks to read and hopefully find interest in such a great series. But any of these books (other than Death Rattle 8) can be tracked down in 9.8 with the right time and money.

And how do they work?

I'm assuming you amass the most complete and high grade collection of a given series as possible, and then upload the CGC serial numbers into their data base. Then they will rank the collections based on completeness and grade, is that basically it?

Is there any benefit to having a registry, or is it just cool guy points?

I'm thinking about working toward a Ninja Turtles registry.

Addiction!

Once you start it's hard to stop.

I look at it as a way to show off your favorite title in a very professional manner of descriptions and pictures for possible future readers. Having a well-maintained Registry Set could be looked at as research tool. :)

Jerel, one of the Best Presented Registry Set Winners from 2011.

(worship)

I wish your set was still up. :(

I'm hoping to complete my YTLM and then complete pics, descriptions and my thoughts. I also plan to do it for Chew although the series is still ongoing.

And how do they work?

I'm assuming you amass the most complete and high grade collection of a given series as possible, and then upload the CGC serial numbers into their data base. Then they will rank the collections based on completeness and grade, is that basically it?

Is there any benefit to having a registry, or is it just cool guy points?

I'm thinking about working toward a Ninja Turtles registry.

I'm not sure anyone really gave you an answer to this. The Registry was set up by CGC as a bit of a marketing gimmick. They assign a point value to a book based on its price, popularity, and grade. The higher the grade, the more points the book is worth. The more valuable and popular the book, the more it is worth. Uncanny X-men books are usually more valuable than Captain America books from the same time.

CGC set up sets for popular titles where you could enter the serial number for the graded books you own. Each year, they award a certificate to the set/person whose books are worth the most points for a given title. They also select three sets from each age period and award them plaques for being the best of the best.

CGC also awards one plaque for each age based on what they believe is the best presentation, usually dealing with scans or photos plus descriptions.

Some folks see the registry as a contest as to who has the biggest and never miss a chance to heap ridicule on anyone who participates.

Some folks use it to track their collections since it is available online from your phone.

Some people like to show off what they have.

Some folks are very competitive and want the best set.

Some folks use it to find people who might be interested in buying or selling a book that may or may not be in their collection.

If you are a completist like me, it might give you motivation to find a book to complete a long run.

Some folks use it to make contact with people who have similar interests in collecting. That's how I met up with Doc Joe, who I think is a great guy and a great collector.

Most folks just pay it absolutely no attention whatsoever.

I look at it as a way to show off your favorite title in a very professional manner of descriptions and pictures for possible future readers. Having a well-maintained Registry Set could be looked at as research tool. :)

Jerel, one of the Best Presented Registry Set Winners from 2011.

(worship)

I wish your set was still up. :(

I'm hoping to complete my YTLM and then complete pics, descriptions and my thoughts. I also plan to do it for Chew although the series is still ongoing.

Looking forward to seeing them complete. :popcorn:

I'm not sure anyone really gave you an answer to this.

Thank you! Too much smart arse and no info in this thread. Very nice explanation.

Aside from individual titles I love the fact that the registry has various "collections" such as the Marvel/DC #1s, Atlas-Seaboard, etc. I use the registry almost as much as I use comics.org.

Thanks, Cheetah.

What's making me consider working on a Ninja Turtles registry is simply to give my new found hobby focus. A goal, if you will.

Kind of like completing a coin album.

That is a great analogy! There are some very dedicated collectors who take the time to scan their books, write synopsis, list pertinent information,etc. The registry is much more than weenie swinging.

Thanks, Cheetah.

What's making me consider working on a Ninja Turtles registry is simply to give my new found hobby focus. A goal, if you will.

That is a great analogy! There are some very dedicated collectors who take the time to scan their books, write synopsis, list pertinent information,etc. The registry is much more than weenie swinging.

I can certainly see that, although I love swinging my weenie. It annoys my wife, especially when we have guests over.

When CALtopia is finally upon us, registry points will buy you the health care and the macro-nutrients required for reproduction . If you have few or no registry points, you will be extinguished by your own mediocrity.

Thanks, Cheetah.

I can certainly see that, although I love swinging my weenie. It annoys my wife, especially when we have guests over.

:applause:

Basically the registry is my very own private excel sheet that keeps track of the slabbed books I own and the registry numbers. It is online which means that it is always there. I can access it from any point with an internet connection.

Big Swinging Dix
(worship)

:gossip: Cover up, Mike - someone's been looking. :o

It's Friday! I'll give em a peek. ;)

that's awfully big, and swinging a little to the left

2c

I've been told that it's not such a bad thing to swing to the left a bit.

Big Swinging Dix
(worship)

:gossip: Cover up, Mike - someone's been looking. :o

It's Friday! I'll give em a peek. ;)

that's awfully big, and swinging a little to the left

2c

I've been told that it's not such a bad thing to swing to the left a bit.

Strange. An upward curve, sometimes referred to as the "comfort curve" can be beneficial for some women because it can help stimulate the Grafenberg spot (which is somewhat of a misnomer, as there is no "spot") That region of the va-jayjay has added sensitivity for a different reason.

But to the left? (shrug)