• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

WOW... what a thriller

surprise ending in penalty shootout, Portugal's goalie scored after making a save.

Imho, better team won. Portugal was more aggressive. They pushed even then they were leading.

i'm on the phone with comcast right now, the PPV went out after 2:30 PST. mad.gif right after england's 2nd miss on PK zip, nada, zilch! confused.gif trying to get a partial refund and to file a complaint, i'm sure i'm not the only one waiting ti scream at somebody. mad.gif

Just so you all know......I have a German Football Club about 300 meters from my house. The way they are celebrating and honking their horns, you'd think Germany won the World Cup....... mad.gif

Jim

i'm on the phone with comcast right now, the PPV went out after 2:30 PST. right after england's 2nd miss on PK zip, nada, zilch!

Ouch... that HURTS.

not as much as it did to my friend, he left depressed and in shock, he was rooting for england. sorry.gif on a better note, i just got offf the phone with comcast and i got a partial refund of $10. laugh.gif boy o boy are their phones lighting up with angry UEFA fans, 893whatthe.gif i warned her in advance. gossip.gif

Just so you all know......I have a German Football Club about 300 meters from my house. The way they are celebrating and honking their horns, you'd think Germany won the World Cup....... mad.gif

Jim

Fair enough, I danced a merry jig when they got knocked out by the Czech reserves yesterday. It may be a cliche, but I 'ate 'em.

In fact I hope the Czechs win the tournament (they're looking good for it) in honour of their service.

Czechs t owin, thats my bet thumbsup2.gif

That game tonight made me sad beyond belief.

Yes - Portugal played better in the second half, but as rersults go, England was blatently abused by the ref who disallowed a goal that not even Delek could say was wrong.

It's a sad day ------ but life goes on

I still have my office sweepstake to live on--------------------------------------- I picked

Greece sorry.gifsorry.gifsorry.gif

Just a couple of stats to draw matters to a conclusion. In the period 1990 to 2004, there have been 4 World Cups and 4 European Championships. England qualified for the final stages of 6 of those tournaments. WC - 1990, 1998, 2002. EC - 1996, 2000, 2004. England have gone out of those 6 tournaments 4 times on penalty shootouts.

I think it's time England started practicing those penalties.

i'm on the phone with comcast right now, the PPV went out after 2:30 PST. mad.gif right after england's 2nd miss on PK zip, nada, zilch! confused.gif trying to get a partial refund and to file a complaint, i'm sure i'm not the only one waiting ti scream at somebody. mad.gif

We had the same thing happen here in New York. 893frustrated.gif Blew off work with two of my colleagues and we ordered it on PPV only to see the service go out right after Vassell's miss. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I agree that the disallowed goal was highly questionable...no surprise that it was the same ref from the Czech Republic-Holland match. Did I tell you guys that he is complete and utter $hite or what? He cost Holland that match and now he's cost England their shot at glory.

IMO, the match was about as even as you could call it and England was unfortunate to have lost Rooney so early - while he ain't no Pele, he certainly could have played a deciding role in the outcome of this tight match without much separating the sides. I thought Portugal was pretty unimpressive overall; I was shocked to see how far Luis Figo's skills have declined and Ashley Cole effectively shut down Ronaldo after the first 20 minutes. England seemed to tire in the second half, though, and gave up possession too quickly and easily; the attack deteriorated into one long ball after another. I thought Owen played well and it's too bad that Rooney was not there while the Portuguese were dominating possession in the second half to, if not score more goals than to at least keep the Portuguese defense honest.

England to me looked to be slightly the better team overall, but, as a Holland supporter, I know all too well that cruel exits from tournaments via the penalty shoot-out are part of the game. Well, my condolences to the English fans, but don't sweat it too much - we all know club football is where it's at these days anyway (though you Spurs fans are pretty screwed there as well).

England to me looked to be slightly the better team overall, but, as a Holland supporter, I know all too well that cruel exits from tournaments via the penalty shoot-out are part of the game. Well, my condolences to the English fans, but don't sweat it too much - we all know club football is where it's at these days anyway (though you Spurs fans are pretty screwed there as well).

893naughty-thumb.gif Hey, don't knock Spurs, you forget we have the new hero of Portugal, Helder Postiga, on our books. grin.gif

I think the best team won in the end, even though England were unlucky to have the last ditch goal disalowed. Shades of France '98, Sol Campbell again. 893frustrated.gif

For me, England made exactly the same mistake they did against the French and sat back on their lead. They spent most of the game soaking up Portuguese pressure and it always felt like only a matter of time before the equaliser came. foreheadslap.gif

Worst England player of the tournament? ...David Beckham, he was almost completely anonomous in every game. Sign of a world class player? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am gutted.

We came out second half and were dominated by a much better team.

I am sure the papers will be talking about that referee, he was terrible. He penalised almost everything Vassell did.

Got to say the first goal was good on the turn.

Czechs are my new team cloud9.gif

Gene....you're alot more charitable towards England's match than I am. They were outplayed by Portugal by a wide margin in my opinion. They couldn't consistently pass or even get the ball out of their own end for practically the entire second half. I don't know that Rooney would have made much difference as England couldn't get the ball upfield.....

As far as the disallowed goal.....it was a judgement call. I can see how the Ref saw it against Terry. His arm was draped over the goalie. Now I realize it was unintentional and the Port goalie made more out of it than was there but from the Ref's POV, he had to make a call and it could have gone either way. Sadly, England was the one called.

And I have nothing even remotely good to say about Beckham's play. Outside of the Swiss match, he had a abysmal tournament. Maybe now the English press will stop giving him airplay.....

I guess it's time to throw my support over to Holland but I don't think they are going to last long either.....

Jim

I never cease to be shocked in this tournament 893whatthe.gif

If it wasn't before, now it's truly up for grabs. insane.gif

Going back to the original poll, Greece, Portugal, Holland and Denmark got a whopping 1 vote each while Sweden and the Czech Republic didn't get any!

I'm hoping for Holland (I'm the only one who picked them sorry.gif) to exact revenge against the Czech Republic in the final. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I never cease to be shocked in this tournament 893whatthe.gif

I was on-line, and I checked the score periodically. I was planning on going for a run at about 4:30. Once it went 1-0, I realized I couldn't leave until I knew the result. Once it went final I did go for my run, but I went via a different route since there's a big Greek population in my neighborhood. Greeks gone wild!

Beyond that, I'm totally lost. I normally root for the two sides that make up my heritage that I have an affinity for- Italy and England (in that order.) Of course with this screwed up tournament, the one I don't really have an affinity for- Sweden, is still alive. 893frustrated.gif

Beyond that, I'm totally lost. I normally root for the two sides that make up my heritage that I have an affinity for- Italy and England (in that order.) Of course with this screwed up tournament, the one I don't really have an affinity for- Sweden, is still alive. 893frustrated.gif

Well, I love Dutch and Swedish women cloud9.gif, so I'll root for whoever wins the Holland-Sweden match tomorrow (which will hopefully be Holland). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Today is my 40th birthday and I would have spent it a good deal happier if England hadn't gone out last night.

I can't complain about the referee. In Euro 96 the Spanish had a perfectly good goal disallowed in their QF against us and we then went on to beat them on penalties. Deja Vu or what? Well, what goes around comes around.

I think it's set up for the Portugese now. They have the extra day before their SF and the winner of that has an extra day before the final. I think that will make a huge difference and staying in Lisbon, at home, can't help. I fancy they'll beat the Czechs in the final, although I have't been too right so far.

I missed tonights match but I was gobsmacked when I saw the result on the teletext. Did Greece have the rub of the green or were they full value for their win? I could never have called that one!