• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

Beware the team that lays out 30 to 50 million quid for him.

They were saying during last night's match that Porto may be interested.....

Jim

27_laughing.gif

Rooney is not stupid enough to move abroad this early on, Everton have said that the only team that could afford him are Chelsea. I can see them approaching, but the rotation system might kill him having to play with multiple amounts of people. H ewould have to adjust his game loads.

Everton is going to be his home for at least the next year.

Beware the team that lays out 30 to 50 million quid for him.

They were saying during last night's match that Porto may be interested.....

Jim

That would be a stupid move for both sides! Rooney needs exposure to play in a top league, and realistically England is his only option with his style of play. I'm sure he'd be very frustrated in Spain or Italy with defenders hitting the floor at the slightest touch from him.

I just noted the Gazza/Rooney analogy to my English colleague here. His response: "If you don't believe that they're going down EXACTLY the same path, you're wrong." 27_laughing.gif

Just because they look vaguely like each other......

Gazza suffered from (and still suffers) ADD, Tourette's, and other psychological syndromes brought about through chemical imbalance etc.

Rooney seems pretty placid compared to Gazza. I'd've thought his nonchalant goal celebrations would've made that clear. Rooney is not Gazza.

Besides, Gazza was the great playmaker. Rooney is a striker.

That would be a stupid move for both sides! Rooney needs exposure to play in a top league, and realistically England is his only option with his style of play. I'm sure he'd be very frustrated in Spain or Italy with defenders hitting the floor at the slightest touch from him.

Porto play in the Portuguese league. gossip.giftongue.gif

Well, the only result that Italy couldn't do anything against came up in the Denmark v Sweden match... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was laughing when Italy scored in the last few minutes and the guy was celebrating but was then told they where going out anyway 27_laughing.gif

Bulgaria cheated there best towards the end and still ended up losing. foreheadslap.gif

I was laughing when Italy scored in the last few minutes and the guy was celebrating but was then told they where going out anyway 27_laughing.gif

I felt bad for the guy.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

shocked.gif

This is going to be a strange load of Quarter-Finals.

Loads of the second rate teams are doing well.

Germany out tonight i predict 893applaud-thumb.gif

Porto play in the Portuguese league. gossip.giftongue.gif

And your point being...? I said Rooney needs to play in a top league (England, Spain, Italy) for the proper experience/exposure, and only the Premiership suits his style of play. The only inference that could be drawn was that Porto was not on the table because the Portuguese league is not a top league. I'm not sure how you could have interpreted my comments any other way? confused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif

Where's the outrage at Davids flop? confused-smiley-013.gif893naughty-thumb.gifinsane.gif

Jim

I haven't seen it yet, but I think we can all agree it would not have affected the final outcome of the match nor the Group, even if that is the case. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hup Holland Hup!

Laat de Leeuw niet in z'n Hempie staan

Hup Holland Hup!

Trek 't Beessie geen Pantoffels aan

Hup Holland Hup!

Laat je uit het Veld niet slaan

Want een Leeuw op Voetbalschoenen

Kan de hele Wereld aan.

VanNist313_LG.jpg

"Bite me Rooney! You ain't the only 4-goal hero of the Group stage, you ain't no Ronaldo (let alone Pele), and you'll be lucky to finish 4th runner up for next year's Premiership Golden Boot!"

Tonights games were the biggest pile of shiitte to watch, bar none.

Lets hope 2moros is a bit livelier.

Glad VanNister scored, he's my top goalscorer for the tournament grin.gif

And your point being...? I said Rooney needs to play in a top league (England, Spain, Italy) for the proper experience/exposure, and only the Premiership suits his style of play. The only inference that could be drawn was that Porto was not on the table because the Portuguese league is not a top league. I'm not sure how you could have interpreted my comments any other way? confused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif

Well for a start Porto are the champions of Europe, so they must be doing something right. But your point is noted that the Portugeuse league is not particularly strong, although it would prove to be a good place to develop as a player with regular first team football. There are some very talented young Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian players there, and skill is more important than physical strength.893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Personally I think you are wrong though and that Rooney has the talent to play anywhere he wants. he would be a big star in the Spanish league for sure, the Italian league is getting weaker due to lack of money though so I would discount it as an option. The Champions League is where it is at though these days, and as long as he joins a competitive club that is playing in this competition then he will be on the right road.

This overnight deification of Wayne Rooney is ridiculous. He scores a few goals against such fearsome teams as Switzerland and Croatia and suddenly he's the next Pele? foreheadslap.gif My English colleague pointed out that he picked up more yellow cards than scored goals last season...I saw on a website that he had 9 goals and 7 yellow cards, though I'm not sure if that included Cup play or not. In any case, I think he still has a long way to go before he establishes himself as a bonafide talent worth 30, 50 or 100 million pounds.

I mean, really, would you predict this guy to win the Golden Boot next year? Is he going to go from 9 goals to 29 goals? I really doubt it. Sure, he'll play more next year, but let's see how he handles a full Premiership season in terms of staying healthy and maintaining his form. I think a lot of the reason he's doing so well now is that he didn't have to play 50-60 full matches like Thierry Henry did last season (incl. all the Cup and international play). I'd be surprised if he's contending with Henry, Van Nistelrooy, et. al. for top honors next year - and neither of those guys is being worshipped like Wayne has been this past week. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but I think, so far, there's been far too much hype and lip service paid to him.

This overnight deification of Wayne Rooney is ridiculous. He scores a few goals against such fearsome teams as Switzerland and Croatia and suddenly he's the next Pele? foreheadslap.gif My English colleague pointed out that he picked up more yellow cards than scored goals last season...I saw on a website that he had 9 goals and 7 yellow cards, though I'm not sure if that included Cup play or not. In any case, I think he still has a long way to go before he establishes himself as a bonafide talent worth 30, 50 or 100 million pounds.

I mean, really, would you predict this guy to win the Golden Boot next year? Is he going to go from 9 goals to 29 goals? I really doubt it. Sure, he'll play more next year, but let's see how he handles a full Premiership season in terms of staying healthy and maintaining his form. I think a lot of the reason he's doing so well now is that he didn't have to play 50-60 full matches like Thierry Henry did last season (incl. all the Cup and international play). I'd be surprised if he's contending with Henry, Van Nistelrooy, et. al. for top honors next year - and neither of those guys is being worshipped like Wayne has been this past week. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but I think, so far, there's been far too much hype and lip service paid to him.

You can't compare Henry and Van Nistelrooy with Rooney.

Those two are in great teams that create chances for them, Rooney is in a very poor team. Out of those 9 goals how many did he make from no where?

Well, if Chelsea take him for £85k a week like the papers say today, I think it will be a shame.

He will be lost amongst the many supertalents at Chelsea, and not given the time he needs to work at things.

Obviously I thik anyone would say it is silly to say he is the new Pele after a handful of games, but if worked the right way he could be at the top in a few years - as could Ronaldo et al.

Anyway, tonights game will see whether he can score against a real team, but I think Owen will shine tonight thumbsup2.gif