• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark days for the CGC Highly dissappointed....

83 posts in this topic

Before going an further with statements like these, I would strongly urge you to present evidence or proof of this claim. Keep in mind that you are coming onto a well respected forum making statements with no evidence, simply because your book came back at a lower grade than expected. Personally, I am glad CGC graded your book with the same exact scrutiny as any other book they have graded over the years. Yes, it is true that grading anything (i.e. coins, currency, or toys); is an art as well as a science. That being said, this does not give you a right to make false claims because you believe you understand grading better than a company that has graded well over one million comic books. The reason why CGC graded comic books carry a premium is because collectors put their trust in the company and have no reason not to.

Respectfully,

'mint'

the OPs statements don't need repeating, but this does... +1

If the OP had all this inside dirt in CGC's dodgy ways, I am baffled as to why he even submitted the book to them.

If you don't submit (and be disappointed by the results), you can't person_without_enough_empathy.

You can bet my hairy white butt that had the OP submitted a book and it came back higher than he thought, he wouldn't be person_without_enough_empathying about it. :eyeroll:

I'm sorry you got hit with sentimental grade shock,please show us a pic of said book front and back.All books are graded without knowledge of who owns the books,so your theory of bias holds no merit. (shrug)

Agreed. I got beat up on a few books my first submission - especially one I thought would grade high and it came back a 9.0. The one, single book that I absolutely thought was a 9.8 that I sent in, came back a 9.8. It's unrealistic to think you're being singled out by a curmudgeonly grader having a bad day.

It's hard to be objective when it comes to grading. I'm sure most people can admit that - but even when you can't be objective, understanding that CGC is is important to feeling good about your collection.

Another important detail that people forget is that the CGC grade is just an opinion. It does not make it Gospel truth.

I disagree. Because CGC is THE one and only professional grading/slabbing company in our hobby, I would say their final grade lies somewhere in between opinion and gospel. Yes, we all look through the slab and form our own opinions about "presentation," but for the most part all of our price negotiations stem from the grade assigned. It's not like medicine, where we can go to another "Dr." and ask for a second professional opinion that matters... The CGC "opinion" rules

Another important detail that people forget is that the CGC grade is just an opinion. It does not make it Gospel truth.

I disagree. Because CGC is THE one and only professional grading/slabbing company in our hobby, I would say their final grade lies somewhere in between opinion and gospel. Yes, we all look through the slab and form our own opinions about "presentation," but for the most part all of our price negotiations stem from the grade assigned. It's not like medicine, where we can go to another "Dr." and ask for a second professional opinion that matters... The CGC "opinion" rules

Well said, but not entirely true. Viewing CGC as the one true opinion is a voluntary belief, and if you feel your own grade is at odds with theirs, you are free to crack the slab so as to negate any influence or bias they may have on your sale (although that option of course only holds for books you own, not ones you want).

Again, I do agree with you, mostly, but not in any kind of absolute way. And there is another company that competes with CGC, although its reputation is pretty shoddy.

And there is another company that competes with CGC, although its reputation is pretty shoddy.

Yes, but far too shoddy to even be considered a competitor. Right now, CGC is the one and only! Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan. Also - I am not being absolute - which is why i put them IN BETWEEN opinion and gospel... :)

Looking at the corner and spine, I'd be overjoyed to get a 9.0

If you think that book is anyway near a 9.4 you need to brush up on your grading.

I'm glad to see that CGC is tightening up it's grading, as I had heard from a lot of people recently, after last years extremely loose grading. I submitted books that had flaws that clearly should keep them no higher than 7.0 (and I'm talking about things that actually effect the presentation within the slab) that were getting 8-8.5.

These flucuations in grading however don't define the value (at on sites other than ebay). I often see 2 CGC copied of the same issue at the same auction (heritage, comiconnect, etc) and often the lower grades copy ends up selling for a higher price. If you look of the scans of the 2 books it's clear the lower graded book is in better condition than the higher graded book (I've often called CGC for notes on the 2 books and often the notes even confirm this). Luckily "buy the book not the grade" is being practiced.

I understand that with different humans grading different books that these variations are unavoidable. The only thing that I don't understand is why CGC refuses to make their grading criteria public. They must have one, and it certainly isn't the same one overstreet uses, so it's a bit disturbing that you are left without any, even very simple guidelines to the grading system. This is even more important because the book is slabbed, and if you are not the original owner you have only the exterior of the book to judge.

Of course by not having their grading criteria defined for the public probably saves them a lot of complaints. It's hard to argue that they got the grade wrong when they don't give you the rules.

I'd like to see more pics of the book. I can't really see the creases (I see where I think they are). Regardless, 9.4 is too high with that corner and the creases.

Sounds like first time submission blues.

I think Smegma is the guy who turned up on Ebay awhile ago with his new grading system that was going to put CGC out of business.

Link?

I wonder if the doctor is thinking of Theo Holstein, whose ebay ID I forget.

Now if only I could forget Theo and his bare skin rug. :sick:

I think Smegma is the guy who turned up on Ebay awhile ago with his new grading system that was going to put CGC out of business.

Link?

Once you see that image, there is no taking it back. It's burned into your soul. :cry:

Link?

Once you see that image, there is no taking it back. It's burned into your soul. :cry:

Ah yes. I had forgotten about that.

CGC about to be pwned!