• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

I've always loved the DC Whitman's, brings back great memories when I was a kid. Below is my latest acquisition and it took me a while to find it. Gotta love Sgt. Rock.

SgtRock329Whitman.jpg

Nice score on a real HTF one!!

Just saw an ebay bidding war end recently on a low grade DCW DCCP #10 (Sgt Rock & Superman) that brought over $40! It's a tough issue but still that surprised the heck outta me!

Anyone ever put together a scarcity index on individual issues and sealed packs? Kinda like what Doug Sulipa did for GK/Whitmans?

I really couldn't imagine a scarcity list for the sealed packs. With one or two exceptions there have been only a few that have popped up for sale more than 2-3 times over the many years I've been watching. So essentially about 95% of all the packs that you see are scarce! There are 5 packs that I've seen but that I don't have in my collection. Some days you snipe the other guy, some days the other guy snipes you. lol

For the individual issues I've never seen an attempt made at the whole set. In general I'd advise that the Superman, Action, and Brave & Bold issues plus maybe Batman are most common - about what you'd expect where the more popular the title character, the more common the book. There are rare exceptions even among those titles of the most common issues of course.

Anyone ever put together a scarcity index on individual issues and sealed packs? Kinda like what Doug Sulipa did for GK/Whitmans?

I really couldn't imagine a scarcity list for the sealed packs. With one or two exceptions there have been only a few that have popped up for sale more than 2-3 times over the many years I've been watching. So essentially about 95% of all the packs that you see are scarce! There are 5 packs that I've seen but that I don't have in my collection. Some days you snipe the other guy, some days the other guy snipes you. lol

hm Guess I should hold on to the one sealed pack I have.

hm Guess I should hold on to the one sealed pack I have.

At least share it with us! Which one have you got?

These Whitman bagged books were great. I remember throwing as many of these as I could into the cart when my mom took me shopping at Caldors!

tumblr_mb1abdS0n31rcxi63o1_500.jpg

Caldor lol

I think the Minnesota equivalent was Alco, Shopko, or Pamida ,,earlier maybe Gibsons and woolworths. Most of which are all gone.

I can remember buying some 3 packs at the local Ben Franklin, toy dept.