• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - LOTR

103 posts in this topic

Since he named the 1977 movie "Episode IV - A New Hope", I'm thinking he at least

envisioned three chapters prior to the original. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea, along with the obvious past link between Vader/Luke/Leia, references to the Clone Wars in the original film, Tarkin talking about the Emperor dissolving the Senate and Republic...

I wonder if this franchise is at an end, becuase of how bad the third one was.

They're planning a fourth one: http://filmforce.ign.com/jp3/

Spielberg is returning to the Crichton books, according to that website.

He'd be nuts to leave out the chameleon carnivores... so maybe we'll finally see 'em!

cloud9.gif

And I will argue to my grave.. that George Lucas say's he originally imagined Star Wars as a 6 part story..

BS.. total BS

BS.......... booo.... GL: the first 3 movies made money.. and you did all you could to come up with a convincing back story to fill 3 more movie chapters.

Huh? What do you mean? I thought he had envisioned it as a 9-part story...are you saying he didn't even have 6 in mind?

As you say..

His 9 part story.. was used up with the first 3 movies..

yes there are threads of charecters yet unresolved..

And yes he had a whole univers created to dabble in..

My point is..

His story is played out..

We all know the ending..

Its like he is doing a retread of what we all know ..

So if he had a 9 part movie story.. and did parts 3 - 6 first..then he is either a total genious. or insufficiently_thoughtful_person..

I still am not sure which.

And for the record.. my all time fav movie is Star Wars..

Saw it as a young lad with my best friend after my mom dropped us off at the movies.. we saw it 2 times that day.. and went back the next weekend.

So I am not a Star Wars basher..

just a George L. basher.. I am tired of apoligizing for his recent movies..

I like parts of them.. I want to really like the whole thing..

But I cant..He lost my vote.. I cant support him anymore.

And as I said.. he can say he meant for all this to be made into 9 movies.. but why didnt he start at the beggining if that was his intention.?

Spielberg is returning to the Crichton books, according to that website.

He'd be nuts to leave out the chameleon carnivores... so maybe we'll finally see 'em!

cloud9.gif

That would be nice. I want to see more interaction between the dinos, particularly the large ones...those guys who rode the motorcycles between the legs of the monstrous Apatosaur (or was that Diplodocus? confused-smiley-013.gif ) in JP2 freaked me out, I really wanted to see more of that thing!! crazy.gif

Other trilogies that I liked -

Mad Max (although the third one was a little iffy)

Sergio Leones / Clint Eastwood's Man with no Name western trilogy

Terminator

My rankings for top four trilogies -

1. LOTR

2. Indiana Jones

3. Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns

4. Star Wars (sorry, but I can't get over those stupid Ewoks)

And as I said.. he can say he meant for all this to be made into 9 movies.. but why didnt he start at the beggining if that was his intention.?

Considering it's a "modern epic", he didn't start at the beginning because

that's not how you tell an epic story "in media res". (For further reference, see: The Odyssey) grin.gif

And I will argue to my grave.. that George Lucas say's he originally imagined Star Wars as a 6 part story..

BS.. total BS

BS.......... booo.... GL: the first 3 movies made money.. and you did all you could to come up with a convincing back story to fill 3 more movie chapters.

Huh? What do you mean? I thought he had envisioned it as a 9-part story...are you saying he didn't even have 6 in mind?

As you say..

My point is..

We all know the ending..

Its like he is doing a retread of what we all know ..

So if he had a 9 part movie story.. and did parts 3 - 6 first..then he is either a total genious. or insufficiently_thoughtful_person..

I still am not sure which.

And for the record.. my all time fav movie is Star Wars..

Saw it as a young lad with my best friend after my mom dropped us off at the movies.. we saw it 2 times that day.. and went back the next weekend.

So I am not a Star Wars basher..

just a George L. basher.. I am tired of apoligizing for his recent movies..

I like parts of them.. I want to really like the whole thing..

But I cant..He lost my vote.. I cant support him anymore.

I know he has said that the middle chapters (4-6) had the most interesting story so he made those first. So yes he is part genius, although he is also part shmuck for parts 1 & 2.

Since he named the 1977 movie "Episode IV - A New Hope", I'm thinking he at least envisioned three chapters prior to the original. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Come on, you had to know that was added after the theatrical release, right? foreheadslap.gif

As you say..

My point is..

We all know the ending..

Already knowing the ending of Episode III is definitely somewhat of a bummer before having even seen the film, but are you sure he used up his 9-part story in episodes IV to VI? Seems like Luke being the only remaining Jedi wasn't much of a "return"...seems like there's a LOT of story left beyond Return of the Jedi.

Since he named the 1977 movie "Episode IV - A New Hope", I'm thinking he at least envisioned three chapters prior to the original. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Come on, you had to know that was added after the theatrical release, right? foreheadslap.gif

you mean on the DVD version? insane.gif

I read somewhere or heard him say that he had written an outline for six chapters, as part of a nine part story.

Actually, Lucas didn't have a clue and really made it up as he went along.

The Luke-Darth relationship is the only one that was in there, while Luke-Leia was a quick add-on.

The whole "Episode 4" BS was added later on, and as for the other trilogies, they've changed greatly over the years. Originally Lucas was going to place the first three stories "hundreds of years before Star Wars" (and had nothing to do with Vader), but changed it to "LIttle Star Wars" because that's what the fanboys wanted.

So basically, he had Star Wars and part of Empire worked out when he started, and everything past that is very recent and was definitely not part of a "9-part story". If you believe that, just read some old interviews with Lucas where he talks about the ever-changing story.

Yeah, in 1980... that's not like it was last year. In 1980 it was "Episode IV",

I'd say that indicates at least three prior "episodes" in his plans EARLY on.

Considering it's a "modern epic", he didn't start at the beginning because

that's not how you tell an epic story. (For further reference, see: The Odyssey) grin.gif

So George ripped of a known literary tool.. wow.. he is smart..

And from his own mouth in a special I saw recently on VH1 from a 1981 interview .. he said roughly .

"I had no idea Star Wars was going to be this big.. I never knew it was going to go beyond the first movie, I am thrilled fans like it so much and I will do my best to keep making up stories that fans will find enjoyable."

And that was why in my earlier post.. I am mad at him saying now.. "I meant all along to make 6 movies.. about this story".

Z

I think it was inserted for the second theatrical release, as Lucas had started gabbing about his prequels "taking place hundreds of years before Star Wars".

Seriously, did you really think Episode 4 was there when Star Wars opened?

I think it was inserted for the second theatrical release, as Lucas had started gabbing about his prequels "taking place hundreds of years before Star Wars".

Seriously, I was 9 years old. It could have been all over the screen and I might not remember.

And when they mentioned the words.."Clone Wars'

Did he really have the story thought out ?

nuff said...

As you say..

My point is..

We all know the ending..

Already knowing the ending of Episode III is definitely somewhat of a bummer before having even seen the film, but are you sure he used up his 9-part story in episodes IV to VI? Seems like Luke being the only remaining Jedi wasn't much of a "return"...seems like there's a LOT of story left beyond Return of the Jedi.

there was a lot more story and it was told in the books that came afterward (some of the stories werent bad either!)

Did he really have the story thought out ?.

Nope, but he made SW fanboys *think* he had this whole multi-part mythos all worked out, and that was incredibly key towards driving the demand for future movies. This illusion of an all-encompassing galactic tale was incredibly fun to think about, talk about and basically pumped up demand for sequels to a fever pitch.

If Lucas has told the truth, and admitted he was just making it up as he went along, there would not be the rabid fanbase there is today.

there was a lot more story and it was told in the books that came afterward (some of the stories werent bad either!)

The Timothy Zahn "trilogy" books are great... "Heir To The Empire"...

(If they ever DID make Episodes 7 to 9, those three books would be it.)

The rest of the Star Wars "expanded universe" is hit-or-miss...

a variety of authors, mainly focused on a pre-teen/teen audience...

as many have said, if it's not in the movies --- it doesn't count.

(...and it sounds like a lot of people wish the movies didn't count either...)

::cough, cough:: Jar Jar ::cough cough::

A lot of different storys are tossed out on what Lucas had origainly planned...on his 6 or 9 books .

But there was a lot of Episode 1-3 already known to the fan base even before Return of the Jedi came out. There are books/magazines etc. talking about Stormtroopers as Clones, and the origin of Darth Vader (Lava pit fight etc) discussed as far back as 1980. In interviews with Lucas he has talked about the various changes made on the original trilogy from -script to screen. Ben Kenobi wasn't supposed to die in Star Wars and there was supposed to be a Wookie planet, instead of Ewoks in the Jedi. (But the Wookie planet will be in Episode III) I think the original title of the very very first draft was "Journal of the Whills" or something with names like Luke Starkiller and Mace Windy. Afterword he fleshed out the various parts of his story. HE mention in an inverview if he did do a post Jedi movie it would be Luke Skywalker as an old man passing down his lightsaber like an Excaliber of sort.