• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade Storage, Handling and Transportation Questions

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Below is a series of very specific questions regarding how you store, handle and transport your comics, particularly high grade and/or valuable books. My goal for bringing up these questions in a centralized thread is not just to figure out what I’m doing right or wrong with my own collection, but for all of us to benefit from each other’s experience and expertise in preserving the condition of our comics. Please feel free to answer some, none or all of these questions, but try to be as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Storage:

1. What kinds of bags, mylar sleeves and boards do you use? Do you double bag and/or double board? If using mylar sleeves, do you also bag the book?

2. Do you ever use polybags, or only mylar bags such as E. Gerber Mylites or Mylites2?

3. Do you tape bags shut? If so, how many pieces do you use and where do you put them on the flap?

4. What kind of boxes do you keep your comics in? Long box? Short box?

5. How full do you fill your boxes?

6. Where do you store your books? (No, I don’t want the address!)

7. Is your storage temperature and humidity controlled? If so, what settings do you keep them at? If it is not controllable, describe the general environmental conditions.

8. How often do you replace bags/boards/sleeves?

9. Do you have books slabbed simply for the sake of protection?

Handling:

1. How do you hold a comic that is still in its’ bag/sleeve?

2. Describe how you physically remove a comic from the bag/sleeve, and how you place it back inside.

3. How do you hold the comic in your hands once you have removed it from its’ bag/sleeve? Or, do you set it on a flat surface when opening the book to look inside?

4. How do you turn the pages?

5. Do you wear gloves? Latex or cotton?

6. How far do you open a high grade book?

7. What is the highest grade book you will actually open up to read?

8. How often are you willing to physically handle a book outside of a bag/sleeve? How often are you willing to handle a slabbed/bagged/sleeved comic?

9. Do you let other people handle your books? If so, do you coach them on how to do it to your satisfaction before giving it to them?

Transportation (Not shipping via Fed Ex, UPS, post, etc…):

1. If taking less than a full box of books somewhere for show/sale/trade, how do you pack them for travel?

2. Have any of your books ever been damaged inside the CGC well through normal handling and transportation? What about damage inside the well during shipping? How much of a concern is this for you?

Storage:

1. What kinds of bags, mylar sleeves and boards do you use? Do you double bag and/or double board? If using mylar sleeves, do you also bag the book?

Polybags on most books later than 1990. Mylite2's on anything old or expensive. Double board anything worth over $25. I ALWAYS use bags and boards larger than the book. Silver age bags/boards for Bronze/Modern books.

2. Do you ever use polybags, or only mylar bags such as E. Gerber Mylites or Mylites2?

Answered above.

3. Do you tape bags shut? If so, how many pieces do you use and where do you put them on the flap?

One piece of tape in the center. I double over one end so it's easy to remove. I completely remove the tape from the bag when taking out a book.

Short boxes ONLY.

I fill the boxes enough that there is little movement of the books. Every 10 books are placed into a magazine bag that is untaped with the flap up so I can grab the flap and easily pull books out enough books to give room for flipping through the box. GOD, I'm anal!

In a large walk-in closet. Some are rotated out on a display shelf in my computer room.

7. Is your storage temperature and humidity controlled? If so, what settings do you keep them at? If it is not controllable, describe the general environmental conditions.

My house stays 70 degrees year round. The closet tends to stay a bit cooler.

I've only been back into collecting for a few years. I'm not worried about it yet.

Absolutely.

Handling:

Flat in my palm. Never a thumb at the top to cause a thumb dent.

2. Describe how you physically remove a comic from the bag/sleeve, and how you place it back inside.

I keep the book on the board when removing or putting it back into the bag.

3. How do you hold the comic in your hands once you have removed it from its’ bag/sleeve? Or, do you set it on a flat surface when opening the book to look inside?

I usually hold the book with a file envelope only opened enough to see inside the book. Or place it on a table. I never hold high grade books in my hand.

Lick my finger and thumb through. 27_laughing.gif Just kidding. Umm...one at a time?

No.

Just enough to see into the spine to check for color touch and check the staples.

I'll read most anything because I'm careful with them. I'm more comfortable reading VF and lower.

8. How often are you willing to physically handle a book outside of a bag/sleeve? How often are you willing to handle a slabbed/bagged/sleeved comic?

I try not to handle a high grade unless I have a reason. They do just fine without me touching them.

9. Do you let other people handle your books? If so, do you coach them on how to do it to your satisfaction before giving it to them?

Absolutely not. You toucha my comic, I breaka you face.

1. If taking less than a full box of books somewhere for show/sale/trade, how do you pack them for travel?

In a smaller box? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2. Have any of your books ever been damaged inside the CGC well through normal handling and transportation? What about damage inside the well during shipping? How much of a concern is this for you?

Not while I'm in posession of them. I don't buy 9.8+ books, so it's not of much concern.

Hi everyone,

Below is a series of very specific questions regarding how you store, handle and transport your comics, particularly high grade and/or valuable books. My goal for bringing up these questions in a centralized thread is not just to figure out what I’m doing right or wrong with my own collection, but for all of us to benefit from each other’s experience and expertise in preserving the condition of our comics. Please feel free to answer some, none or all of these questions, but try to be as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Storage:

1. What kinds of bags, mylar sleeves and boards do you use?

E.Gerber Mylite2's (775M2) with acid free half-back 24-mil boards (750HB) Silver Age, for books $50 and under.

Do you double bag and/or double board?

NO

If using mylar sleeves, do you also bag the book?

NO

(See above) I use poly bags for books after 1980, and generally with grades less than FN 6.0.

***Yes, and no. I don't use tape - I use those little colored post-its made by 3M - these are great! No one should let tap come anywhere near a sleeve or book!

Short box - long is too long!

80 to 90 books maximum

Dark, cool walk-in closet, much to my wife's chagrin!

No, I have the luxury of living in the SF Bay Area

As of 2000, polys every 2 years, mylars never, unless damaged or sold

Yes, My Avengers #4 & Sgt. Fury #13 comes to mind, a few early Batmans.

Handling:

Carefully, from below, in the palm of my hand - pretty much the same as un-bagged.

I usually take both the board and book out of the sleeve at the same time, grabbing the book firmly at the top between thumb and forefinger.

Sometimes both, very gently and depending upon the age and condition of the book. Reading is always done on a clean, flat surface whille sitting.

Very carefully.

No, I wash my hands like a maniac - can't stand gloves.

Only as far as it allows to be opened.

I've read a 9.8 Incredible Hulk #181, while grading it.

8. How often are you willing to physically handle a book outside of a bag/sleeve?

Obviously, as little as possible.

How often are you willing to handle a slabbed/bagged/sleeved comic?

A wreckless number of times!

9. Do you let other people handle your books?

Generally, not, unless they are in 4-Mil Mylars and/or slabbed.

If so, do you coach them on how to do it to your satisfaction before giving it to them?

Duh! Sorry, but I occasionally allow my wife and daughter to hold a book with great consternation!

I carry no more than 6 books at a time in a cardboard reinforced leather attache/dossier.

2. Have any of your books ever been damaged inside the CGC well through normal handling and transportation?

Yes, edge folding due to well placement is unavoidable.

What about damage inside the well during shipping? How much of a concern is this for you?

Very concerned, but what can I do???

Great post! Great list of Q's

cheers,

3081045ZMMM9798-resized200.jpg

To avoid ever getting a comic "snagged" on tape coming out of the bag. cool.gif

That happened to me once...tape tore up a nice half inch section of cover color. Since then (which was about 15 years ago) I NEVER use tape of any kind on my bags while they are in my personal collection. I always tuck in the flap then run my fingers along the top to create a crease at the top of the bag.

BTW Mylar of course for the good stuff but for newer comics I prefer polyethylene vs polypropylene. After observing over time I have noticed that polyethylene bags keep their shape and remain stable longer. On the other hand while being a clearer bag, polypropylene tends to shrivel and get "tacky".

Might as well keep this going with answers to my own questions...

Storage:

I use either Gerber Archives or Mylites2 for all my silver and early/mid bronze books. Gerber Fullbacks or Comic Defense System boards. I don't double board. I use Mylites2 on some books and place them in an Archives sleeve.

Polybags on moderns, copper and just a little bit of late bronze.

One 1-2" horizontal piece along the middle of the flap. I completely remove the tape and place it far away from the bag/book before taking it out.

Short boxes only. Don't know the brand. Whatever my LCS carries.

I estimate approx 125 books.

Silver and bronze go in a closet in the spare bedroom/computer room. Moderns are in the same room, but not in the closet.

Closet is 66-70 degrees most of the time.

Polybags get replaced about every 3 years. I would like to switch them to Mylites2 when changing.

I haven't as of yet, but plan to for a couple books.

Handling:

If it's in a sleeve, I will hold it by the back or corners, being careful not to put pressure in the spine. Bagged books get held from the back after I've extracted them from a box.

Place book on flat surface, remove tape, slip board and comic at the same time. Same thing in reverse to put it away. I try to not push or pull on the book itself when I do this. Let the board do the work.

Depending on the book, I'll set it on a flat surface or cradle it from the back with one hand.

Very gently from the upper quadrant of the right side.

For almost all silver and high grade bronze, yep. Tight fitting cotton gloves.

Usually no more than enough to fully see the panels on the right hand side of the page.

Not counting moderns, probably a VF+ or VF/NM. Depends on what it's worth in grade.

8. How often are you willing to physically handle a book outside of a bag/sleeve?How often are you willing to handle a slabbed/bagged/sleeved comic?

I frequently have to resist the urge to look inside many of my books. I'll take them out for a peek keeping them in the mylar every few weeks. Obviously more often if it is a recent aquisition.

Comic collecting friends whom I know are knowledgeable are welcome to cop a feel with or without protection. I let my wife handle my books in bags/sleeves. She hasn't asked to flip through one, but I would let her after explaining the way I prefer that she does it. Non-comic friends have never asked, but I would let them hold a book in its' bag/sleeve. It's a touchy subject because I wouldn't want to sound like a jerk if I had to say "no" to someone. Having said that, I probably wouldn't want anyone who works at the LCS I buy moderns from to touch my silver or bronze books (or my moderns once I walked out of the store) unless it is still in its' slab or bag!

For 8 books or less, sandwiched between two thick pieces of carboard, then slipped inside a velcro folder in a canvas tote bag.

I've owned a couple books that have edge bending caused by the well. I don't like it, but it's inevitable beacuse a book being too tight in the well would be even worse. I try not to worry about it when carrying them around, but I wouldn't want to ship them too many times.

1.What kinds of bags, mylar sleeves and boards do you use? Do you double bag and/or double board? If using mylar sleeves, do you also bag the book?

I use mylar for anything I have except books shiiped to me me in Mylite 2’s (usually BA from greggy) which I leave in them.

Don’t use anything but Mylar or Mylite 2 (see above) I remove any tape from the bags. Don’t like it and too much risk for what it is.

I use those plastic magazine holders rather than boxes. Keep them in a dark consistent temp/humidity place.

I pack the mag holders until they are JUST full with a hint of play. No stuffing books in.

I have a large (6x9) walk in closet. They go there. My computr and "office" is there so the books are covered with dark cloth to help reduce light.

Not yet but am considering humidity control. While the humidity in SF is pretty constant is is also higher than I like – in the 60’s and 70’s.

I don’t. Use mylar and buffered boards. Haven’t had to replace yet.

Nope.

Handling:

Gingerly.

Either fold the flap back or, if flapless, slightly “gape” the mylar. Gently remove both the comic and the backing board from the mylar at the same time.

As above, I remove both the board and the book at the same time. I then rotate the book 90 degrees so it laying along the length of the board. I support the board with my left hand and turn pages gently with my right. I read the book ON the backing board. This prevents my hand from remaiing in contact for a long time with the covers, and offers a nice support.

I slip my right index finger under the top about ½ to 1 inch from the right edge and turn gently from there. I let the weight of the page govern the turning..

No – just wash hands first.

As someone wisely said, as much as the book itself dictates.

As often as I want to read or consult it.

Yes, in the bag. There are a few friends at work who are very interested that I let actually hold the book unbagged. But they have been given lessons! And any real HG gems remain in the bag and usually in my hand. They do not take offense. They actually understand! I have actually had them say form time to time "That look's too nice - you hold it! (seriously)

on some books and place them in an Archives sleeve.

The only books I have ever seen damaged in storage were in Archives sleeves (snugs).

It makes me cringe to see a comic in one of these.

893frustrated.gif

on some books and place them in an Archives sleeve.

The only books I have ever seen damaged in storage were in Archives sleeves (snugs).

It makes me cringe to see a comic in one of these.

893frustrated.gif

Dice,

How and why did it get damaged? I find these to be superior. I like the extra rigidity of the 4-mil mylar, and the full breathability of the open-ended sleeve to allow gaseous exchange. I also store these horizontally in acid-free (for lack of a better description) "shoe-boxes". Please, do tell . . .

hi.giflaugh.gif

I have 80% of my comics in 1 mil Mylites,acid free backboards, with removable white stickers to close flap, and that is then placed in a 4 mil open top Mylar.

I try and get all my comics I keep in Mylar

little white removable stickers to close flap

I have several short cardboard boxes, but found I cant store all my Mylar comics in the ones I had.. so I built a few proto type Wood Comic Boxe's for my best comics..

Mylarcomicbox.jpg

as full as I can , without over crowding, and never to few so comics will shift while inside box

storage closet in extra bedroom

de humidifier in room.. but not at all as good as I would like it to be.

collection to new to worry about that, and most is in Mylar

mainly to check for resto and a quality opinion.

Handling:

pull from top of Mylar to remove from box, always try and support comic with 2 hands once outside box, by its edges

Take comic from Mylar slevve by pinching bottom of 4 mil Mylar, and grasping top of comic in its Mylite bag/board combo.. slide out slowly to make sure It comes out of sleeve evenly, and then peel off white stickers.. open flap.. and pull out comic with its board.. so I can still have comic out of bag.. but board is still there to protect chipping, and edge wear.

2 hands, right hand spread as far apart as I can to not place stress on spine in only 1 place,and support back cover, to open cover of comic I always test to see if it has been opened before.. and if I can feel it will open easily then I arch comic ever so slightly with left hand while I let cover page come away from comic, and let it rest against my left hand.. if I am checking comic only I do this very very carefully.. if I see comic has been read before, I try and handle it in areas of comic that have no wear.. so as to not make the current flaws more pronounced.

I normally wash my hands well with hot water and soap to remove oils from hand, and rarely use gloves..

Only barely.. a peek inside at most.

VF

Depends.. sometimes I get a wild hair and want to go through and pull out a section of my comic box.. and I handle them more then I should.. but isnt that the fun of owing them?

My CGC comics are there to be seen not touched.. my raw stuff while I do I treat with respect.. but I still like to see them.

Sure, if I know they understand what it is they are looking at, and if they dont then most likely I get very protective and probably come across as an anal retentive geek ..lol

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Is the wood treated at all? Wood is not the best environment for storing comics frown.gif.

Actually yes, it has been through a process that was described to me as "bleached" to strip away alot of the woods natural oils and pigmants..(similar to the cardboard used in our comic boxes) and then heat treated and sealed in a factory setting.

It is the best I could find for the suited purpose.

Cedar is incredibly expensive, and is hard to get in large pieces.

Poplar is a good 2nd choice.. hard.. and clean.. not prone to splitting and seems stable.

After countless conversations .. and differing opinions.. I decided this will not harm my comics anymore then storing them in a closet made of wood, or in a house made of wood.

The paper, and inks used to print the comics back then seem more likely to create gassing, or oils them my storage box might ..

But who knows..

ask me in 35 years!

Then I might tell you for sure.

for now..

I will 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good thread, Jim. Here are my thoughts.

Storage:

1) I use E. Gerber 4 mil mylar top loaders and full backs for back issues, and Ultra Pro comic bags (polypropylene) and two-sided white back boards (acid free at time of manufacture) for new issues.

2) Yes, I use the Ultra Pro poly bags for the cheap stuff and the new stuff.

3) No tape ever goes near my comics. I hate tape. There is no need for it. If you are one of those people who feels the need to tape a bag shut for some reason, use those sticker dots (the kind that comic stores used to use for price stickers). They probably won't get stuck to your comics, and if they do, they will usually peel off without harming the book.

4) I have some long boxes, but I tend to use those for holding my cheap reader stuff. Anything that I want to stay in NM goes in a short box.

5) I fill boxes snugly, but not packed in.

6) Upstairs closet. The proverbial "cool, dry, dark place."

7) My storage is not temperature or humidity controlled.

8) I haven't replaced any bags since I started collecting again about two or three years ago, except that whenever I buy a back issue, the book goes into a new mylar with full back. Obviously, I don't change mylars or full backs.

9) I would not slab a book for protection. I have seen too many books damaged in the slab to have confidence that a slabbed book is somehow better protected from damage than when it's in a 4 mil mylar and a full back backing board.

Handling:

1) I hold the bag very carefully. Usually flat in my hand.

2) Usually I will pull the book and the board out at the same time. I am extra careful not to ding the top of the book with my thumb, as this is pretty easy to do (results in an ugly crescent crease). I replace the book the same way. If it's a mylar, I keep the book and the board together. If it's a polybag, then it's a new issue and who really cares? I just put the back board into the bag, then slide the book in.

3) I hold the book in the flat of my hand, with a gentle curve to it. If I am reading at a table, then I lay it flat. But usually I am reading it in bed, so I hold it in my hand.

4) I just turn them carefully.

5) I wear gloves when I go skiing, not when I read comic books.

6) How far I open a high grade book depends on staple placement. I don't open it enough to stress the spine or staples.

7) I would not hesitate to read any book, regardless of condition, except for the lowest of low grades where I expect that the book might fall apart.

8) I am pretty careful with my important books, so there is no limit to how often I would handle them. As a practical matter, I don't handle them out of the sleeves very often. Inside the sleeves, I take them out and look at them all the time.

9) Unless the other person is a collector who I know to be careful with comic books, I would not let a person handle my books outside of the slab or mylar.

Transportation:

1) I will use a different kind of box.

2) Yes. I have a few books that I am convinced suffered damage inside the slab. This is a huge concern for me because it causes me to wonder whether a book in a slab will actually be in the same condition it was in when graded.

Excellent Thread! Great info that all comic bok collectors can learn from and apply! Need more Threads like this one!

CAL hi.gif

I just some new short boxes..When you put them together the inside where you

push the hand holds in stick out..Question do you tape them up?

I tape them up, but wouldn't you expect that petey? insane.gif

I just some new short boxes..When you put them together the inside where you

push the hand holds in stick out..Question do you tape them up?

I tape them up, but wouldn't you expect that petey? insane.gif

Yes. stooges.gif