• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - 1st Dayl Dixon & Something to Fear

128 posts in this topic

Why am I thinking I have never heard of a 200 issue end? I thought Kirkman said he would write this book till he died or no one wanted to read it anymore...

Tired JJ

+1

Heard it wont end too.

So this is a thread about a specific arc of the comic series when there's already a thread about the comic series?

And this is in addition to a thread about how the comic series became a TV show, and a thread about how the creators of the comic series don't like each other, and a thread about artwork for the comic series?

Should be just start a new thread for every single issue of the comic series? Is that where we are headed?

This is further evidence of my statement that this series is unlike any comic series in the history of comics ... The last time a comic spawned a sucessful adult tv series was Batman and the Walking Dead fans are way more dedicated.

It's great that they are dedicated. Based on monthly sales figures, right now, at a time when the show is having great ratings and is being licensed out the , there are only 32,000 copies being printed every month.

That's good for 63rd place.

It's best to just enjoy this for what it is, a well made television show made from source material we enjoy, and not exaggerate this into the second coming.

Batman fans have kept the series running since the late 1930's, kept it on television in one form or another for most of the last 50 years, and kept it in theaters consistently over the last 23 years....grossing several billion dollars along the way.

In the world of trademark success, marketability, branding, and acceptance Batman would be the king and the Walking Dead would be the noble squire.

Just enjoy it for what it is and try to go with the forum flow regarding superfluous threads.

It's a legit inquiry and (in my opinion) the most interesting issue with the most popular series on the site. Batman will always be my favorite comic, but the most interesting story being told is the Walking Dead. Again, there isn't a comic that has produced as sucessful a series since Batman. Is the Walking Dead the next Batman, I don't think so. But that doesn't make a discussion of when Daryl Dixon will appear in the comic or the Something to Fear story arc somehow inappropriate. Similarly, just because there are other threads about the legal dispute, the art or the tv show, that doesn't make this one inappropriate. If anything it makes the thread appropriate. jmho

And TMNT #1 will always be a key. Issue 19 and 27, not so much.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't follow the logic. Why can't Michonne be Phoenix? Governor be Apocolypse? Rick be Batman? Carl be Cable? 1st appearance Xmen 201?

Carl could end up having a 2nd WD series in 10 years that runs 200 issues.

You cannot seriously be comparing a creator owned series that has no ties with any other series to a series owned by as major publisher that has ties to many others in a shared universe. Especially a series where death is the only constant and characters don't return from it (yeah, yeah, you know what I mean).

I appreciate your opinion. I don't follow the logic. Why can't Michonne be Phoenix? Governor be Apocolypse? Rick be Batman? Carl be Cable? 1st appearance Xmen 201?

Because when Marvel creates a new character, they are creating a corporate commodity, not telling a story. I seriously doubt there will be another Walking Dead series, I seriously doubt Michonne will be in twelve different series. The difference between the collection of trademarks that make up the MU and DCU are fundamentally different than pretty much every other form of storytelling both inside and outside comics. The long history of hugely popular mainstream crossover isolated independent non super hero comics indicates that the introductions and deaths of all but maybe the character the title is named after will have no significant bump in value. Of course I could be wrong big time, but I don't see this series following the trend of super hero comics. I see it following the trend of the few long running indies with a highly sought after low print run first issue.

It's a legit inquiry and (in my opinion) the most interesting issue with the most popular series on the site. Batman will always be my favorite comic, but the most interesting story being told is the Walking Dead. Again, there isn't a comic that has produced as sucessful a series since Batman. Is the Walking Dead the next Batman, I don't think so. But that doesn't make a discussion of when Daryl Dixon will appear in the comic or the Something to Fear story arc somehow inappropriate. Similarly, just because there are other threads about the legal dispute, the art or the tv show, that doesn't make this one inappropriate. If anything it makes the thread appropriate. jmho

The thread, specifically to discuss everything that's going on in the comic book, makes this one redundant. It just does. This is a discussion of what's happening in the comic book. Isn't it?

Also being that we know this far in advance when Darryl will appear I would caution anyone speculating that the issue where he appears will have significant long term value and are contemplating purchasing large quantities of that issue with one simple reminder:

"Rai and the Future Force #9."

So this is a thread about a specific arc of the comic series when there's already a thread about the comic series?

And this is in addition to a thread about how the comic series became a TV show, and a thread about how the creators of the comic series don't like each other, and a thread about artwork for the comic series?

Should be just start a new thread for every single issue of the comic series? Is that where we are headed?

This is further evidence of my statement that this series is unlike any comic series in the history of comics ... The last time a comic spawned a sucessful adult tv series was Batman and the Walking Dead fans are way more dedicated.

It's great that they are dedicated. Based on monthly sales figures, right now, at a time when the show is having great ratings and is being licensed out the , there are only 32,000 copies being printed every month.

It's best to just enjoy this for what it is, a well made television show made from source material we enjoy, and not exaggerate this into the second coming.

Batman fans have kept the series running since the late 1930's, kept it on television in one form or another for most of the last 50 years, and kept it in theaters consistently over the last 23 years....grossing several billion dollars along the way.

In the world of trademark success, marketability, branding, and acceptance Batman would be the king and the Walking Dead would be the noble squire.

Just enjoy it for what it is and try to go with the forum flow regarding superfluous threads.

I'm not going to try to say your main point is wrong, but many fans read The Walking Dead in TPB format, myself being one. And The Walking Dead DOMINATES the TPB charts.

Because when Marvel creates a new character, they are creating a corporate commodity, not telling a story. I seriously doubt there will be another Walking Dead series, I seriously doubt Michonne will be in twelve different series. The difference between the collection of trademarks that make up the MU and DCU are fundamentally different than pretty much every other form of storytelling both inside and outside comics. The long history of hugely popular mainstream crossover isolated independent non super hero comics indicates that the introductions and deaths of all but maybe the character the title is named after will have no significant bump in value. Of course I could be wrong big time, but I don't see this series following the trend of super hero comics. I see it following the trend of the few long running indies with a highly sought after low print run first issue.

Your probably right (and I didn't shell out big bucks for 9.8 copies of 19), but I Daryl's my favorite character (or at least my 2nd favorite character), and I think there are ton of interesting possibilities for his introduction and the 100th issue. What happens to Daryl if he doesn't meet the characters we've come to know and love? I imagine that he is a maniac. Even now he's real rough around the edges. When we were first introduced to him he was a drug addicted, racist lunatic. It's going to be awesome to see what happened to him. In fact, depending on what happened to him, Kirkman could probably do a mini series on his development outside the group. Particularly if he has a moral core when he's introduced in the comic. That would be an interesting story and is comparable to a lot of the antihero comic super hero's tales we see from Marvel and DC.

I'm not going to try to say your main point is wrong, but many fans read The Walking Dead in TPB format, myself being one. And The Walking Dead DOMINATES the TPB charts.

It does dominate trades, but to dominate the trade charts you only need to sell a few thousand copies. Also, when that story broke about how there were 5,000 copies of the #1 trade sold in a month, it coincided with the premiere of the second half of season 2 and was, in part, retailers, stocking up.

Monthly support tells a pretty accurate story of how well the series is doing.

You know you have arrived as a comic character superstar when people start to question the value of your first appearance.

Right now Michonne is owning Deadpool...

Love it...

I remember a time with Turok owned them both...." know when to hold 'em. " :whistle:

You cannot seriously be comparing a creator owned series that has no ties with any other series to a series owned by as major publisher that has ties to many others in a shared universe. Especially a series where death is the only constant and characters don't return from it (yeah, yeah, you know what I mean).

I am saying 2 things.

Superheroes started somewhere to become the juggernaut they are now. Since Batman was mentioned didn't he 1st appear in a series not named after him?

Superheroes aren't always going to be the bees knees. When they fall then what will take their place?

Agreed but superheroes started somewhere and so will whatever replaces superheroes. Maybe not WD but only time will tell.

I am saying 2 things.

Superheroes started somewhere to become the juggernaut they are now. Since Batman was mentioned didn't he 1st appear in a series not named after him?

Superheroes aren't always going to be the bees knees. When they fall then what will take their place?

Interesting thought.

The problem with it being something like "Walking Dead" is that it is, and will always be, and adult program...and R-rated entity if you will.

Given that, it will always have a limited audience, and it will have limited applications to be adapted for children. That limited adaptation limits its overall licensing and marketing reach.

Part of what made Batman, TMNT, Superman, The Muppets, and most other marketing success stories is that they were adaptable or geared towards children, who then grew up and grew into primary consumers of the product and then created their own mini-consumers of the products. It was nearly self-perpetuating and self-renewing.

So it's tough to see something as hard "R" as Walking Dead being able to step into that position without it being destroyed in the attempt to adapt it for an audience for which it was never intended.

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.
TMNT had a pretty popular show

Hmmmm... This argument seems to depreciate your credibility.

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.
TMNT had a pretty popular show

Hmmmm... This argument seems to depreciate your credibility.

I think it's a perfect example. TMNT started as a comic with a limited following and mushroomed into something that had a 10+ year run on television, several motion pictures, several million dollars in licensing sales, and finally a sale for more than $60 million to Nickelodeon.

That's a comic series that was incredibly successful from a marketing and licensing standpoint, and their fans are pretty damn rabid.

How rabid? When the artwork and cover to TMNT #1 came up for sale it sold for $250,000.

That seems to cover the bases, no?

I am saying 2 things.

Interesting thought.

The problem with it being something like "Walking Dead" is that it is, and will always be, and adult program...and R-rated entity if you will.

Given that, it will always have a limited audience, and it will have limited applications to be adapted for children. That limited adaptation limits its overall licensing and marketing reach.

Part of what made Batman, TMNT, Superman, The Muppets, and most other marketing success stories is that they were adaptable or geared towards children, who then grew up and grew into primary consumers of the product and then created their own mini-consumers of the products. It was nearly self-perpetuating and self-renewing.

So it's tough to see something as hard "R" as Walking Dead being able to step into that position without it being destroyed in the attempt to adapt it for an audience for which it was never intended.

Agreed

Much more interesting discussion than the original intent of the thread. ;)

I've brought this up a few times because the general consensus seems to be to buy silver age keys as the 'blue chip' stock. I just don't see them as a forever commodity. WD does have the challenges you mention. Maybe WD becomes a prototype for a milder kid oriented version?

Maybe the superhero is replaced with a more average joe?

For the WD comic what age do you feel it is appropriate for?

Agreed but superheroes started somewhere and so will whatever replaces superheroes. Maybe not WD but only time will tell.

Hopefully it will be good stories instead of character loyalty and hype. Walking Dead is set to be a linear 200 issue story with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Not an endless mish mash of broken continuity for the sake of stirring up sales with re-numberings, deaths and resurrections, and first appearances all for the sake of generating more IP for the corporate portfolio. Picking an issue out of the 200 issue epic would be like picking a page out of Moby to me. You either like all of them or none of them. For the vast majority of people in the market for Walking Dead back issues, I don't see them being more or less interested in issue 19 as they are in issue 20. #1 is a different story, because people who would otherwise just read the trade or a download might want the first issue just to have. That in addition to it's limited print run are the only reasons I see it bringing big bucks, not because it's the first appearance of Rick.