• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculative Predictions for Walking Dead keys?

130 posts in this topic

Early Valiant might be a good comparison. Those first couple years, prices exploded left and right on various issues & titles, especially first appearances. When Shooter left, the storm of speculation fizzled fairly quickly for the company.

Early Valiant might be a good comparison. Those first couple years, prices exploded left and right on various issues & titles, especially first appearances. When Shooter left, the storm of speculation fizzled fairly quickly for the company.

I don't know if it was shooter leaving, or the high end creators leaving, or the fact that they went from print runs of 10,000 or less to over 300,000.

I am willing to bet it was the fact that the bell weather of the collapse was that Rai and The Future Force #9 was printed in numbers large enough that every resident of mainland China could have had a dozen copies to call their own.

i don't compare the Image books being released now with the from the early 90s. For one they're are alot fewer of them.

And these are actually entertaining stories on their own, without a potential profit thrown in the mix. Luther Strode, Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust, Saga, Fatale,etc.. They're enjoyable reading. Isn't it possible that this is Image's golden age releasing so many great reads one after the other.

How do you rank em?

I will try them out on Comixology to see if they are my cup of tea.

I have to actually like a book to get on the wagon. Can`t recommend something that would suck like the majority of the DC 52.

Luther Strode, Saga, Fatale, Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust (in order of what i enjoyed reading, jmo). I'd toss Hell Yeah in there between ToT & PP.

I'm not heavily invested in any of them for future profits. Though i probably wouldn't mind landing a couple double signed copies (SS) of Saga.

Luther Strode, Saga, Fatale, Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust (in order of what i enjoyed reading, jmo). I'd toss Hell Yeah in there between ToT & PP.

thanks I will try them out in the order you suggested. I heard a lot of good things about Luther Strode and Fatale.

I recommended Luther to a friend of mine (not a boardie) and he LOVED it. Bit over the top with the brutality (i think i read he did that on purpose to prove a point) but the story telling made up for it.

There's been much discussion about the crazy prices Walking Dead 1 and other keys have been selling for.

There is no shortage of collectors on the CGC board who say it's currently in a bubble. TWD show is still fairly new with much buzz, and no TV show lasts forever. It's a reasonable position to take that the end of the show will see prices crash, or even perhaps a cooling with the show still airing.

But there are also people who opine otherwise, and I'm wondering if just about all comics who see big spikes have detractors who say it's a bubble, only to have that comic stand the test of time. I can't remember who the poster was, but one boardie said he thinks Walking Dead will retain a large cult following much the same as Star Trek and a few others franchises have. That's possible.

So I'm curious, what are your short and long term predictions for Walking Dead comics and the franchise itself?

Walking Dead comics remind me a lot of the old X-Files comics that were quite expensive when the show was in its heyday. WD comics just seem to be so much more expensive. I do think that once the interest in the show dies off, when the show is eventually cancelled, or that Rick Grimes gets killed off in the comics, the value of the early WD book will drop off. They might still be quite expensive, but not the price in the $1000s that we are seeing right now. 2c

thanks I will try them out in the order you suggested. I heard a lot of good things about Luther Strode and Fatale.

You may also want to try No Place Like Home. A board member is the writer or artist (I'm not sure which). In reference to Thief of Thieves, the first issue is really not that good, but the 2nd issue is much better and Kirkman and Spencer know what they are doing. I think the title has a lot of potential (Spencer writes a book called Morning Glories which is not a bad read as a TPB it gets much better later in the run). If you are not at all familiar with Image (other than the Walking Dead), I would really encourage you to try Chew. The first story arc is exceptional. The other new title that was really good is Manhattan Projects. It's a Jonathan Hickman book and the first issue is a great read. JMHO.

There's been much discussion about the crazy prices Walking Dead 1 and other keys have been selling for.

There is no shortage of collectors on the CGC board who say it's currently in a bubble. TWD show is still fairly new with much buzz, and no TV show lasts forever. It's a reasonable position to take that the end of the show will see prices crash, or even perhaps a cooling with the show still airing.

But there are also people who opine otherwise, and I'm wondering if just about all comics who see big spikes have detractors who say it's a bubble, only to have that comic stand the test of time. I can't remember who the poster was, but one boardie said he thinks Walking Dead will retain a large cult following much the same as Star Trek and a few others franchises have. That's possible.

So I'm curious, what are your short and long term predictions for Walking Dead comics and the franchise itself?

Walking Dead comics remind me a lot of the old X-Files comics that were quite expensive when the show was in its heyday. WD comics just seem to be so much more expensive. I do think that once the interest in the show dies off, when the show is eventually cancelled, or that Rick Grimes gets killed off in the comics, the value of the early WD book will drop off. They might still be quite expensive, but not the price in the $1000s that we are seeing right now. 2c

The big difference is that the X-Files show preceded the comic and the Walking Dead show arose from the comic. It's the first non-mainstream comic that generated a popular television show (sans TMNT which is not really analogous b/c the comic was for adults and it generated a cartoon). I think the WD comic and TV show will be around for some time. I don't know about the value of individual issues, but the first issue of the WD is going to remain a $1000 book.

I did answer it. Then I gave my opinion of the topic. Then you used the age old "don't click if you don't like" phrase. Sorry, doesn't work. You put it out there and I gave my opinion. Nothing personal but the past posts you have made in reference to my topics seem insulting also. It is what it is.

I did answer it. Then I gave my opinion of the topic. Then you used the age old "don't click if you don't like" phrase. Sorry, doesn't work. You put it out there and I gave my opinion. Nothing personal but the past posts you have made in reference to my topics seem insulting also. It is what it is.

No, you really didn't answer my question in the OP.

Absolutely nothing you posted even remotely resembled an answer. I'm not even insisting that you do answer. Just don't say, "I answered your question if you don't like the answer... etc." when you really didn't.

You complained about the question and followed it up with condescending, presumptuous remarks.

What past posts have I made in reference to which one of your topics did you find insulting?

I am going to go with every issue just to make sure I don't miss any...

Question answered. After this I would read the series. There are some issues that will appear stronger then others.

Once the show is over the value will start to bleed out with the new comers trying to flip the books at about the same time and the bubble will burst completely in 6 months so a WD #1 9.8 will go for around $700. Still a slight increase in value since this past fall (that difference is the books increase in value because of the show), but thats my speculation.

Jerome

I am going to go with every issue just to make sure I don't miss any...

Question answered. After this I would read the series. There are some issues that will appear stronger then others.

How does "I'm going to go with every issue" explain your opinion about the future of key Walking Dead keys and the franchise itself? If you think that's really an answer so be it, it's not important.

I'm simply saying that the implications you made about me and the OP were inaccurate and unnecessarily rude.

If somebody asks me for $20 and I say, "Y'know, I earned this money, go make your own $20." and they look at me and say, "You didn't answer the question."...

I'd say, "Yes I did."

But in the interest of forum goodwill I'll say this:

There's no simple answer to what works every time.

Read. Buy. Sell. Listen, but with a selective ear. Rinse and repeat.

Hopefully whatever mistakes you make won't play a part in crippling this hobby as much as the ones people have made in the past.

Weather the storms. Only hoard what you can afford.

Watch out for predators. See thru hype.

Make your own decisions and live or die by them.

In other words, no one who is really good at this is going to give you an answer and the people who DO give you an answer are a) speculating because they don't know either, and want to pretend they do or b) trying to hype something they've invested in themselves.

See the previous paragraph.

It's like the guys on TV trying to sell you a way to 'Unlimited Riches'. It's what they are selling you that's making them rich. Anyone who knows how to make money doesn't go out and share that with anyone.

The best advice I can give anyone is to only buy what you truly enjoy and can afford. In that scenario you can't lose.