• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any chance this was knocked from a 9.6 to a 9.4?

18 posts in this topic

I just purchase a copy of HoM209 from a seller on eBay for a decent sum of money. The book was sent media mail and at least the case was damaged in transit. The book looks ok but I've noticed some minor blunting on the bottom corner where the crack is. Is this enough to downgrade the book? I wouldn't think so but I'm not a grader. I hate when folks charge regular rate for postage and ship media mail. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this one yet.

Thanks in advance for looking.

HoM309Exhibit3.jpg

no in my opinion...that small blunt corner was there before in my opinion before based on what my eyes can tell from the pic on Ebay.

Ah, good catch. That makes it better. (thumbs u

:eek: looks like it's been through the ringer,if it was a 9.6 it could possibly knock it down to a 9.2.

You know, I think you're right. I could sell it to you as a 9.2, right? doh!

:eek: looks like it's been through the ringer,if it was a 9.6 it could possibly knock it down to a 9.2.

Not in my collecting focus. meh

Not in my collecting focus. meh

I understand, I'll find another buyer.

I could but I rarely do that, I'd really like to keep the book its right in my collecting focus...

I'll probably try to get the reholdering fee out of the seller and send it in and have CGC reholder it. One of the few times I sent a book back the seller put the book in an envelope between a couple of flimsy pieces of card board. The case was completely cracked in half and the book was folded as well. The seller was unresponseive and I had to open up a case with eBay to send that one back.

In this case, other than shipping media mail the seller did a fairly competent job packaging the book. (shrug)

The case was damaged in transit and the seller did a competent job packaging the book? I can't imagine the book grading as a 9.6 with that bottom right corner again.

they'll do a re-holder as long as the inner well is intact,right?

If you send it in to be reholdered, it is possible CGC will downgrade it. Quote from their site.....

' All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade.'

I seriously doubt that ding was there at the time of slabbing. I would return this book, the goods have been damaged.

If you send it in to be reholdered, it is possible CGC will downgrade it. Quote from their site.....

' All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade.'

I seriously doubt that ding was there at the time of slabbing. I would return this book, the goods have been damaged.

Thanks Bob, I think you and a couple of the other folks are correct. And now that I think about it the packing wasn't the greatest. It was placed between two pieces of cardboard. but was loose and slid around inside the pieces of cardboard. There was no bubble wrap and just some loose paper as padding, The box it came in was sturdy enough but I'm sure a postal employee threw it against something hard and the loose item inside hit with enough force to shatter the case.

I agree with etanick that corner may have already been soft but I think the impact shattering the case made it worse. Sadly, I think I'm going to request a refund on this one and return to the sender. Thanks for the input.

Joking aside, looks like you are correct on the damage to this book. I just sent in the pictures to CGC for them to take a look and they said this would definitely trigger a reassessment during reholdering with a new grade of 9.4 or even 9.2. :(

Thanks much for the solid intel. (thumbs u

Joking aside, looks like you are correct on the damage to this book. I just sent in the pictures to CGC for them to take a look and they said this would definitely trigger a reassessment during reholdering with a new grade of 9.4 or even 9.2. :(

Thanks much for the solid intel. (thumbs u

Who was joking. (shrug)

Good thing you called them for the extra verification. If it were a minor cosmetic crack in that location it would probably be fine for reholder, but it looks pretty opened up. You don't wanna lose money reholdering plus shipping back to you only to have it downgraded.