• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lexington Comic Con

24 posts in this topic

I went to this show not expecting much. It turned out to be a great one day show. A lack of dealers but wow was that placed packed all day. They already announced a 2 day next year due to the overwhelming attendance.

I got quite a few great books (was mainly after moderns) and had a pretty good time. The top creators were grell and mcleod. The lines for the power ranger originals was immense. Couldn't walk through the isles in middle of afternoon. Was really on the fence about going, but glad i did.

The only boardie I saw was undermoved sp.

Here are some pics i took.

IMAG1872.jpg

IMAG1871.jpg

IMAG1870.jpg

IMAG1869.jpg

IMAG1868.jpg

IMAG1867.jpg

IMAG1866.jpg

IMAG1865.jpg

IMAG1864.jpg

IMAG1863.jpg

IMAG1860.jpg

IMAG1862.jpg

IMAG1861.jpg

IMAG1859.jpg

IMAG1858.jpg

IMAG1857.jpg

IMAG1856.jpg

IMAG1855.jpg

IMAG1854.jpg

IMAG1853.jpg

IMAG1852.jpg

IMAG1851.jpg

IMAG1850.jpg

IMAG1849.jpg

IMAG1848.jpg

IMAG1847.jpg

IMAG1846.jpg

IMAG1845.jpg

IMAG1844.jpg

IMAG1843.jpg

IMAG1842.jpg

IMAG1841.jpg

IMAG1840.jpg

IMAG1839.jpg

IMAG1836.jpg

IMAG1838.jpg

IMAG1837.jpg

IMAG1835.jpg

IMAG1834.jpg

IMAG1833.jpg

IMAG1832.jpg

IMAG1831.jpg

IMAG1830.jpg

IMAG1829.jpg

IMAG1828.jpg

IMAG1827.jpg

IMAG1826.jpg

IMAG1825.jpg

IMAG1824.jpg

IMAG1823.jpg

IMAG1822.jpg

IMAG1821.jpg

IMAG1820.jpg

IMAG1819.jpg

IMAG1815.jpg

IMAG1814.jpg

IMAG1813.jpg

Picked up some decent books

Morning Glories 1

Hulk 340

Wolverine 1

Here's some other stuff I grabbed cheap.

IMAG1875.jpg

IMAG1874.jpg

IMAG1873.jpg

they advertised the out of the lexington area and on facebook. they did some cross promoting with derby city con. I was stunned at the number of people. Tons more people than I saw last year at gem city and derby.

Woohoo we're finally on the map. Yea this was advertised on the news, through Rupp Arena, and the news paper as well as facebook. It was a lot of fun only having to drive 10 minutes and not pay for parking.

uhh, maybe they should try advertising. I live in KY and this is the first I have heard about it.
+1, I'm right up the road in Ohio and I didn't have any idea. I would have driven down for it.
+2, I'm about 3 hours away but would have driven down to it......

I went and thought it was generally a good show.

I wish more comic (not toy) dealers had been there, especially with more silver and golden age books. And some of the ones who were there were unorganized. It hapens all the time for local shows, but I am always stunned when someone goes to the trouble of setting up at a show, but will not go to the trouble of actually organizing their comics by title. I really don't want to stand there flipping through 1000 random books to see if there is anything scattered in the drek that I want to buy. I'm just a collector, but my books are organized. I cannot imagine trying to be a dealer but not going to the trouble of sitting down to organize what I have before a show.

It also was way too crowded. There were times I was just standing still because of log jams in the aisles. They need more space next year so the crowd can move.

In short, I am impatient and grumpy.

I enjoyed the show. The first few hours it was packed I could barely move around. I will add some pics later tonight if you dont mind.

Glad someone got those MM24s I thought about it and left them at one booth. I bought some VVSS books from the same booth, but got busy with something else and left those MM24s like a dummy.

Most of the shops in the area were under the impression it wouldnt be a good show though. I probably went into the best laid out comic shop I have been in the country in Lexington. Collectibles Etc.. they had couches for kids, leather chairs for adults, a middle section of the shop primarily of TPBs, intro reader books as you walk in the shop, a section of comics for kids and a back issue BIN. I told the employee it was the best laid out shop I have ever seen.

I went and thought it was generally a good show.

I wish more comic (not toy) dealers had been there, especially with more silver and golden age books. And some of the ones who were there were unorganized. It hapens all the time for local shows, but I am always stunned when someone goes to the trouble of setting up at a show, but will not go to the trouble of actually organizing their comics by title. I really don't want to stand there flipping through 1000 random books to see if there is anything scattered in the drek that I want to buy. I'm just a collector, but my books are organized. I cannot imagine trying to be a dealer but not going to the trouble of sitting down to organize what I have before a show.

It also was way too crowded. There were times I was just standing still because of log jams in the aisles. They need more space next year so the crowd can move.

In short, I am impatient and grumpy.

Sounds to me like they should've made sure to let Dale know about the show.

Both your pet peeves would've been solved if he had set up:

-Vintage Books? Check

-Very well organized booth? Check

collectibles, etc is where I go, the rest are junk.

How could any sane person leave 3 mm 24 in a dollar box lol. J/K

that booth also had a bunch of knightfall, knightsearch etc. Ended up getting 16 total books for $10. Think the MM's paid for themselves.

collectibles, etc is where I go, the rest are junk.

How could any sane person leave 3 mm 24 in a dollar box lol. J/K

that booth also had a bunch of knightfall, knightsearch etc. Ended up getting 16 total books for $10. Think the MM's paid for themselves.

Yeah I think it was same booth because I got two Valiant VVSS(Shadowman and Psi Lords I think), 3 Valiant Super Mario/NES comics, MM 8 and 14, and a some other oddball books for like $8.00. I had the MM24s and got distracted by something else. At least now I dont have to track him down.

Also found a X-men 423 price variant($1), NM 98 NM- ($30), several walking dead and weekly's for $1 or $2, Spawn 116-150 for $17, ASM 400 Newstand for $.50 and several other books. I was kid in a candy store at one point.

We might want to talk Knightfall, knighquest too because I picked I know at least 25 issues at 1/2 price books there. Not enough to make the set, but all seemed VF/NM or so at least.

Did you see the guy that had the Walking Deads, 3 Veng of Banes among other nice moderns? He had a little corner area, but man he had alot of nice books.

First off, please accept my apologies to those of you who did not know about our con last year. We spent 8 months attempting to penetrate the local market in Lexington, hitting other semi-local cons, handing out 10K flyers, and building a social media following and felt like we did an excellent job at getting the word out.

In all honesty, had we done any better, we would have been shut down by the fire marshall because the crowd of customers overwelmed us as it was..

We were staffed for and expected 2500 attendees. Everyone told me I was nuts and that we would never get that many. Total door was just over 4100 paid adults + children.

All that said, I am still sorry you guys didn't hear about us in time to join us. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

Our 2013 dates ar March 16-17th and we are in Heritage Ballroom, Heritage Hall Center, Heritage Hall East, and all four Elkhorn rooms of the Lexington Convention Center.

We have doubled our floor plan next year and will have upwards of 400 booths.

Our headlining guests are Billy Dee Williams (Lando), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi). We will also have Jason David Frank (Tommy the Green Ranger) back as well as adding a few other Power Rangers to the mix. In total we expect upwards of (40) comic and media guests. We will run panels all day both days on various topics. A current guest list is on our site at www.lexingtoncomiccon.com

We are attracting MUCH more attention this year so I expect booth space to sell out pretty far in advance of the show. That said, if you want a table, dont wait too long. They are available now for purchase through our website at www.lexingtoncomiccon.com. 80% of last this years exhibitors have already signed up and paid for next years booths.

Admission will go on sale on September 1st - VIP admissions will be available that will get you several perks including getting in an hour early each day. Those will also sell out pretty fast as the number of VIPs is limited. They sold out a month before the con last year, I expect them to sell out within weeks of going on sale this year...

For those of you who came out and supported us this year, THANK YOU! There is no reason that Lexington cannot support one of the biggest shows in the midwest and we are quickly getting there. With your continued help and support we will do big things here...

To those who missed out - come and see us on March 16-17th 2013. I think you will be amazed with what we have done in a town that lots of people told me would never support a con of this size.

And now you know-

Jarrod -

Lexington Comic & Toy Convention

March 16-17th 2013

Lexington Convention Center

www.lexingtoncomiccon.com