• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

Interesting piece on CBS

And excuse......... if someone has already posted

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57404088/collectors-lament-baseballs-house-of-cards/

Yes. Took me a while to find the video, but if you click on page one, at the very, very, ver, very, top of the page, the very, very, very, very first post in this thread is the link to the same video.

Interesting piece on CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57404088/collectors-lament-baseballs-house-of-cards/

Yes. Took me a while to find the video, but if you click on page one, at the very, very, ver, very, top of the page, the very, very, very, very first post in this thread is the link to the same video.

Figured so.............but didn't go back to look doh!

Arex,

You know i got nothing but love for ya pal, but we did the National show a few years ago in Chicago and the number of people that attended was not nearly the amount from the past. I do a lot of comic conventions accross the country and can usually guage the attendence. The National show had 8000-9000 people tops accross the 5 or so days. That being said, most of them were spending money, albeit nickel and diming every dealer to get the best price, but you really cant blame them for that.

The difference between sportscard shows and comic shows is that there are comics that people want that only a few dealers might have, say an AF 15 in 5.0. In the big sportscard shows someone might be looking for a 52 Topps Mantle and there are literally 10-15 dealers that have them in the same grade. So bargain hunting is understandable. Even with what i deal in, supplies, there are 10 different supply dealers at the show. Of course, i have the best product at the best price with the best customer service so it doesnt affect me really :)

The only publicity the major sportscard shows get really is whatever MastroNet is being sued for this time,

Jeff

I know Jeff, Im not arguing that the card market is as large as it was in the late 80s and early 90s. Never said that.

What I have been trying to do is let people know, people who with the exception of a few who still dabble, that the card hobby is not anywhere near dead. It is a thriving, albeit smaller, market that people enjoy and are actively participating in.

I think you make an excellent point on prices for cards. There are still a lot of cards from any particular year available. I would say it is a much larger number than comics.

Add to that the fact that there are still large amounts of unopened product and the possibility for more cards to continue to enter the market suppresses prices.

And yes, you have the best supplies, prices, and customer service anywhere. Steve really does a great job for you on that end :baiting:

Then i agree. To me, collecting cards is still "fun." As long as people still think its fun, the card market will never go away.

P.S. I just fired Steve.

Steve was the only fun guy you had at your booth.

Arex,

You know i got nothing but love for ya pal, but we did the National show a few years ago in Chicago and the number of people that attended was not nearly the amount from the past. I do a lot of comic conventions accross the country and can usually guage the attendence. The National show had 8000-9000 people tops accross the 5 or so days. That being said, most of them were spending money, albeit nickel and diming every dealer to get the best price, but you really cant blame them for that.

The difference between sportscard shows and comic shows is that there are comics that people want that only a few dealers might have, say an AF 15 in 5.0. In the big sportscard shows someone might be looking for a 52 Topps Mantle and there are literally 10-15 dealers that have them in the same grade. So bargain hunting is understandable. Even with what i deal in, supplies, there are 10 different supply dealers at the show. Of course, i have the best product at the best price with the best customer service so it doesnt affect me really :)

The only publicity the major sportscard shows get really is whatever MastroNet is being sued for this time,

Jeff

I know Jeff, Im not arguing that the card market is as large as it was in the late 80s and early 90s. Never said that.

What I have been trying to do is let people know, people who with the exception of a few who still dabble, that the card hobby is not anywhere near dead. It is a thriving, albeit smaller, market that people enjoy and are actively participating in.

I think you make an excellent point on prices for cards. There are still a lot of cards from any particular year available. I would say it is a much larger number than comics.

Add to that the fact that there are still large amounts of unopened product and the possibility for more cards to continue to enter the market suppresses prices.

And yes, you have the best supplies, prices, and customer service anywhere. Steve really does a great job for you on that end :baiting:

Then i agree. To me, collecting cards is still "fun." As long as people still think its fun, the card market will never go away.

P.S. I just fired Steve.

Steve was the only fun guy you had at your booth.

Now i just kicked him.

Interesting piece on CBS

Figured so.............but didn't go back to look doh!

lol its all good. Actually, this entire thread is quite interesting. Worth the read.

Now i just kicked him.

I want video footage of lashes crying.

Your next Roy. But i wont feel bad when i do it.

:ohnoez:

You think you're tough after getting kicked out of a restaurant?

Now i just kicked him.

Actually the meal was on them because i told them it was. Emeril thanked me and prepared it himself.

Now i just kicked him.

Actually the meal was on them because i told them it was. Emeril thanked me and prepared it himself.

I'd meet you to fight it out in Seattle but you were too cheap to go.

:baiting:

Nice retort asss clown (You are a member, according to your sigline)

:cloud9:

I gave you an opinion and you ignored it. I told you what I knew about my area. That area being the state of NC, the fact there are large shows across the US constantly, and that there are many viable active message boards.

Ebay is a major outlet for cards. There are major auctions monthly. Auctions on the Clink/Heritage/CC size scale.

So, again, i get to not use my evidence but you get to use yours, even though you have nothing to do with the hobby?

Sorry, doesnt work that way.

And in regard to the F off comment, well, you wouldnt like the way I held the back of your head, so no thanks :thumbsup:

Oh please. Nice victim card you played there. I ignored your opinion and evidence? You totally dismissed mine. Perhaps because it contradicted what you said? hmlol

Oh, I'm sorry, because I'm no longer actively collecting my input doesn't count. From now on I'll remember that I'm not to annoy the "expert" unless I become more intimately involved in the hobby at large and build a vast knowledge bank from which to draw on before I state anything even remotely considered to be an opinion on the subject. Would you prefer that I run all my comments through you beforehand? :eyeroll:

Well, I've just finished reading all 40 pages of this thread and I have three questions for the group at large here.

1. Is Topps still making simple basebard cards like I used to buy in the mid 70's and what is the price for a complete set?

2. Is Topps still the dominant card maker or is there someone else?

3. What happened to stamp collecting and when did it happen? Is it not a viable hobby anymore?

As long as the comic book industry has The Walking Dead it can never burst like the sports card industry did. :fear:

Really though as mentioned apples to oranges. Sports cards priced average folks out of the market. Comics are getting more expensive off the shelves sure, but still 1 comic in a lot of cases is less than a single pack of sports cards.

Now i just kicked him.

I'd meet you to fight it out in Seattle but you were too cheap to go.

:baiting:

Oh you think this would be a fight. :roflmao: x 20

Ill see you at C2E2.

By the way, we shipped your stuff today.