• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

Part of the trick is social acceptance...

There are a lot more CEO offices (translation: people with large amounts of disposable income for showing off "treasures) decorated with Sports Memorabilia than there are ones decorated with Comic Book memorabilia....

Which i think helps keep the Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio (icons) game used market afloat....

I have a very real problem with this "game used" memorabilia business. It's hero worship; it's like being a groupie.

I don't idolize the players on my cards. I collect them for a combination of nostalgia and aesthetic reasons. The bottom line to me is that cards are kid stuff, and I make no bones about being a collector of kid stuff. If the cards weren't kid stuff, they just wouldn't have the charm for me.

(shrug)

My executive offices are decorated with both (as well as some fine examples of contemporary art, including about 11 works by my 6 year old when he was 3). On one wall I have a framed copy of Tracy Large Feature Comic #8 and on another wall I have some neat early 40's Joe Dimaggio Camel cigarette ads framed. People are usually drawn to Joe D. over T. One of these days I'd like to put some OA up, but right now the cost of a good framing job is holding me back on that. "Decorating" a corner of my office is also about 8 magazine boxes worth of comics I haven't bothered draggin home yet.

It is D*I*C*K* Tracy for any of you who are confused by the *spoon*

It`s sad how that character has become not relevant now. I was reading some Chester Gould Tracy collection books by IDW, and the Tracy stories of the 1940s blew away the modern DC 52 Batman comics I had just read!

;)

Young's collection includes some of the finest one-of-a-kind GEM MINT rookie cards in existence, including:

The only 1955 Roberto Clemente Topps rookie card ever graded PSA 10 Gem Mint. Value $250,000+

A 1954 Hank Aaron Topps Rookie card PSA 10 Gem Mint - One of only two cards have ever been graded PSA 10. Value $250,000+

The only 1963 Pete Rose Topps rookie card ever graded PSA 10 Gem Mint. Value $75,000+

The only 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson Topps rookie card ever graded Gem Mint 10. Value $30,000+

:o:o:o:o

I read this article in the SMR magazine a few years ago. He is finally putting his collection up for auction, and for a good cause, not cause he needs the money. AWESOME COLLECTION he has here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dmitri-youngs-complete-collection-baseball-204900697.html

Jeff

What a great thread! How did I miss this one? I'll have to go back and read through it.

Informative article about Dmitri Young. I remember him as a rookie being teased by other players because he was always after signed bats and balls. Now he's auctioning off a great collection for a noble cause.

Maybe he'll use some of the proceeds to bail out his brother. ;)

I read this article in the SMR magazine a few years ago. He is finally putting his collection up for auction, and for a good cause, not cause he needs the money. AWESOME COLLECTION he has here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dmitri-youngs-complete-collection-baseball-204900697.html

Jeff

What a great thread! How did I miss this one? I'll have to go back and read through it.

Informative article about Dmitri Young. I remember him as a rookie being teased by other players because he was always after signed bats and balls. Now he's auctioning off a great collection for a noble cause.

If you have the time, this thread is definitly worth a read.

Yeah, seems like Delmon is the complete opposite of his brother.

I think one of the largest differences between comics and baseball cards is in the numbers printed. I remember back in the early 90s a dealer and I were able to buy a lot of Steve Avery rookie cards for like .07c each in lots of 1,000. I think even at that time, it would have been tough to buy 7 or 8,000 copies of any comic like Spawn 1.

now, as for the walking dead/Tom Brady rookie card, for every copy of WD1, I bet there is at least 1,000 copies of the Brady rookie which is why even in 30 years time, it won't be worth lot as every " investor "could have hundreds at least of them.

That being said, I have been out of cards for a while and things such as the mass numbers being printed may have changed and as of now, the one big thing comics has for it, is the low print runs on some of the popular titles.

Compare Steve Avery to any common comic from the 90's and you have the same situation. There are certain cards now that have the same low print run as comics im sure. I too, have stopped collecting newer cards so im out of the loop on that. I am a Pre-1975 collector now.

I think one of the largest differences between comics and baseball cards is in the numbers printed. I remember back in the early 90s a dealer and I were able to buy a lot of Steve Avery rookie cards for like .07c each in lots of 1,000. I think even at that time, it would have been tough to buy 7 or 8,000 copies of any comic like Spawn 1.

now, as for the walking dead/Tom Brady rookie card, for every copy of WD1, I bet there is at least 1,000 copies of the Brady rookie which is why even in 30 years time, it won't be worth lot as every " investor "could have hundreds at least of them.

That being said, I have been out of cards for a while and things such as the mass numbers being printed may have changed and as of now, the one big thing comics has for it, is the low print runs on some of the popular titles.

Yes, but there is some hyperplasmic chromium stem cell/DNA version of his RC that is very very rare I am sure.

I see in my local cards dime boxes RCs of schilling, Randy Johnson, Shefield, I think alomar...a bunch of HOFers who came out that year, huge #s printed, nobody cares about them (now, it's true, none of those guys have fans who really LOVE them, though I guess Schilling might have a few chowderheads)

Compare Steve Avery to any common comic from the 90's and you have the same situation. There are certain cards now that have the same low print run as comics im sure. I too, have stopped collecting newer cards so im out of the loop on that. I am a Pre-1975 collector now.

Except New Mutants 98. The book that defies pricing logic on all levels.

"I think even at that time, it would have been tough to buy 7 or 8,000 copies of any comic like Spawn 1."

Not if you were a shop ordering them for the month it was coming out.

True, not 7,000 copies, but my friend who owned a comic shop burned himself a few times with buying 1-2,000 copies of the same book (he might have been over 2,000 with X-Men 1) and getting stuck with many of them. No doubt he could have ordered 7,000 were he crazy enough (and ordering 7,000 spawn 1s would have been a money maker...provided you did a lot of shows and what not and were willing to move them 3 or 4 for $10).

I have been told (and have no reason not to believe) that a big local NYC dealer ordered something like 10,000 copies each of X-Men 137, 150 and avengers Annual 10 when they came out 30 years ago.

Jeff

Cool story - Dimitri sounds like a great guy and a very knowlegable collector. I've been out of that hobby so long I didn't even know he was a major player in it.

Jeff

He's apparently a very well-liked guy in baseball. I think he was trying to make a comeback this year, but as I don't see him on any roster or in the minors, I guess it didn't work out. Pretty good hitter..just lacked the power of many of his contemporaries in the video game scores/steroids era.---better than his brother who was the #1 overall pick.

Yes, but there is some hyperplasmic chromium stem cell/DNA version of his RC that is very very rare I am sure.

I see in my local cards dime boxes RCs of schilling, Randy Johnson, Shefield, I think alomar...a bunch of HOFers who came out that year, huge #s printed, nobody cares about them (now, it's true, none of those guys have fans who really LOVE them, though I guess Schilling might have a few chowderheads)

exactly, except I think this was a bit before the steroid urine sample cards were starting to come out. that's pretty much what drove me out of that hobby. that and the realization that none of the stuff I owned at the time except for a few pre 1970 cards, were going to be worth anything as if a player got hot, suddenly all these tens of thousands of horded cards will come flooding out. Its the same with those super high print run comics from the 90's. As I have just started buying comics again, I dont know how much lower they are now or if they are close to the same.