• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upcoming Heritage Auction

99 posts in this topic

It is a shame when somebody, who gets so excited get buyers remorse after the auction. The billy books are good, if 15 are back on the market that makes it about5% rejects, so be it, BUT the real issue is did those no good people bid on other books that they did not win, we will never know. The issue is the book or the price, if you want the book and you win it...so be it

It is a shame when somebody, who gets so excited get buyers remorse after the auction. The billy books are good, if 15 are back on the market that makes it about5% rejects, so be it, BUT the real issue is did those no good people bid on other books that they did not win, we will never know. The issue is the book or the price, if you want the book and you win it...so be it

I will make one brief comment on the Billy Books. If you are thinking about buying a the Billy Book, then you should buy said the Billy Book. The Billy Books are unique in their Billytude and must be treated as such. People who think about buying a the Billy Book and actually don't buy said the Billy Book are lacking in their Billytude and are to be shunned by all people who know and understand what a the Billy Book means to the world at large. (thumbs u

So there are that many deadbeat nonpaying bidders out there...?

And they all like bidding against me apparently...

I find it extremely frustrating to find many books getting re-listed in consecutive auctions. I had to go to the mat for the books I wanted. I wanted them. I did my homework. I abide by the rules and regulations of bidding. And I paid.

Now how many of these inflated prices were pushed up by those who didn't do their homework? If you drove up the prices legitimate collectors had to pay without the intention of making good on your bid, please stand up. I am sure my taxes are already supporting your habit of not paying your other bills..

How do we know these deadbeats aren't "pseudo friends" of the Heritage family? (employees)?

Something smells fishy.

Given the prices the books went for, I think it is easier to believe that someone bid more than they could pay. If Heritage employees bought them and are putting them up for auction so soon, that would be foolish since most/all of the books will probably sell for less the second time around.

It's a sign you're a serious collector if you bid $80,000 for a Detective 29 and then realize you don't have the money to pay for it.

I once had a non-paying bidder through Heritage on a high dollar book. It happens.

Hey Richard,

I always assumed that was the reason you would use an auction house like Heritage, to avoid situations like this. I've alway heard the "your bid is legally binding" and figured it was just that. Does Heritage push the issue or is it just not worth the effort?

So there are that many deadbeat nonpaying bidders out there...?

And they all like bidding against me apparently...

I find it extremely frustrating to find many books getting re-listed in consecutive auctions. I had to go to the mat for the books I wanted. I wanted them. I did my homework. I abide by the rules and regulations of bidding. And I paid.

Now how many of these inflated prices were pushed up by those who didn't do their homework? If you drove up the prices legitimate collectors had to pay without the intention of making good on your bid, please stand up. I am sure my taxes are already supporting your habit of not paying your other bills..

How do we know these deadbeats aren't "pseudo friends" of the Heritage family? (employees)?

Something smells fishy.

Are you alluding to shill bidding? hm

I once had a non-paying bidder through Heritage on a high dollar book. It happens.

Hey Richard,

I always assumed that was the reason you would use an auction house like Heritage, to avoid situations like this. I've alway heard the "your bid is legally binding" and figured it was just that. Does Heritage push the issue or is it just not worth the effort?

I'm sure there is some legalese that applies. But the folks I deal with at Heritage were very upfront with me about the situation. It was cool. I got the book back and later sold it so no problem. I might have been able to push the issue and make them take the hit, but I don't like to do things that way.

Hey Richard,

I'm sure there is some legalese that applies. But the folks I deal with at Heritage were very upfront with me about the situation. It was cool. I got the book back and later sold it so no problem. I might have been able to push the issue and make them take the hit, but I don't like to do things that way.

If their lawyers are smart, and I suspect they are, there's probably a disclaimer in the consignment agreement that would protect them from having to pay as long as they made a suitable attempt to hold the bidder accountable. I doubt the bidder would get a second chance to participate in their auctions unless it was deemed a "mis-bid" on their part. By mis-bid I'm referring to an errant bid resulting from a software bug, internet lag etc.

I've found out that folks backing out of auction purchases is pretty routine. I had nearly a dozen when I sold off my X-men set.

That`s pretty shocking. I know a few purchasers back out every now and then, but thought it was relatively rare. I`ve sold a decent number of books on Heritage and never had a single bad bidder, even when lots of record-breaking prices were being paid.

Most of the Billy Wright re-listed books have been re-subbed, so I don't think they are due to people not paying, but rather to flippers trying to make a profit.

There are 27 Billy Wright books in the May auction.

These 4 are brand new, never auctioned before:

-Action 35

-Action 38

-Adventure 51

-All-Star 6

Of the remaining 23, 3 of them have the same serial number as when first sold. They could be straight flips, or maybe the buyers did back out.

-Action 34

-Batman 6

-More Fun 38

The remaining 20 books all have new serial numbers, so they have been re-subbed and possibly pressed.

Of those 20, 16 came back with the exact same grade and page quality.

-Action 19

-Action 30

-Action 36

-Adventure 40

-Adventure 61

-All-American 19

-Batman 5

-Detective 17

-Detective 18

-Detective 30

-Detective 34

-Detective 41

-Marvel Mystery 12

-More Fun 55

-More Fun 61

-Planet 1

The remaining 4 books did receive a grade bump.

-Detective 28 (8.0 to 8.5)

-Detective 29 (7.0 to 7.5)

-Detective 40 (9.0 to 9.2)

-More Fun 33 (6.5 to 7.0)

None of the books received a grade decrease.

None of the books received a page quality increase or decrease.

Hi everyone!

Here’s the deal……

A number of Billy Wright books were bought and paid for by a private collector (not Heritage, and not any Heritage employee or owner) hoping to get them upgraded. As you can see he was successful on some, on most he wasn’t, and they’re being re-consigned by him to this upcoming Signature auction.

As to non paying bidders, that does indeed happen, but very rarely. We do have safeguards in place for this, but once in awhile, like every auction house in the world, someone does not live up to their end of the bargain. These people are not allowed to bid again in our auctions. There are, however, times when tragedy strikes; death, severe illness, house burns down, etc, (you get it.). We at Heritage, while trying to do the very best we can for all our consigners, are not heartless, and we would not want to put more burden on these bidders and the families in those very rare cases.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

A number of Billy Wright books were bought and paid for by a private collector hoping to get them upgraded. As you can see he was successful on some, on most he wasn’t, and they’re being re-consigned by him to this upcoming Signature auction.

Part of the allure of the BW books was their untouched, OO aspect. Now that at least some of the books have passed into the realm of manipulation, I do hope that the "private collector" takes a bath.

Does he really think that other collectors with the wherewithal to be interested in these books aren't aware of the crack-and-resub game, and the generally unfavorable sales history of such books being auctioned immediately after they had just been sold?

What a dipstick - greed knows no bounds, does it.

You don't think it could be our resident 'Billy' fan, do you?

That blowhard? Not a chance... more likely one of the usual suspects out to drill us.

Unless he's carnival barking for a buddy...