• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out here is this really a X-men 94 9.8?

106 posts in this topic

Oak why would I spend 12k on a book with this many questionable flaws on the FRONT cover?

Roy's reputation has nothing to do with the questionable defects on this book. I said in a previous post good for Roy he has a 9.8 graded CGC issue.

Stop trying to twist my comment/observation into some sort of personal grudge against Roy.

I'm merely pointing out how in the world did CGC grade this book and give it a 9.8?

Let's be honest,were you even looking to spend that kind of money on an X-Men94? I'm just saying if Roy says it's a beautiful book I believe him.Nothing more,nothing less.Not trying to twist words here.

What Roy says is irrelevant here. The book was graded by CGC as a 9.8 is what's in question. A 9.8 issue is suppose to be nearly flawless and I don't see that being the case here.

No of course I wasn't looking to spend 12K but I was looking to see what X-men 94 9.8's sold for on E-bay as a baseline to formulate how much I reasonably should expect to pay for one.

I'm looking to purchase one and saw this one is on E-bay. I couldn't blow this up but closely around Count Nefaria's word bubble and to the right of his head.

Are those several stress marks? CGC 9.8 really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-9-8-OWW-1st-app-New-X-men-in-title-Highest-Graded-/280836229196?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item416324c84c

I think that's our Roy.

Printer's creases don't affect the grade btw.

I'm looking to purchase one and saw this one is on E-bay. I couldn't blow this up but closely around Count Nefaria's word bubble and to the right of his head.

Are those several stress marks? CGC 9.8 really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-9-8-OWW-1st-app-New-X-men-in-title-Highest-Graded-/280836229196?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item416324c84c

You are allowed defects in CGC 9.8 from what I know about their grading standards. They just need to be small. If there were no defects, it wouldn't be a 9.8, it would be a 10.0.

Those are small spine ticks. The rest of the book is sharp and flawless from what I remember.

There is some scanner artifact as well (looks like the scanner was dirty) but yes, it's a CGC 9.8.

It says so on the label.

:D

There you are. Are they printer's creases or a smudge on the case?

:hi:

I'm merely pointing out how in the world did CGC grade this book and give it a 9.8?

As I've said many times on this forum, there is more to grading a book than just defects you can see in a 2 dimensional scan. There is smell, feel, gloss, suppleness, resilience and many other characteristics (positive and negative) to take into account when grading a book besides just colour breaking defects.

If I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on a group of 3 trained people inspecting the book in hand rather than a person inspecting a 2 dimensional scan on the internet to determine the grade of the comic.

Like I posted previously in this thread, there is some scanner artifact (ghost artifact showing up in the scan) including smudges that were likely made from finger prints and smudges on the scanner's glass bed that showed up in the scan.

Anyhow, that is why I rarely sell ungraded books anymore. I don't want to have to justify or argue the grade with anyone. I'd rather just pay an independent, trusted party to provide a grade, show a scan and let people make their own independent decisions.

If you are interested in the book, feel free to make an offer. If not, feel free to pass it by.

That's it from my end, folks.

I think what I'm seeing next to the Count's head is more in line with what Roy is talking about than surface stress marks on the book itself.

As for the spine, based on the scan, I can only see 1 very small tick...

As I've said many times on this forum, there is more to grading a book than just defects you can see in a 2 dimensional scan. There is smell, feel, gloss, suppleness, resilience and many other characteristics (positive and negative) to take into account when grading a book besides just colour breaking defects.

If I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on a group of 3 trained people inspecting the book in hand rather than a person inspecting a 2 dimensional scan on the internet to determine the grade of the comic.

Like I posted previously in this thread, there is some scanner artifact (ghost artifact showing up in the scan) including smudges that were likely made from finger prints and smudges on the scanner's glass bed that showed up in the scan.

Anyhow, that is why I rarely sell ungraded books anymore. I don't want to have to justify or argue the grade with anyone. I'd rather just pay an independent, trusted party to provide a grade, show a scan and let people make their own independent decisions.

If you are interested in the book, feel free to make an offer. If not, feel free to pass it by.

That's it from my end, folks.

Are you Roy? If so I hope you're not taking my comments personally. If so, I apologize.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your comment "If I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on a group of 3 trained people inspecting the book in hand rather than a person inspecting a 2 dimensional scan on the Internet to determine the grade of the comic."

That said, the book is graded at 9.8 however if those are scanner defects it sure doesn't give the book justice as book appeal is the ultimate contributor to the sell of such a high value book. I guess I'm just picky but the two dimensional scan is all buyers have to go by in evaluating it...with no scan of the back cover I might add. Just my opinion here.

I wouldn't consider making an offer unless the scan was cleaned up and a backside pic was added.

I think what I'm seeing next to the Count's head is more in line with what Roy is talking about than surface stress marks on the book itself.

As for the spine, based on the scan, I can only see 1 very small tick...

Not bad for a book with a dark backround and 37 years old.

Oak why would I spend 12k on a book with this many questionable flaws on the FRONT cover?

Roy's reputation has nothing to do with the questionable defects on this book. I said in a previous post good for Roy he has a 9.8 graded CGC issue.

Stop trying to twist my comment/observation into some sort of personal grudge against Roy.

DON'T BUY IT!! If you feel CGC missed on this than use the EYEBALL test and don't buy what you don't like. I have a CGC 9.0 at home and I think it is a 7.5. I would not have bought it had I seen the details better.

On the other hand if I was Roy, I would be getting that puppy sold ASAP since CGC says it's a 9.8 then he should get EXCELLENT money for it!!

Like the Hulk #181 I sent in and came back a 7.5 and I thought it was 5.5/6.0 so I sold it and got good money and picked up a different one nicer for less!!

DON'T BUY IT!! If you feel CGC missed on this than use the EYEBALL test and don't buy what you don't like. I have a CGC 9.0 at home and I think it is a 7.5. I would not have bought it had I seen the details better.

On the other hand if I was Roy, I would be getting that puppy sold ASAP since CGC says it's a 9.8 then he should get EXCELLENT money for it!!

Like the Hulk #181 I sent in and came back a 7.5 and I thought it was 5.5/6.0 so I sold it and got good money and picked up a different one nicer for less!!

You're a smart man. Just like I said in my previous post, eye appeal is everything ESPECIALLY for such a high grade/value key book. Roy would probably be best served to take your advice.

Like you, I'm not into sugar coating things. Some people hate to hear the truth and simply can't handle it without saying they are pizzed off somehow.

We gave our friendly advice now it's time to move on.

Thanks for your input, most appreciated.

remember your Hulk 181 where just about everyone undergraded that book? Heck I thought I saw flaws that aren't there and gave the book 7.0?

I didn't see anyone there calling for CGC's head for overgrading that book right?

Heck, disagreeing with CGC happen all the times because it is the nature of the beast. Thankfully, there are enough top left number label chasers out there to move just about any books, regardless if one or many disagree with the grades.

as far as this book, the printer creases on/near the head of the Count is what they are. I have seen many 9.8 slabs with printer creases but there are a ton of people out there that still don't know what a printer crease is and whether it will impact grading. I can't say about the other flaws since the scan is too small or not clear enough. It is a nice book with razor sharp edges and conners.

remember your Hulk 181 where just about everyone undergraded that book? Heck I thought I saw flaws that aren't there and gave the book 7.0?

I didn't see anyone there calling for CGC's head for overgrading that book right?

Heck, disagreeing with CGC happen all the times because it is the nature of the beast. Thankfully, there are enough top left number label chasers out there to move just about any books, regardless if one or many disagree with the grades.

as far as this book, the printer creases on/near the head of the Count is what they are. I have seen many 9.8 slabs with printer creases but there are a ton of people out there that still don't know what a printer crease is and whether it will impact grading. I can't say about the other flaws since the scan is too small or not clear enough. It is a nice book with razor sharp edges and conners.

Thanks for your comment. Yes I remember about my Hulk 181 which is a 9.2 but a 9.8 is suppose to be nearly flawless correct?

Your right about printer creases. I was always under the impression if they are there, the issue isn't down-graded due to the fact the all copies in the market have the the same flaw. You know I have a X-men 94 too (which was the reason I was looking at 9.8's to possibly upgrade mine) and my copy doesn't have any creases like that so it's not a "production flaw." I understand about creases not breaking color but that is another topic.

Again, this is nothing personal against Roy, Oak or anyone else on here so please don't take it that way. I said in my previous post, I'll give the book grade a benefit of a doubt but you said yourself the scan hardly gives the book any justice and most high grade buyers put more stock into eye appeal than grade alone.

Good seeing you on here again!

Nick, I could be wrong but I don't think the book has any printer creases.

Again, it's just a dirty scanner bed. That scan was actually made for my by someone else.

I'll update the scan when I get off the road.