• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out here is this really a X-men 94 9.8?

106 posts in this topic

The OP was starting to pizz me off last night,thinking to myself "why is he such a doosh"

I'm really concerned about your feelings Oak...truly I am. :angel:

Man dude,you are a ball buster. :P

Still waiting to hear what that line through Colossus and Storms leg is.

Scratch on cover? Hair? Scratch on cover? What is it?

It's on the book. It's a honking big scratch from when I read it on the toilet before I sent it in to be graded.

This book was supposed to grade a CGC 6.5 but CGC made a mistake. They flipped the 6, cut it in half and added it to the 5 and put a 9.8 on the label by mistake.

:makepoint:

I inspected this book at Mega-Con. I made a very strong offer on it. My initial thought was the book was a slam dunk 9.6. I based it on the books overall condition at the time. The small spine tic at the top was originally viewed as a defect. I have since seen 3-4 copies of X-Men 94 with the same mark. I assume it is production now, and as such would not be a deduction from the books technical grade. It is similar to the vertical speckling you see on Hulk 181's. Many Hulk 181's in 9.8 have that production defect.

It's on the book. It's a honking big scratch from when I read it on the toilet before I sent it in to be graded.

This book was supposed to grade a CGC 6.5 but CGC made a mistake. They flipped the 6, cut it in half and added it to the 5 and put a 9.8 on the label by mistake.

:roflmao:

That looks like a 9.8 to me. If the books condition doesnt tell you that, then the giant 9.8 on that piece of paper the company of professional graders placed there sure does give it away.

If you dont plan on buying the book, then why make a big deal out of it, come to the boards and cry about it, and bust peoples balls who give you an honest opinion on something you brought up. You want un-sugar coated truth? Take the money your going to use to buy your x-men book with and buy yourself a hug instead.

That looks like a 9.8 to me. If the books condition doesnt tell you that, then the giant 9.8 on that piece of paper the company of professional graders placed there sure does give it away.

If you dont plan on buying the book, then why make a big deal out of it, come to the boards and cry about it, and bust peoples balls who give you an honest opinion on something you brought up. You want un-sugar coated truth? Take the money your going to use to buy your x-men book with and buy yourself a hug instead.

Amen! :applause:

OH HA HHAA HAAA HAAAA! Thanks for that wonderful explanation!! You must be a comedian on the side!! lol!! Why is 6 afraid of 7? lol! Roy is definitely my new IDOL! Thanks brother!!!

Roy - that is a sweeeeet book and one that I am sure will place 12,000+ gold pieces in your satchel.

Why do people think that a 9.8 book can't have any defects?

Why do people think that a 9.9 can't have a defect?

If you're grading on a 10 point scale anything less than a 10 is going to have things that need to be subtracted. Does this make sense all you perfectionists?

And yes, grading is subjective - not only are you paying for a sweet phenomenal copy you are also paying for an opinion, not an established fact that should be used to prove something. The number on this book is not evidence to be used in court or to be used as proof of something. And if you don't agree with someone elses opinion go find another book.

Even Bo Derek had her flaws and she, most definitely, was a 10.

And I can't believe I got worked up and drawn into this debate. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

OH HA HHAA HAAA HAAAA! Thanks for that wonderful explanation!! You must be a comedian on the side!! lol!! Why is 6 afraid of 7? lol! Roy is definitely my new IDOL! Thanks brother!!!

Chill dude. This thread is annoying. That book is super sharp.

I think the book is very nice and surely a 9.8 book. I also agree that CGC makes mistakes and lots of books have more or less obvious defects on them, in the same grade.

Roy is a reputable collector and seller, I expect that what he states is the truth.

How about changing the subject, to end it. A buyer should always as much as possible, buy the book by trying to ignore the stated grade. Lots of things should affect the desirability of a collectable, regardless of the opinion of CGC or any seller.

Look at this "sweet" book from the recent auction. Tell us what you think the grade should be, and how do you place a price on it? I obscured the grade so that hopefully the original poster will see it soon enough to form an opinion first.

One hint, there is nothing on the back and graders notes list nothing on the outside of the comic. Note the PQ.

ASM60CGC80OWWCLinkauction0329122.jpg

From the way you've phrased it, I would guess lower than I would think at first.  I've seen some beautifully presenting 9.0s, so I'll go with that. 

I think the book is very nice and surely a 9.8 book. I also agree that CGC makes mistakes and lots of books have more or less obvious defects on them, in the same grade.

Roy is a reputable collector and seller, I expect that what he states is the truth.

How about changing the subject, to end it. A buyer should always as much as possible, buy the book by trying to ignore the stated grade. Lots of things should affect the desirability of a collectable, regardless of the opinion of CGC or any seller.

Look at this "sweet" book from the recent auction. Tell us what you think the grade should be, and how do you place a price on it? I obscured the grade so that hopefully the original poster will see it soon enough to form an opinion first.

One hint, there is nothing on the back and graders notes list nothing on the outside of the comic. Note the PQ.

ASM60CGC80OWWCLinkauction0329122.jpg

I blew up the image and based on what I cann see in the regular image as well as the negative image my professional opinion is 8.0.

Well I'm glad that book isn't in any grading contest because to me it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it!

I would've said a 9.6 / 9.8

I tried to increase the size of the scan as well in PS but it became too pixelated to make any sense of anything, aside from some possible color flecks.

Still...

I found the book and the grade and have to say, I'm a little shocked.