• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out here is this really a X-men 94 9.8?

106 posts in this topic

I think it is futile to discuss further on this book since Roy can't rescan and repost right now. He has said it before that there are smudges on the slab/scanner, ghost artifacts, maybe even a hair (I think/believe not what he said) so until if and when a better scan can be provided, it does no good to ponder whether there is a 2" scratch on the cover or printer creases by the Count (I am one of them that think so) or CGC misgraded anything.

I don't see a point in debating things that might not be there at all.

as far as 9.8 with flaws...yes they can have flaws, one tick on the spine is more common than you think. Plenty of miswrap bronze books with WHITE spine that have 1 or more ticks that can't be seen with a scan and can barely be seen in hands.

I sub many so i know from my own experiences that even 2 tiny ticks on a white spine can get a 9.8 grade if the rest of the book is flawless.

That being said...I have my shares of books that I think is 9.8 that didn't get 9.8 so this entire grading thing is not an exact science...never will be.

Hey gang, I suppose I should thank everyone in this thread.

The book just sold.

:ohnoez:

Great news! I'm happy to hear the media exposure here helped the sale! :golfclap:

Now Oak can call off his posse for backup. lol

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

Toggle...

Not sure exactly what that is but I like the sound of that word. :cloud9:

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Don't mess with that you might go blind. :roflmao:

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

I thought that was tuggle! lol

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

Toggle...

I thought that was tuggle! lol

lol

What an annoying thread. I'm glad the book sold so it can be over.

Moley - yes, you were boitching. When someone gave you an opinion - WHICH YOU ASKED FOR - you told them they were wrong.

Learn from this. For all our sakes.

:facepalm:

What an annoying thread. I'm glad the book sold so it can be over.

Moley - yes, you were boitching. When someone gave you an opinion - WHICH YOU ASKED FOR - you told them they were wrong.

Learn from this. For all our sakes.

Learn to read Curly - "Again, this is nothing personal against Roy, Oak or anyone else on here so please don't take it that way. I said in my previous post, I'll give the book grade a benefit of a doubt but you said yourself the scan hardly gives the book any justice and most high grade buyers put more stock into eye appeal than grade alone."

That being said...I have my shares of books that I think is 9.8 that didn't get 9.8 so this entire grading thing is not an exact science...never will be.

And vice-versa ;)

You should obscure the cert # too :gossip:

I didn't think anyone would check that. it's in the 4th session of last weeks auction.

ASM60CGC80OWWCLinkauction032912.jpg

This sold for $67, I'd love to have it except for the tanning of the interior covers.

I'm bothered much more about CGC's vague PQ standards than the slight differences between books of the same grade. How is a book with tanning interior covers called OW/W, ever? The label should reflect that very poor paper quality.

That book is beautiful! Looks 9.8 from the scan, I would of loved to get that for $67!

I gave a great hint, my last words, "Note the PQ."

The point was still, that the grade is supposed to be an overall condition of the book. Others have wisely pointed out that a picture shows very little of the overall book.

That X-Men 94 clearly by the 9.8 grading is a nearly perfect book, with the only things bringing it down being the tiny cover flaws. Sure there are going to be books that look perfect in the picture, but they often have hidden defects.

The picture is not everything. The grade in the picture can be more important than the appearance of the cover.

I agree..the grade gives you unbiased professional grading of where to start but it's not an absolute lock it always matches the grade.

I've seen some damn ugly 9.6's and 9.8's out there. The back covers may be perfect in those particular instances but the front covers hardly pass the eyeball test to match the grade IMHO..

I did miss the PQ hint you provided...sorry ready your post in haste as I was headed out the door. Tells me what I just stated though..CGC isn't perfect.

Damn dude,your still biotching about this book? Is your name Justin? Or are you just the biggest ball buster since JC. :roflmao:

I am? Wow didn't realize it, thanks for pointing that out to me as I'm having a conversation with another poster about grading in general. Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

:screwy:

Oak are you only good for trying to instigate a fight on here or what?

You need to learn respect my friend,that's when you earn respect.Instigator? I think not. (tsk)

Sorry Oak but I agree a lot of your post' in this thread were unnecessary. That is just my opinion. Maybe I should keep it to myself but really just ease up on Mjolnir! That's all. Have a good day all!

I gave a great hint, my last words, "Note the PQ."

The point was still, that the grade is supposed to be an overall condition of the book. Others have wisely pointed out that a picture shows very little of the overall book.

That X-Men 94 clearly by the 9.8 grading is a nearly perfect book, with the only things bringing it down being the tiny cover flaws. Sure there are going to be books that look perfect in the picture, but they often have hidden defects.

The picture is not everything. The grade in the picture can be more important than the appearance of the cover.

I agree..the grade gives you unbiased professional grading of where to start but it's not an absolute lock it always matches the grade.

I've seen some damn ugly 9.6's and 9.8's out there. The back covers may be perfect in those particular instances but the front covers hardly pass the eyeball test to match the grade IMHO..

I did miss the PQ hint you provided...sorry ready your post in haste as I was headed out the door. Tells me what I just stated though..CGC isn't perfect.

Damn dude,your still biotching about this book? Is your name Justin? Or are you just the biggest ball buster since JC. :roflmao:

I am? Wow didn't realize it, thanks for pointing that out to me as I'm having a conversation with another poster about grading in general. Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

:screwy:

Oak are you only good for trying to instigate a fight on here or what?

You need to learn respect my friend,that's when you earn respect.Instigator? I think not. (tsk)

Sorry Oak but I agree a lot of your post' in this thread were unnecessary. That is just my opinion. Maybe I should keep it to myself but really just ease up on Mjolnir! That's all. Have a good day all!

My posts unnecessary? this whole thread was unnecessary.The dooshnozzle asked for my opinion.I gave it,then gives me sheit because I agreed with the grade that didn't fit into his agenda.Which by the way he was never going to buy a 9.8 for 12K anyway.So why all the biotching about the book in the first place. :facepalm: